Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most that we have ever spent on players has given us what?

Lamela was arecord signing (at that time) has managed less than twenty games a season more often than not as sub.

Sanchez a 42 million dud.

Berj, N'Dombele, LoCelso one hundred million plus. For what?

It's not about how much you spend it's about who you spend it on. And Levy has brought some fucking shite.
Levy's insistence that he can do everything is the main problem at Spurs. You don't find CEOs of major corporations hiring the cleaning staff.

He made all the purchases above, that's a stuff-up. But an even bigger stuff-up are those he turned away because he felt he could get for a few quid less or he didn't get along with someone.

I know alot aren't his fault but alot are. Now Paratici also just seems to be a window dressing.

Is it? If that’s the case I’d hate to see what academy’s are below us in the pecking order.

And I’m sorry, but how can Pochs ethos be blamed when literally none of the crop of youth players he had at his disposal have gone on to any kind of success since they have left?

You mention Mason, Bentaleb, Townsend, Carroll, Veljkovic.
Mason was one of our main squad players for two years under Poch before being rightly sold. Bentaleb would have been our main midfielder if he wasn’t such a complete prick as can be seen by his conduct since he has left.
Townsend and Carroll? You having a laugh? Townsend was painfully average and Carroll only stayed at the club so long because he’s Harry Kane’s best friend.
Veljkovic I can’t comment on tbf because I’ve genuinely never seen him play.
They mightn't have gone on to be superstars, but do you think we would have been worse off had we kept Mason or used Onomah and not bothered with Sissoko? Velkjovic and not bothered with Foyth? Townsend and not bothered with N'jie and N'koudou? Kept KWP and not bothered with Aurier?

Because that's about £80m worth of signings, not to mention wages, that arguably contributed nothing worthwhile whilst also seeing our HG qualified players dwindle to the bare minimum.

Imagine if we hadn't wasted so much on squad players and just focused that money on one or two genuine quality additions here and there.

Edit: And yes, this is all with the benefit of hindsight, but the club employs people, presumably well paid, to make these assessments, who should be getting it right more often than not, yet they repeatedly aren't.

And you can point to KWP and say Poch and Mourinho both deemed him not good enough, but by that logic, they both deemed Aurier good enough, they aren't infallible.

Or we haven't been able to announce it yet due to Euro's/USWNT Olympic warm up matches/new Loki episodes/Black Widow finally coming out/forecasts of rain...

Can't have us announcing the Japanese RB/CB that no-one had ever heard of until last Tuesday being overshadowed...

Wheres this 'mystery player' that we were meant to be announcing when the manager signed?

Or have i been done by the click baiters..
Think it was something reported by the Athletic a while back. If there was any truth to it, I assumed it to be Andersen at the time.

If every top-prospect at Spurs had lived up to the “potential” many Spurs fans believe they have, then Spurs most probably could have won the EPL with 11 academy players. But the fact is that most top prospect never ends up being top players. Look at academies that are far better than Spurs’ – f.ex., (clubs that prey on other clubs’ academies) Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea. How many of their top prospects make it to the top? Very few.
Where are those players now after they got their chances…

Mason had 53 games for Spurs, so plenty of chances; and he started out well, and even got a England cap; but then his form dipped and was sold to Hull.
Carrol had 60 games for Spurs, so he too had plenty of games to impress. Besides, between 2011 & 2015 he was loaned out to 4 different clubs, before being sold to Swansea. Where he has exactly been brilliant.
Veljkovic is at Werder Bremen, where he’s a regular in a team that was relegated to Bundesliga 2. He’s a regular, yes, but – at 25 – not a regular at the Serbian national team.
Townsend played 50 games for Spurs, and between 2009 & 2013 he was loaned out to 9 different clubs, so he had plenty of chances to impress while at Spurs and, later, at Crystal P. He no doubt had speed and dribbling skills with a decent shot, but he clearly lacked “football intelligence”.
Bentaleb played 46 games for Spurs. Talented player but he had attitude problems, which become more obvious at Schalke; where he also did not live up to his potential.

So all the mentioned players got enough chances to shine at Spurs and even after being sold also did not shine at “lesser” clubs. It’s not always the club’s fault…

I've made the point a few times that the Academy, for the most part, wil turn out squad players, and these will play a part for Spurs for a few years - which is totally different to saying every top prospect will make the first team. A good example would be that Masion/Bentaleb played as CM's in Poc's first season, doing well and keeping Dembele on the bench.

Equally Townsend had his game changed a lot by AVB, and under Poch was a rotation option for Lamela as RW.

I could go on, but all the above served a turn as being decent squad players for a few years, which was worthwhile in itself.

The sale of academy players in the first couple of years of Poch also totalled over £100m -sadly misused by buying players who were not the best, and we now want to get rid of (cough Sissoko, et al) - but the net efffect was still ...... Not buying squad players = big saving and getting £100m in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom