Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really disagree with any of that. But as you say, he is a top name and the best available. If we - as a club with a squad in need of major surgery who have just finished 7th in the league - want a manager like that, then it seems fair to say he'd want to make major changes. We are the ones asking him to drop a level and he clearly only wants to win, hence his leaving Inter in the first place.

I just took issue with the post that intimated he'd have bankrupted us. He didn't bankrupt Juventus as far as I know and Inter's circumstances seem like an issue with the overall finances of the owner, not just the club itself.

Not that any of it matters now, I am more interested in who else we sign!

I think its a less than black and white situation.

Technically, pragmatically, it is of course the board/club that sign the cheques, that spend the money.

But we all know it is often driven by the managers demands. And we have seen many times in the past clubs over reaching in attempts to support a managers desire.

We were appealling enough that Conte wanted to talk, we talked, it didnt work out.

Ive never understood the eagerness to use it as a stick to beat Levy with (speaking in the general, not of you specifically).

It was obvious going for Conte was an ambitious move, far from a dead cert - and that he would have heavy demands.

I dont blame us for trying, and that it didnt work out suggest to me his demands simply werent realistic for us. Thats life.

I agree with you, it doesnt really matter now. And I am absolutely intruiged and excited at the way our squad and team can shape up.

Again far from reality...

First of all : availability of resources is ALWAYS subjective for big fish.
If Messi would want to come here for total cost of 10 mil, but it would be above our transfer budget, we can always find a way. Either do take on some more loan, make special deal with some existing sponsor etc. Company / investor X could have 0 cash on deposit but if an asset becomes available for very good price for whatever reason - he could draw money by collaterizing some exisiting assets etc.

Second of all (and this one here has been explained multitude of times) : deal structures on current transfer market is not as it was in public marketplace in 1800s. It is not like "good x costs 10 pennies. drop them on my hand and I will hand over this good!". Deals are structured with installments, and it could be that this 80 mil outlay might be split into 4 and 1st installment can be only 15 mil maybe. With promise to deliver further payments in future (also look at Romero deal structure; initial outlay almost 0).

So yea, there are way more details to consider and it is logical that chairman has a say in big deals that might affect our spending power for 4-5 years into future.
You're saying that our DOF knowing how much we have to spend on players is far from reality?

Chavs are technically bankrupt if you factor in the £1.7BILLION that Abrohvic has spent and is OWED by the Club. Their revenues do not cover this debt, but it's OK because it's the Russian people who have had their mineral wealth removed from the country by Abramovic to finance the Chelsea vanity project.

Inter are on the verge of bankruptcy and he couldn't get out of the club fast enough knowing that he couldn't repeat what he'd done the previous year without the unprecedented investment that he was driving and toughing his toys out of the pram if that investment wasn't made (did exactly the same at Chavs too).
Not really like for like though as the spending at Chelsea is still within the guardrails of their ridiculous biz model and arguably no worse or better than other managers.

You're saying that our DOF knowing how much we have to spend on players is far from reality?
More that its a fluid situation, would be my understanding.

We have a plan, agreed a budget to work with, start making moves...

Suddenly a huge opportunity comes up - it changes the plan - means we need to rework what we can and should do. That would mean Levy needs to be involved in that re-adjusting of things.

The budget is not necessarily fixed, as I think TheSpurEst is trying to say, in "exceptional" circumstances money can be found, finances can be juggled etc - but its not just a short term thing. It would impact longer term plans/finances and so would need more than just Paratici to give it the ok.

He still would have to consult Levy & Lewis and the others on the board about every purchase. Do you think Levy all of a sudden does not want to have any say about incoming players?
Why do they need convincing though that Martinez is the player we need?

Well, it depends mate really. I'm very happy we have signed a defender, that's been the weakest area of our team. And we have signed a promising youngster and a backup goalkeeper (and the keeper looks decent in what we have seen of him). But it depends who else we buy and sell before we can say how good/ambitious the window has been.

I don't really disagree with any of that. But as you say, he is a top name and the best available. If we - as a club with a squad in need of major surgery who have just finished 7th in the league - want a manager like that, then it seems fair to say he'd want to make major changes. We are the ones asking him to drop a level and he clearly only wants to win, hence his leaving Inter in the first place.

I just took issue with the post that intimated he'd have bankrupted us. He didn't bankrupt Juventus as far as I know and Inter's circumstances seem like an issue with the overall finances of the owner, not just the club itself.

Not that any of it matters now, I am more interested in who else we sign!
And I'm allowed to take a dig at a "chav legend", who some sided with over and above Spurs.

The overall point is we are investing quite heavily (did last couple of seasons too) and are linked with some pretty further expensive options as targets.

Conte couldn't get out of Inter fast enough on the understanding they were fucked and he's nothing without that massive level of spending.

We finished 7th because we are managed by an absolute dinosaur, called it before he walking into the front door of Hotspur Way.

My apologies for the off topic, but do you know anything about new sponsorships?

Whether the Getir deal could be expanded to training kit/ground/stadium naming rights
Or whether there's some truth in ongoing talks with a ME airline

Hey Stanley! How you doing, homez? :)

More that its a fluid situation, would be my understanding.

We have a plan, agreed a budget to work with, start making moves...

Suddenly a huge opportunity comes up - it changes the plan - means we need to rework what we can and should do. That would mean Levy needs to be involved in that re-adjusting of things.

The budget is not necessarily fixed, as I think TheSpurEst is trying to say, in "exceptional" circumstances money can be found, finances can be juggled etc - but its not just a short term thing. It would impact longer term plans/finances and so would need more than just Paratici to give it the ok.
Really? I think Jol, Ramos, Redknapp, AVB, Poch, Mourinho would disagree.

Why do they need convincing though that Martinez is the player we need?
Because of the size of investment?

Give them confidence its the right thing to sign off £60m+ (seen up to €90m reported!)?

Ultimately Paratici convinced them NES is the way to go, so its not like theyre fighting him on these things - rather just looking for comfort in the deals?

Really? I think Jol, Ramos, Redknapp, AVB, Poch, Mourinho would disagree.

Why?

Under each of them we spent what we could. We reinvested on the back of sales, and simply invested as well.

Poch spent an utter fortune in his last window.

Off the top of my head Van Der Vaart was such an opportunity, relative peanuts today but was a fair investment in extra spend and wages at the time...

No. I am saying that your view of things is far from reality. Overly simplistic.
Resources availability is dynamic thing, it is not like "WHATERVER HAPPENS - WE CAN SPEND 100 MEUR". Different situations may occur, and additional resources can be found.

Or I also liked how he put it -

Conte was wanted, I'm sure there was some effort to bring him in, but he'll have wanted absolute assurance at time of signing that the club would spend a significant amount on players and keep Kane. He'll probably have requested Hakimi, or some specific few players that at the time the club weren't willing to promise. The club was likely putting forward a more modest spend, dependant on outgoings, sponsors etc. and it's still not fully clear if our spending will come from the sale of Kane. Conte wanted absolute assurance and when the club wouldn't give him that he lost faith in the ambition of the project. That was always my read on it anyway. Plus Levy probably found Conte to be harsh and mean and I can imagine he perhaps didn't want such an abrasive personality to deal with after a tough few years that will have bruised his ego.

Conte is a 200m per window man.... At the end of the day we aren't a 200m per window club.

Not really like for like though as the spending at Chelsea is still within the guardrails of their ridiculous biz model and arguably no worse or better than other managers.
Abramovic has personally pumped in £400m in the last 3(??) seasons!! There was a time prior to this when he hadn't put in any of his own money and that the books (for those years as stand-alone) were balanced, but the cheque book has been reopened for a while now.

IMO where they excel is on player sales, selling off their ageing players for absolute fortunes. But flip the coin and they still have a ton of players on massive wages that never kick a ball for them that they can afford to keep on the wage bill without moving them on, just look at their bench when we played them last week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom