Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realistically we'll be able to sign hopefully a couple of good players. But world-class is out of our reach for various reasons. There are some good players around in the EPL that would strengthen us, but the English one's will have massively over-inflated prices. I'm talking about the likes of Ward-Prowse, McNeil and Phillips etc. Good players, but would cost silly amounts of money. Not sure if they are better than what we have already got, but would at least strengthen the squad. In a perfect world we will sign at least a few players that go straight into our first team.

Sessegnon has done well in Germany and I think he is still one for the future for us as a left wing-back. Skipp has also done well at Norwich apparently, albeit obviously in the league below, and still has time to show he's worth a place in the squad.

Selling the likes of Doherty, Davies, Sissoko, Winks, Lamela (would miss him) and Alli (not that I want him to be sold) would bring us some decent cash.

Moura is playing well recently at CAM, especially pressing well.
Very odd you seem to be focusing on him for criticism, perhaps because he gets on well with Jose?

I haven't seen him get on any better with Jose than anyone.

I have not been impressed with him at CAM either, the effort is there but he still can't make a pass to save his life. still runs into the opposition any chance he gets and still slows down or stops the attack because he can't take a ball cleanly or think fast enough to move the ball quickly.

I want him gone because he has zero creativity or passing ability and we desperately need it. I want him gone because I think we can recoup some money to bring in what we need. I want him gone because he is not close to good enough to start in the PL and we need guys who can start in the PL. We have plenty of depth/squad MF and wingers.

👍👍

Few more things to consider in terms of who to sell:

-Foyth is in Villarreal first XI as an utility player, and has option to buy at around £13M (although I suspect if they do buy him, this is probably going to be negotiated down to £10M).
-I wouldn't mind seeing Doherty go unless we're gonna replace Jose with a manager who plays 5 at the back. Tanganga and Aurier can compete for RB spot.

-There was a rumour in Spanish press that Sevilla are willing to offer £35M for Sanchez to replace Kounde. I think that's BS, but even if they offer £25M we should take it.
I wouldn't mind if all our revenue from selling Sanchez, Dier, Foyth, Doherty went towards 2 quality CBs.
God I forgot about loads there.

Foyth and CCV should go to Villarreal and Bournemouth respectively
Would take offers for Sanchez
I'd probably also sell Lamela at this point
Aurier/Doherty - get rid of at least 1 .

I haven't seen him get on any better with Jose than anyone.

I have not been impressed with him at CAM either, the effort is there but he still can't make a pass to save his life. still runs into the opposition any chance he gets and still slows down or stops the attack because he can't take a ball cleanly or think fast enough to move the ball quickly.

I want him gone because he has zero creativity or passing ability and we desperately need it. I want him gone because I think we can recoup some money to bring in what we need. I want him gone because he is not close to good enough to start in the PL and we need guys who can start in the PL. We have plenty of depth/squad MF and wingers.
The guy is 28, nearly 29 so I don't think we can get much money from his sale.

You also underrate his good qualities. He was pretty important yesterday to create the first goal. I think he should be on the bench next season.

God I forgot about loads there.

Foyth and CCV should go to Villarreal and Bournemouth respectively
Would take offers for Sanchez
I'd probably also sell Lamela at this point
Aurier/Doherty - get rid of at least 1 .
CCV's contract is running out this year anyway. Lamela will have tiny resale value given his contract is about to run out and he's injury prone. He's probably worth more to us as a bench option with a great attitude.

I find it hard to believe that it will be impossible to move some, if not all of, Sissoko, Sanchez, Aurier, Moura, Lamela, Dier.

There have already been rumours about teams wanting some.

Also if it is the case that we can't move any of them then we are screwed so who cares about HG players at that stage anyways.
Problem is with being able to sell at the prices that Levy would accept, without him castrating whoever is the manager

We need to get rid of the dead weight, while making the first team better (especially in defence).

CB: Here we´ll have to spend money. We should try to sell Dier and Sanchez, and we should definitely look for two new players. I´m not a lunatic, I know the market is never easy - unless you´re Man City -, but I honestly think we need two new CB´s. I´d keep Toby and Rodon, for different reasons, alongside the new signings.

RB: I think Aurier will be gone in the summer and we´ll need to find out about Doherty. Does he deserve another season? Does he even want to stay for another season? Can we sell him back to Wolves? If possible, I wouldn´t mind getting rid of both (Aurier and Doherty), keeping Tanganga and signing one new RB.

The left back position is well covered with Reguilón and Davies.

CM: We´ll obviously have Oliver Skipp in the squad. Skipp, Hojbjerg and Ndombele. I would try to sell Winks and Sissoko and get another CM - there are stories about Berge, Soumare and even Kessie. This is the profile - a strong box-to-box type, or simply, a better Sissoko. I would have in the CM position Hojbjerg, Skipp, Ndombele and this new signing.

AM/Wingers: I would try to sell Lamela and Dele Alli. Yes, Dele Alli is a very talented English player, but he would bring a good price and I think at this point a deal could be good for both sides. For the attacking midfield/winger positions, I´d keep Lucas and Bergwijn as squad players and I´d bring Sessegnon back from Hoffenheim - English, still young and can also cover for the LWB position if we want to play a back 3 at some point. Our players: Sonny, Lo Celso, Lucas, Bergwijn and Sess - and Gareth Bale, of course, if all sides want to keep him at Spurs for a second year.

ST: Then there´s the strikers situation, and it´s all about Carlos Vinicius. Do we want to keep him/is he good enough? I have to say, I love the guy and in my opinion he is a true goalscorer. But can he offer more - in the short term - against bigger teams? Or do we need a better player? It´s up to Jose. We either try to sign him for less than his clause, or we try to sign another option. It´s a very important choice, because, depending on the quality, this striker could play regularly alongside Harry Kane - making Kane a regular option for the number 10/9.5 role.

There´s also Hugo Lloris situation - though, in spite of some stories linking him with PSG (Keylor Navas club), I´d bet he´s staying. There´s Foyth, who could come back as a RB, or could be sold to make a profit. And there´s Danny Rose, who will be gone anyway. But, in short, apart from these 3 specifics situations, we would have:

Out: Dier, Sanchez, Aurier, Doherty, Winks, Sissoko, Lamela and Dele Alli - and Vinicius loan will be over = 9 players.

In: One RB, Two CB´s, one CM and one striker/Vinicius permanent signing. Skipp and Sessegnon returning = 7 players.

Less numbers, more quality, more youth and even more important, more hunger and desire in the squad. It would be an important rebuild process, while I don´t think we would have to do any crazy moves from the club´s perspective - especially if we get CL qualification.

COYS

Last edited:
That zero threat is more than Moura offers and as you mention the passing is lightyears better as well.
This might be the dumbest thing you've said on here and that's some achievement.

After a match in which he made one goal, played a big part in the second goal, got MOTM and ran Villa ragged all night you say he offers less than zero threat.

I love how much Lucas' success hurts you. Cry more FOOL.

We have to be ruthless this summer regarding departures if we want to get rid of the bottle job loser mentality we currently have. No time for sentiments or else it will be a never ending cycle.

The following we simply have to get rid off imo:
Doherty
Davies
Dier
Sissoko
Rose

the next batch we should listen to offers for various reasons:
Lloris
Sanchez
Foyth
Aurier
Winks
Dele

If they all somehow manage to leave (plus we don't keep Bale or Vinicius) then we would need:
1 x GK
2 X RB
2 X CB
1 X CM
1 X Attacking Mid
1 X ST

That's 13 players out and 8 players brought in (10 including Sessegnon and Skipp returning).

Thats a lot of rebuilding and tbh probably not realistic. Ideally I would hope we keep Aurier, Bale and Vinicius meaning:

1 GK, 1 RB, 2CB, and 1CM,

Last edited:
This might be the dumbest thing you've said on here and that's some achievement.

After a match in which he made one goal, played a big part in the second goal, got MOTM and ran Villa ragged all night you say he offers less than zero threat.

I love how much Lucas' success hurts you. Cry more FOOL.
Slagging Moura after the Villa game....

chris jericho what GIF by CBC

You don't have to fix all the issues in one window, focus on getting a strong starting XI together and go from there - some backup positions resolve themselves

Lloris has another year in him, if long term succesor available get them in if not keep Hart as backup.

Aurier & Doherty out, new starting RB in. Tanganga cover.

Sessegnon back as cover for Regulion.

Davies & Dier out, new starting CB coming in, i think Alderweireld has another season in him, Rodon & Sanchez as cover.

Hojbjerg DM, Skipp back as DM cover.

Ndombele CM, Winks & Sissoko out replacement signed for back up.

GLC/Moura/Dele for AMC

Lamela & Bergwijn out - replacement RWF signed

Hope we keep Kane & Son, loan Bale for numbers and re-sign Vinicius

Achievable transfer activity that, 8/9 out and 4/5 in

You don't have to fix all the issues in one window, focus on getting a strong starting XI together and go from there - some backup positions resolve themselves

Lloris has another year in him, if long term succesor available get them in if not keep Hart as backup.

Aurier & Doherty out, new starting RB in. Tanganga cover.

Sessegnon back as cover for Regulion.

Davies & Dier out, new starting CB coming in, i think Alderweireld has another season in him, Rodon & Sanchez as cover.

Hojbjerg DM, Skipp back as DM cover.

Ndombele CM, Winks & Sissoko out replacement signed for back up.

GLC/Moura/Dele for AMC

Lamela & Bergwijn out - replacement RWF signed

Hope we keep Kane & Son, loan Bale for numbers and re-sign Vinicius

Achievable transfer activity that, 8/9 out and 4/5 in
I like that for the most part.
Wouldn't agree with selling Lamela as it would raise next to nothing given his contract situation, and he's been playing okay.
Bergwijn is young and it's a bit unfair on him to give up so quickly. Also he won't sell for much now given his poor stats from this season, while if he even has a moderately good season next year, he could sell for a lot more in 2022.

Rather than getting rid of those 2 and signing Vinicius + RWF, why not forget Vinicius and buy Patson Daka, a versatile forward who can play CF and on the wing.

So, here is the current standing for next season as expected. I'd suggest that if you are suggesting transfers, you update this as a template to see if it fits.

SQUAD = 25 (unlimited u21)

Home Grown (At least 8, max 4 assoc trained or squad total reduced to 24 )
Association trained: Ben Davies, Matt Doherty, Joe Hart, Alfie Whiteman, Joe Rodon, CCV, Danny Rose
Club trained: Gareth Bale, Dele, Harry Kane, Harry Winks, Japhet Tanganga

Foreign (Max 17) : Toby Alderweireld, Serge Aurier, Steven Bergwijn, Eric Dier, Gedson Fernandes, Paulo Gazzaniga, Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, Érik Lamela, Hugo Lloris, Giovani Lo Celso, Lucas Moura, Tanguy Ndombele, Sergio Reguilón, Davinson Sánchez, Moussa Sissoko, Son Heung-min, Carlos Vinícius

U21 (unlimited) : Brandon Austin, Jack Clarke, Dennis Cirkin, Alfie Devine, Harvey White, Oliver Skipp, Ryan Sess, Lavinier, Nile John, Markanday, Jamie Bowden

At present, Section 5 of the EFL’s Rules and Regulations (“EFL Rules and Regulations”) requires each EFL club to nominate 7 home grown players on their team sheet for each league match.

OUT : CCV, ROSE, GAZZANIGA, BALE (end of loan), VINICIUS (end of loan)
IN : CLARKE, SKIPP, RYAN SESS

Last edited:
So, here is the current standing for next season as expected. I'd suggest that if you are suggesting transfers, you update this as a template to see if it fits.

SQUAD = 25 (unlimited u21)

Home Grown (At least 8, max 4 assoc trained or squad total reduced to 24 )
Association trained: Ben Davies, Matt Doherty, Joe Hart, Alfie Whiteman, Joe Rodon, CCV, Danny Rose
Club trained: Gareth Bale, Dele, Harry Kane, Harry Winks, Japhet Tanganga

Foreign (Max 17) : Toby Alderweireld, Serge Aurier, Steven Bergwijn, Eric Dier, Gedson Fernandes, Paulo Gazzaniga, Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, Érik Lamela, Hugo Lloris, Giovani Lo Celso, Lucas Moura, Tanguy Ndombele, Sergio Reguilón, Davinson Sánchez, Moussa Sissoko, Son Heung-min, Carlos Vinícius

U21 (unlimited) : Brandon Austin, Jack Clarke, Dennis Cirkin, Alfie Devine, Harvey White, Oliver Skipp, Ryan Sess, Lavinier, Nile John, Markanday, Jamie Bowden

At present, Section 5 of the EFL’s Rules and Regulations (“EFL Rules and Regulations”) requires each EFL club to nominate 7 home grown players on their team sheet for each league match.

OUT : CCV, ROSE, GAZZANIGA
IN : CLARKE, SKIPP, RYAN SESS
Cheers for this 👍

I think a squad size of 24 is enough. I'd get rid off Dele and Winks so club trained would only be 3.

GK (3): Areola Hart Whiteman
DEF (8): Reguilon Davies Toby Rodon Milenkovic Andersen Tanganga Aurier
MID (7): Hojbjerg Skipp Sabitzer Ndombele Lo Celso Lucas Lamela
ATT (6): Son Kane Bale Daka Bergwijn Sessegnon

Adds up to 24 man squad. Net spend £14M.

Cheers for this 👍

I think a squad size of 24 is enough. I'd get rid off Dele and Winks so club trained would only be 3.

GK (3): Areola Hart Whiteman
DEF (8): Reguilon Davies Toby Rodon Milenkovic Andersen Tanganga Aurier
MID (7): Hojbjerg Skipp Sabitzer Ndombele Lo Celso Lucas Lamela
ATT (6): Son Kane Bale Daka Bergwijn Sessegnon

I've calculated a net spend of £14M for above^ and adds up to 24 man squad. As U21s are unlimited, we can add Devine or Scarlett to that to make it 25.

Don't forget, Bale isn't our player next season. We either sign him or lose him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom