Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t be bothered to list them all out for you. Take a look at their 2020 signings and resignings. There are several pro bowlers and hall of famers on that list.

You mean guys who were Pro Bowlers before TB and Hall of Famers based in their play before TB.

Yes he got some old guys that used to be good to come there. The guys that won them the SB were there before him.

Because we usually miss out on the target and end up with a different “version” of the target and inevitably that’s just throwing money around, usually down the toilet..

Do we? Seems to me we have built a pretty decent squad operating this way.

And despite the keyboard accountants online, I suspect we dont actually know the intricacies of the clubs cash flow, resources, and further intentions in the window. For example - just throw £2m at it like MouraThat wants - and a deal later in the window just doesnt have the funding anymore.

Get the best price, but understand the value of time and of certainty in making future moves.

A couple million it takes a whole summer to extract is a wildly expensive waste of scarce resources.
I think we have seen, sometimes thats just how it works.

Because its £2m.

That to a business like Spurs is NOTHING
£2,000,000

Not nothing, ever.

Its a significant amount of money to any business not backed by a nation or oligarch.

I certainly appreciate the "just get it done" impulse. And I think its fair to say there have been times in the past where we should have done. But, also - times when we shouldnt.

Fact is, we know we are playing with a tight budget this summer, and so it can make all the difference to get moves done at the right prices. "£2,000,000 is NOTHING!" a over every move during the summer adds up significantly - to the degree where it may stop us from getting a player we really need.

It also doesnt help when every club you approach knows "Just get it done, £2,00,000 is NOTHING" is how you operate.

Very hard without CL

This window for me should be as much about getting rid of shit-cunts like Winks, Sissko, Dier, Lamela and Sachez as it is about signing good players
Completely agree on this.

We need more goal contributions across the squad. Whichever of Ndombele / Lo Celso are playing a CAM, they should be targeting 8-10 goals from midfield.
If Dele is playing as part of the attack we know he has plenty of goals in him; and by the looks of his work over the summer he is ready to prove himself and step back up.

If we play a 3 -5 -2 , it wouldn't surprise me for Reggie/Sess/Doherty to chip in with a few goals too as they are all very attack minded and make runs into the box.

I still am not sure how we accommodate Lo Celso and Ndombele together in the team; even more so with Dele looking to stake a claim on the CAM or, as part of a front 3. With the money spent, they certainly weren't expected to be squad players. Where is Lo Celso playing for Argentina?

Based on what we have, is this our 'best' 11? Essentially Sanchez/Dier providing width at the back allowing full backs to move forward. PEH would need to play deep; alongside Rodon to mark the strikers. Unfortunately, this wold leave Ndombele to boss midfield transitions by himself - which we know he runs hot and cold - which would dictate 1 of the front 3 always dropping back to help out.

Lloris
Sanchez / Rodon / Dier
Doherty / PEH / Ndombele / Reggie
Alli / Kane / Son
I like the ideas, but please for the love of god can we have Sanchez nowhere near the first XI……

Do we? Seems to me we have built a pretty decent squad operating this way.

And despite the keyboard accountants online, I suspect we dont actually know the intricacies of the clubs cash flow, resources, and further intentions in the window. For example - just throw £2m at it like MouraThat wants - and a deal later in the window just doesnt have the funding anymore.

I think we have seen, sometimes thats just how it works.

£2,000,000

Not nothing, ever.

Its a significant amount of money to any business not backed by a nation or oligarch.

I certainly appreciate the "just get it done" impulse. And I think its fair to say there have been times in the past where we should have done. But, also - times when we shouldnt.

Fact is, we know we are playing with a tight budget this summer, and so it can make all the difference to get moves done at the right prices. "£2,000,000 is NOTHING!" a over every move during the summer adds up significantly - to the degree where it may stop us from getting a player we really need.

It also doesnt help when every club you approach knows "Just get it done, £2,00,000 is NOTHING" is how you operate.

"Just get it done" would have meant paying 80m and 90m starting prices on Ndombele & Gio respectively.

I see some people including Dele in their current 11's.

He is not in our current first 11. I doubt on performances he would even make our second 11.

If we can't be honest about what we have then we have no chance of building a decent squad.

Please stop yourself. He is far from awful.
He is a World Cup semi finalist and was a regular member of a top 4 side.
He lost form under an erratic manager last season..
Not a single chance he will be sold this summer. Not a chance.
Rodon will be sold IMO. Toby will leave.
You and others need to get real.
dier by name dier by nature also known as the fridge hes going

Please stop yourself. He is far from awful.
He is a World Cup semi finalist and was a regular member of a top 4 side.
He lost form under an erratic manager last season..
Not a single chance he will be sold this summer. Not a chance.
Rodon will be sold IMO. Toby will leave.
You and others need to get real.
He’s a very different player to 3 years ago and certainly 4 or 5 years ago when he was quality. He’s about two stone heavier for starters and who knows what that illness has done to him

Don’t be a simpleton. Can he get back to that level of performance? Possibly. Will he? Unlikely IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom