Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
PRIORITY.....OUTPOSSIBLE OUTPOSSIBLE INPRIORITY........IN
Bale ✓
Vinicius ✓
Lamela
LucasATTACKRW/ Backup ST
(Ideally one who can play both??)
SissokoWinks (would be definite out if not HG)MIDFIELDKessié
(Only if 2 mids sold, 7 mids is too many)
Skipp ✓
AurierWING BACK/FBSessegnon ✓
Attacking RWB:
Dumfries/ Baku
Foyth (£13M ✓)
Dier
Sanchez
Toby (wants to leave, depends on attitude)CENTRE BACKAndersen
Vestegaard
Milenkovic
Tomiyasu (~✓)
C. Romero
Skriniar

Made a table which helped me visualise squad issues.
Doc Doc Serious issues with a suitable Bale replacement. Bergwijn won't reach his G/A tally.

Doc Doc Serious issues with a suitable Bale replacement. Bergwijn won't reach his G/A tally.

We need more goal contributions across the squad. Whichever of Ndombele / Lo Celso are playing a CAM, they should be targeting 8-10 goals from midfield.

If Dele is playing as part of the attack we know he has plenty of goals in him; and by the looks of his work over the summer he is ready to prove himself and step back up.

If we play a 3 -5 -2 , it wouldn't surprise me for Reggie/Sess/Doherty to chip in with a few goals too as they are all very attack minded and make runs into the box.

I still am not sure how we accommodate Lo Celso and Ndombele together in the team; even more so with Dele looking to stake a claim on the CAM or, as part of a front 3. With the money spent, they certainly weren't expected to be squad players. Where is Lo Celso playing for Argentina?

Based on what we have, is this our 'best' 11? Essentially Sanchez/Dier providing width at the back allowing full backs to move forward. PEH would need to play deep; alongside Rodon to mark the strikers. Unfortunately, this wold leave Ndombele to boss midfield transitions by himself - which we know he runs hot and cold - which would dictate 1 of the front 3 always dropping back to help out.

Lloris
Sanchez / Rodon / Dier
Doherty / PEH / Ndombele / Reggie
Alli / Kane / Son

The top right corner is the only position where I'm struggling to think of a suitable fit.

I support your Ronaldo idea. Let's hope he's keen on being the winner of the inaugural Europa Conference League. A trophy he's never won before.
I don't know if you follow American football but the latest (comparable) case study in professional sports is Tom Brady / Tampa Bay Bucs.

Tom Brady, a 43 year old QB left his team of ~20 years (New England Patriots), went to a below average team (Tampa Bay Bucs), and won a Super Bowl in his first year with them.

Tampa Bay basically gave him the role of general manager and allowed him to recruit whichever players we wanted to play with. They gave him the keys to the kingdom and he delivered. They are now the team to beat for the foreseeable future.

Ronaldo could be our Tom Brady. We just haven't considered that as an option yet and have not made an effort to grab him while he's out there! I would think that there isn't as much competition for his signature as we'd think. PSG? Man Utd? But even they wouldn't push that hard for a deal.

Our pitch to Ronaldo should be a 4 year deal and 150-200 million to bring in whatever players he wants to play with. If we could pull this off, we would literally go from being a club facing a painful rebuild process to THE club to watch on a global basis. Ronaldo, Kane, Son AND SISSIKO on one team? Game changing stuff.

If he brought a couple of major trophies to WHL, it would go down as one of his greatest accomplishments and cement his status as the greatest of all time.

BTW i'm half kidding about all this but at the same time, kind of serious.

P.S. Ronaldo and Nuno have the same agent...

Last edited:
We'll probably sign some forward/winger/creative midfielder before the summer is out. And the likes of Bergwijn, Dele, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Sessegnon, Doherty, Lucas, Reguilon will expect to post higher G/A totals this season. Not that they all will, but if three or four of them kick on we can have a decent season.

I don't know if you follow American football but the latest (comparable) case study in professional sports is Tom Brady / Tampa Bay Bucs.

Tom Brady, a 43 year old QB left his team of ~20 years (New England Patriots), went to a below average team (Tampa Bay Bucs), and won a Super Bowl in his first year with them.

Tampa Bay basically gave him the role of general manager and allowed him to recruit whichever players we wanted to play with. They gave him the keys to the kingdom and he delivered. They are now the team to beat for the foreseeable future.

Ronaldo could be our Tom Brady. We just haven't considered that as an option yet and have not made an effort to grab him while he's out there! I would think that there isn't as much competition for his signature as we'd think. PSG? Man Utd? But even they wouldn't push that hard for a deal.

Our pitch to Ronaldo should be a 4 year deal and 150-200 million to bring in whatever players he wants to play with. If we could pull this off, we would literally go from being a club facing a painful rebuild process to THE club to watch on a global basis. Ronaldo, Kane, Son AND SISSIKO on one team? Game changing stuff.

If he brought a couple of major trophies to WHL, it would go down as one of his greatest accomplishments and cement his status as the greatest of all time.

Our rebuild plan cannot be built around a player who will turn 37 this season. Ronaldo, Kane, Son - You want our front 3 to be (37, 28 and 29 years old)? That's a fine rebuild :)

If he was still capable of of carrying a team; why didn't Portugal progress in the Euros? Why did Juventus finish 4th?

Let's focus on the next best thing; not yesterday's players.

We need more goal contributions across the squad. Whichever of Ndombele / Lo Celso are playing a CAM, they should be targeting 8-10 goals from midfield.
Completely agree that we need more goal contributions across the squad.
Ndombele and GLC can perhaps get 8 goals combined in the PL, but realistically we also need a RW who can get G/A like Bale did.

If we play a 3 -5 -2 , it wouldn't surprise me for Reggie/Sess/Doherty to chip in with a few goals too as they are all very attack minded and make runs into the box.
Yep, and perhaps Nuno is on the same page.

I am not too keen on Doherty. It's true he can play high up the pitch, as he showed at Nuno's Wolves where he got goals & assists. However, his lack of recovery pace meant that a Wolves midfielder had to cover for him at RB.
This essentially sacrificed the centre of the pitch, so the team was not that 'attack minded' despite Doherty bombing forward.
My preference would be a RWB who is attacking, but also has pace to sprint back, such as Baku.

Where is Lo Celso playing for Argentina?
LCM

Lloris
Sanchez / Rodon / Dier
Doherty / PEH / Ndombele / Reggie
Alli / Kane / Son
This may be our best XI right now for a 3-4-3. But it shows we seriously need transfers in.

Our rebuild plan cannot be built around a player who will turn 37 this season. Ronaldo, Kane, Son - You want our front 3 to be (37, 28 and 29 years old)? That's a fine rebuild :)

If he was still capable of of carrying a team; why didn't Portugal progress in the Euros? Why did Juventus finish 4th?

A few points -

Now that our manager debacle has come to an end, Kane and/or Son are likely to leave in the absence of any drastic moves. If and when Kane does leave, we're not going to be able to attract the kind of players we want/need. It will be the most painful rebuild in recent memory.

With a signing like Ronaldo, Kane and Son would stay - 100%. Both of these guys look up to Ronaldo and both have cited him as a role model/inspiration.

Ronaldo would not have to carry Spurs alone with the likes of Kane and Son playing alongside him. We would literally have the most lethal front 3 in the world. I think we can both agree that Ronaldo is still a top 5 attacker in the world.

With a global superstar like Ronaldo + Kane and Son on our side, recruiting younger talent would be a much easier task. We are suddenly an attractive destination for ANY player.

Last but not least, we would be THE TEAM to watch globally. We'd be making so much money that spending 200 million + to help strengthen our backline and midfield would not be a problem. I can assure you, every Spurs match in Asia would likely be must see TV with Ronaldo/Son playing on the same side. The Spurs brand would change instantly.

Last edited:

You never hear of timber framed homes? Build them things in a few days…

:sonpoint:

P.S. Ronaldo and Nuno have the same agent...

TB are not the team to beat for the foreseeable future and win the Super Bowl due to a lot of luck and injuries to opponents rather than anything Tom did.

TB are not the team to beat for the foreseeable future and win the Super Bowl due to a lot of luck and injuries to opponents rather than anything Tom did.
Oh stop it. He was the GM and recruited several pro bowlers that they would not have been able to get. TB was still a top 10 QB in the league. They will be the favorites heading into next season. Did you see what they did to the Chiefs??

Before TB joined, no one was talking about the Bucs.

Oh stop it. He was the GM and recruited several pro bowlers that they would not have been able to get. TB was still a top 10 QB in the league. They will be the favorites heading into next season. Did you see what they did to the Chiefs??

Before TB joined, no one was talking about the Bucs.

That is not what happened at all. Which Pro Bowlers did he recruit?

Yes I saw what they did to a Chiefs team without 4 starters on their O-Line.

A few points -

Now that our manager debacle has come to an end, Kane and/or Son are likely to leave in the absence of any drastic moves. If and when Kane does leave, we're not going to be able to attract the kind of players we want/need. It will be the most painful rebuild in recent memory.

With a signing like Ronaldo, Kane and Son would stay - 100%. Both of these guys look up to Ronaldo and both have cited him as a role model/inspiration.

Ronaldo would not have to carry Spurs alone with the likes of Kane and Son playing alongside him. We would literally have the most lethal front 3 in the world. I think we can both agree that Ronaldo is still a top 5 attacker in the world.

With a global superstar like Ronaldo + Kane and Son on our side, recruiting younger talent would be a much easier task. We are suddenly an attractive destination for ANY player.

Last but not least, we would be THE TEAM to watch globally. We'd be making so much money that spending 200 million + to help strengthen our backline and midfield would not be a problem. I can assure you, every Spurs match in Asia would likely be must see TV with Ronaldo/Son playing on the same side. The Spurs brand would change instantly.
Ok I’m new here, but is this a serious post?

Ronaldo as 'GM'

Reaction Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom