Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think our low GA totals have more to do with how we have set up so deep and defensively. It would be wrong to look at that and think that we are ok at the back.

What we want to do is be able to open it up and feel comfortable leaving the four at the back to handle things and I am not sure many are comfortable doing that with the CBs that we have.

Its a compromise.

I doubt if we will be able to bring in more than 6 'quality' players and with the number of holes we need to fill and I'd be reluctant to devote so much to CB's

I'd also suggest that our CB's are currently under more pressure as in CM we seem to need to use Sissoko who adds little to either defence or setting off attacks and we don't have the depth to rotate Ndombele (as Lo Celso has only played 90 minutes 2 or 3 times this season) and Hojbjerg has no natural back up, with the result that Ndombele and Hojbjerg are over played. Add say Sabitzer to replace Sissoko and Skipp returning from loan (and surely Lo Celso cannot be as injured as this season) and suddenly we add numbers and quality to CM which is likely to both add creativity going forward and better defensive security.

And with a better CM our defence under less pressure even the current CB's would look better.

That's part of the implication.
dennis-reynolds-implication-its-always-sunny.jpg

Sanchez being sold offset the Torres signing though. So the net spend from that was approx £25M.
Sancho will cost £80M+ I think.

I like Toney, who will be likely available for just under £30M. Would you prefer:

a) Sell Sanchez & Dier, replace with Milenkovic & Torres. No Toney. Net spend £25M.
b) Sell Sanchez or Dier, replace with Milenkovic & Toney. Net spend £30M.

I'd personally prioritise 2 new CBs, with Toby declining, than a £30M back up for Kane.

Rumours are that ManU are now trying to wrap up a deal at £50m for Sancho - Dortmund need to sell after losing their shirts financially even before covid.

Certainly worth a look - bring in a 20 year old HG forward where other than Bergwijn all others are in late 20's, so its preparing for future by bringing in a top player who we could certainly use short term too

Its a compromise.

I doubt if we will be able to bring in more than 6 'quality' players and with the number of holes we need to fill and I'd be reluctant to devote so much to CB's

I'd also suggest that our CB's are currently under more pressure as in CM we seem to need to use Sissoko who adds little to either defence or setting off attacks and we don't have the depth to rotate Ndombele (as Lo Celso has only played 90 minutes 2 or 3 times this season) and Hojbjerg has no natural back up, with the result that Ndombele and Hojbjerg are over played. Add say Sabitzer to replace Sissoko and Skipp returning from loan (and surely Lo Celso cannot be as injured as this season) and suddenly we add numbers and quality to CM which is likely to both add creativity going forward and better defensive security.

And with a better CM our defence under less pressure even the current CB's would look better.

I think adjusting our style and improving our midfield so that we are not so reliant on letting the other team have the ball is certainly going to help but I also think that our CB's outside of Toby are not good enough especially in terms of ball playing ability. That is something I would definitely like to see improved. They don't all need to ping the perfect long balls like Toby can but they also should be comfortable dealing with the ball and not put the fear of god into fans when they do have to play it like they currently do.

I think adjusting our style and improving our midfield so that we are not so reliant on letting the other team have the ball is certainly going to help but I also think that our CB's outside of Toby are not good enough especially in terms of ball playing ability. That is something I would definitely like to see improved. They don't all need to ping the perfect long balls like Toby can but they also should be comfortable dealing with the ball and not put the fear of god into fans when they do have to play it like they currently do.

Crudely I'd suggest that Dier is more of a 'defensive destroyer' with creativity/passing ability being low in his attributes, whilst Sanchez has speed to snuff out danger as his natural attribute, so again passing ability is not high on his attributes. Alderweireld has exceptional passing ability, particularly his long passes which he used to great effect to help Dele score a few goals in around 16/17.

If you replaced Dier with say Andersen (Lyon/Fulham) you'd certainly get a better passer/general upgrade but maybe less of a 'brawler/strong defender' .

Sometimes its useful to have a CB with speed, and that's what Sanchez and Tanganga both have.

Crudely I'd suggest that Dier is more of a 'defensive destroyer' with creativity/passing ability being low in his attributes, whilst Sanchez has speed to snuff out danger as his natural attribute, so again passing ability is not high on his attributes. Alderweireld has exceptional passing ability, particularly his long passes which he used to great effect to help Dele score a few goals in around 16/17.

If you replaced Dier with say Andersen (Lyon/Fulham) you'd certainly get a better passer/general upgrade but maybe less of a 'brawler/strong defender' .

Sometimes its useful to have a CB with speed, and that's what Sanchez and Tanganga both have.

I think Andersen looks like he would be a great addition, although I am always leery of overrating guys we just saw play well against us, but he has shown in his pre-Lyon days and for Fulham all season that he is good.

I just don't like that Sanchez and Dier both panic with the ball at their feet resulting more often than not in terrible plays. Rodon hasn't had as much time with it but doesn't look particularly good on the ball either. Tanganga might not be a great passer but he is more than competent at running with the ball so I am not nervous about him dealing with it if he gets it.

I think Andersen looks like he would be a great addition, although I am always leery of overrating guys we just saw play well against us, but he has shown in his pre-Lyon days and for Fulham all season that he is good.

I just don't like that Sanchez and Dier both panic with the ball at their feet resulting more often than not in terrible plays. Rodon hasn't had as much time with it but doesn't look particularly good on the ball either. Tanganga might not be a great passer but he is more than competent at running with the ball so I am not nervous about him dealing with it if he gets it.

Whilst not perfect I think the Alderweireld/Sanchez partnership looks to have a bit of everything - Alderweireld with great passing and anticipation with Sanchez with speed which also helps him to recover from any defensive errors.

IMO if we get another like Alderweireld with great passing we can get away in most matches with playing a less accomplished speedster like Sanchez alongside. Not ideal I know but certainly enough for most opponents - so for me someone like Andersen or Milenkovic coming in would help to be a good long term successor to Alderweireld and be fine to play with Sanchez next season.

Summer 2022, we'd bring in someone to replace Alderweirld

And in the short term e haven't really seen much of Rodon or Tanganga as CB's so we can't try to integrate more than one player next summer.

Whilst not perfect I think the Alderweireld/Sanchez partnership looks to have a bit of everything - Alderweireld with great passing and anticipation with Sanchez with speed which also helps him to recover from any defensive errors.

IMO if we get another like Alderweireld with great passing we can get away in most matches with playing a less accomplished speedster like Sanchez alongside. Not ideal I know but certainly enough for most opponents - so for me someone like Andersen or Milenkovic coming in would help to be a good long term successor to Alderweireld and be fine to play with Sanchez next season.

Summer 2022, we'd bring in someone to replace Alderweirld

And in the short term e haven't really seen much of Rodon or Tanganga as CB's so we can't try to integrate more than one player next summer.

I think Sanchez has been able to survive thanks to the opponents more than anything. Even against Fulham we only got by with him because of the stupid rule and luck that it hit his arm and not an inch over.

Against good teams I do not think Sanchez is a great option even with Toby there to babysit him, especially if the plan is to sit back and give away possession.

I think if we fixed the CB position and RB position suddenly we have a great team.

I think the CAM while it was a priority with actually Dele/Lo Celso/Moura/Lamela all comfortable playing there we actually have good depth in that position all of a sudden.

We need a top class CB , Sanchez/Alderweireld has limitations like seen yesterday.
We also need a RB because Aurier is injury prone and he may leave in the summer with his contract situation + I maintain that while he's has a good season we can do better than him.

I think Sanchez has been able to survive thanks to the opponents more than anything. Even against Fulham we only got by with him because of the stupid rule and luck that it hit his arm and not an inch over.

Against good teams I do not think Sanchez is a great option even with Toby there to babysit him, especially if the plan is to sit back and give away possession.

Sanchez was pretty decent when he used to play next to Verts. Get a top line CB and Sanchez, Rodon and whoever else will look far better.

Sanchez was pretty decent when he used to play next to Verts. Get a top line CB and Sanchez, Rodon and whoever else will look far better.

I would rather a guy that doesn't need to be babysat but if we can't ship out everyone and Sanchez has to stay yes he can be used selectively if we have better players to pair him with.

I don't think that plan works when playing the top teams or CL which we will hopefully be playing sooner rather than later.

I think if we fixed the CB position and RB position suddenly we have a great team.

I think the CAM while it was a priority with actually Dele/Lo Celso/Moura/Lamela all comfortable playing there we actually have good depth in that position all of a sudden.

We need a top class CB , Sanchez/Alderweireld has limitations like seen yesterday.
We also need a RB because Aurier is injury prone and he may leave in the summer with his contract situation + I maintain that while he's has a good season we can do better than him.

We have always had a great squad. Everyone going into the season was excited with what we had and what we had bought. Bale, Kane and Son is on paper the best front three in the league, our weakness is obvious, it’s CB.

It’s been an absolute waste playing defensive football for half the season when all our power is at the front. We do not have the players for our CB’s to be under pressure for 70% of the game but we do have the players for all guns blazing football. I am glad Jose is starting to work that out.

Kane, Son, Bale, Lucas, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Regulion, Lamela, Bergwijn, Vinnie, Dele is an outstanding set of attacking players. At the other end we are average, play to our strengths.

We don’t even need much through to fix the defence. A top CB, maybe another top RB and bring Skipp back.

Last edited:
Better than what we have, and here's the real point time to fit in?

What almost every PL teams have today in the CB position is elite. Again. Elite. It's down to systems and coaching and relationships
Hard to know. Anderson seems to be stepping up big time for fulham. Looked as good as anything we have at centre half i think. Edouard is a step up on vinny but not on what we have starting

We have always had a great squad. Everyone going into the season was excited with what we had and what we had bought. Bale, Kane and Son is on paper the best front three in the league, our weakness is obvious, it’s CB.

It’s been an absolute waste playing defensive football for half the season when all our power is at the front. We do not have the players for our CB’s to be under pressure for 70% of the game but we do have the players for all guns blazing football. I am glad Jose is starting to work that out.

Kane, Son, Bale, Lucas, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Regulion, Lamela, Bergwijn, Vinnie, Dele is an outstanding set of attacking players. At the other end we are average, play to our strengths.

We don’t even need much through to fix the defence. A top CB, maybe another top RB and bring Skipp back.
By having a better CB Jose will be able to allow his team to play higher up the pitch and it might give confidence for the rest of the team not to drop so deep as they know they can trust the other players

Celtic have offered a pre-contract to Wigan Athletic striker Kyle Joseph as they look to fend off growing Tottenham interest.

It would see the rising star head to Glasgow at the end of the season, with a compensation fee of just £300,000 paid to Wigan.

Tottenham are keen as well as city rivals Rangers and are compiling a dossier on the young forward before deciding whether to push ahead with a formal offer.

Spurs’ former manager David Pleat, who works for the club as a consultant, is actively involved in checking out Joseph’s character and personality through his vast network of contacts.

The teenager is currently out with a back injury expected to sideline him for an extended period.

This site revealed at the end of January that Celtic had made an approach for Joseph and Wigan also rejected an offer of around £500,000 for Joseph from Barnsley in the last window.

The teenager is currently out with a back injury expected to sideline him for an extended period.

The London-born youngster, who has been capped at Scotland at Under-19 level, did not make his debut until October and then banged in five goals from just 14 league appearances.

That included a hat-trick against Burton Albion in the league at the end of December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom