Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it was discussed in here, but one takeaway I had from our match vs. Fulham is I would like us to make a run at Andersen, guy looked great at CB imo.

I know he's on loan from Lyon, so not sure what the deal is there. But with him being on loan and the finances of French football, he'd hopefully be a cheapish pickup. He may not be elite yet but he's got a lot of tools and has been effective.

Him and Rodon would make an interesting long term CB pairing.
Very good again today

I thought I read somewhere that he is pretty slow or flat footed. Could be wrong I have not seen him play much. I like that he plays on the left but then remember reading a few concerning things about him that moved me away from him but can't remember where now.

I don't love the 3 at the back idea so would prefer just getting a real RB. I am not as down on Aarons as many so he makes way too much sense to me. Keep one of Aurier or Doherty depending on what we can get for each, or ditch both if we can get good deals for both, to be the back-up.
Can you source this?

This analysis indicates he is pretty quick and very good with the ball at his feet:

Can you source this?

This analysis indicates he is pretty quick and very good with the ball at his feet:

I can look to see where I read it, but that is why I asked and didn't state it because I can't remember where I read it so was looking to see if I was just misremembering it. I know I was keen on Torres because of him being on the left but moved away after some concerning reports. I will try to figure out where I heard it from.

Like the way that you have replaced both most of the 'weakest players' ( as fans perceive them) as well as those with only one year left on contract - so exits for Moura, Lamela, Vinicius (loan not renewed), Sissoko, Winks, Aurier and Lloris.

But as I say, moving on 3 forwards (Vinicius, Lamela and Moura) with one (Belotti) leaves us short.
Yep, that's exactly my thinking.

The problem is, I think even a £40M net spend may be unrealistic.

This is £29M net spend, and that's without a replacement for Vinicius:

Lloris & Gazza (15M) → Pope (40M)
Aurier → 2 year extension till 2024
Davies (7M) → Sessegnon
Dier (25M) → Milenkovic (25M)
Sanchez & Foyth (27M) → P. Torres (50M)
Sissoko & Lamela (12M) → Skipp
Alli (30M) → Sabitzer (30M)
Vinicius → ???
Net Spend: £29M

Visual of squad:

Yep, that's exactly my thinking.

The problem is, I think even a £40M net spend may be unrealistic.

This is £29M net spend, and that's without a replacement for Vinicius:

Lloris & Gazza (15M) → Pope (40M)
Aurier → 2 year extension till 2024
Davies (7M) → Sessegnon
Dier (25M) → Milenkovic (25M)
Sanchez & Foyth (27M) → P. Torres (50M)
Sissoko & Lamela (12M) → Skipp
Alli (30M) → Sabitzer (30M)
Vinicius → ???
Net Spend: £29M

Visual of squad:

Too much spend (£75m) on 2 CB's for me - I'd just buy one and get in another goalscoring AM/CM or versatile forward.

Imo Dier and Sanchez are shite and the sooner we replace them with 2 new CBs the better.
Sabitzer does score goals, and is a versatile midfielder.

Who would you bring in as a back up to our front 3?

If you don't spend £50m on Torres we might even afford Sancho - not so much a back up as a genuine first team alternative.

But might settle for Toney if Brentford don't go up. But must be a few possibilities at the level of fee Toney would command (even Maja on loan at Fulham) t?

BTW, don't disagree with your comments on CB, but if you look at PL table, we've conceded fewer goals than all but about 2 other clubs, so maybe not as bad as our fanbase think. And we'll be replacing Toby in summer 2022 and haven't really integrated Rodon or Tanganga yet so think one more in is enough atm

Who would you bring in as a back up to our front 3?

I know we are all excited about Bale, and I hope he can keep it up, but I think what would be ideal is bringing in some who can start in the front 3 with Kane and Son, or back-up if Bale is able to stay at this level for next season and slide into the middle if Kane is out.

Someone like (but not) Zaha. I think some names that could fit the bill would be Leao (AC Milan) and perhaps Dembele (Lyon) or Eduoard (Celtic) but not sure if they could be options on the wing. Also not sure if Dembele or Leao would even be available.

I would then look at having a 3rd option, HG, cheap as a pure striker option that could play in Europa League, early domestic Cups and be a potential hail mary/late game option when down but not have to be relied on to replace Kane in PL if he is out/needs rest.

BTW, don't disagree with your comments on CB, but if you look at PL table, we've conceded fewer goals than all but about 2 other clubs, so maybe not as bad as our fanbase think. And we'll be replacing Toby in summer 2022 and haven't really integrated Rodon or Tanganga yet so think one more in is enough atm

I think our low GA totals have more to do with how we have set up so deep and defensively. It would be wrong to look at that and think that we are ok at the back.

What we want to do is be able to open it up and feel comfortable leaving the four at the back to handle things and I am not sure many are comfortable doing that with the CBs that we have.

Anderson from fulham. Edouard from celtic. Think theyd fit right in and wont break the bank
Better than what we have, and here's the real point time to fit in?

What almost every PL teams have today in the CB position is elite. Again. Elite. It's down to systems and coaching and relationships

If you don't spend £50m on Torres we might even afford Sancho - not so much a back up as a genuine first team alternative.
Sanchez being sold offset the Torres signing though. So the net spend from that was approx £25M.
Sancho will cost £80M+ I think.

But might settle for Toney if Brentford don't go up. But must be a few possibilities at the level of fee Toney would command ?
I like Toney, who will be likely available for just under £30M. Would you prefer:

a) Sell Sanchez & Dier, replace with Milenkovic & Torres. No Toney. Net spend £25M.
b) Sell Sanchez or Dier, replace with Milenkovic & Toney. Net spend £30M.

I'd personally prioritise 2 new CBs, with Toby declining, than a £30M back up for Kane.

Can you source this?

It was from the other matches thread in the general football forum around December 29th.

Totti Totti and todd1882 todd1882 were talking about Torres, so I think that is where I got my information from. Sorry I am not tech savy so do not know how to link to the exact posts.

No you fucken idiot, I disagree with your dismissal of Gilmour as a top quality player.

Too much Scotch and too little brain.

Arsehole comment.

Devine scared the shit out of Chelsea both at u18 and i21 level. Skipp is showing his colours on loan at Norwich and proving to look better than Gilmour is.

So why the fuck do we need to look at Gilmore ?

Too much Scotch and too little brain.

Arsehole comment.

Devine scared the shit out of Chelsea both at u18 and i21 level. Skipp is showing his colours on loan at Norwich and proving to look better than Gilmour is.

So why the fuck do we need to look at Gilmore ?
Skipp hasn't shown the quality that Gilmour has. Nowhere near. I would have Gilmour and Skipp in the same squad.
Winks might have lost his shine and Sissoko will probably leave this summer. There's space for Skipp and Gilmour.

Apologies if you thought my earlier comment was an arsehole comment, but that's the price of objective clarity.

I know we are all excited about Bale, and I hope he can keep it up, but I think what would be ideal is bringing in some who can start in the front 3 with Kane and Son, or back-up if Bale is able to stay at this level for next season and slide into the middle if Kane is out.

Someone like (but not) Zaha.
👍 Someone like but not Zaha nails it.

Issue with a purely CF back-up is they would rely on Kane injury to get PL starts. It's not worth spending a lot of cash on that, and no top player would be attracted to that role anyway.
Need Zaha-ilk. A RW who can play CF would be ideal as Bale is injury prone and will need regular rest regardless.

I think some names that could fit the bill would be Leao (AC Milan) and perhaps Dembele (Lyon) or Eduoard (Celtic) but not sure if they could be options on the wing. Also not sure if Dembele or Leao would even be available.
Leao plays across front 3 which is perfect. He's got 5 goals and 5 assists in 17 starts in Serie A, which is good but not great. Issue would be price: aged 21 and long contract, I think he'd command £35M+.
Dembele and Eduoard are pure CFs, so don't fit.
If you look at the net spend calculation in post #1086, can we really afford £35M+ on a forward while still addressing GK and CB issues?

I would then look at having a 3rd option, HG, cheap as a pure striker option that could play in Europa League, early domestic Cups and be a potential hail mary/late game option when down but not have to be relied on to replace Kane in PL if he is out/needs rest.
I can't think of anyone who would fit this bill. Promote Scarlett to first team squad early?

I can't think of anyone who would fit this bill. Promote Scarlett to first team squad early?

My thought was potentially Parrott, but that was before he had a tough season so I think he needs to go on loan again.

I think maybe an older guy like (again not necessarily these exact guys) like a Gayle or Welbeck. Hopefully someone better that fits the bill, but someone who would be cheap, doesn't need to play to develop, could be inserted in and do the job at striker (in that I mean the experience in the role) but could sit on the bench for long stretches as well. Again for me this is a 3rd choice option that would play about as much as Vinicius has this year for us. Not someone who will be great but fills a HG slot and is a break in case of emergency. That is why HG and cheap are my key factors. Also would be very low on the importance role for me.

Skipp hasn't shown the quality that Gilmour has. Nowhere near. I would have Gilmour and Skipp in the same squad.
Winks might have lost his shine and Sissoko will probably leave this summer. There's space for Skipp and Gilmour.

Apologies if you thought my earlier comment was an arsehole comment, but that's the price of objective clarity.

Too much scotch

Go to bed and sober up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom