Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
For money? We sell our best players all the time. So do tons of clubs. Imagine Liverpool, United, City, Chelsea asking themselves that question, FFS. But we're going to overhaul them next year, once our next crop blossoms!

Sorry, I've read this story before. We're always gonna be 4-6 if we shop like "why would anyone sell us their best player? Better get that kid with the great FM stats!"
Andersen is not a kid with great FM stats. He's just had a good season in the PL. Buying Koulibaly who is 30 years old and probably declining soon just makes no sense.

Yep, yep. Let's just keep buying low for the future. Its worked so well for us the past 15 years!!!

Next year is our year, 10 years running!

It has worked well for us. Our best team by far was created by buying younger players and developing them into world class players, even the Toby/Jan examples you use show this.

Feel free to lay out a realistic window in which we pay over 50 million each for the players you seem to desire, most of which don't seem to be close to worth it. The rest of us will live in reality where we buy players that actually are possible and help us win.

I never get the transfer thread folks that come in and say lets just buy the best players ever without providing a realistic way for that to happen.

Maybe we can have another thread for folks like MemphisWill MemphisWill where they can talk about a fantasy land where reality doesn't exist and just like the 11 best players in the world and talk about how it is a failure if we don't add each of them.

I never get the transfer thread folks that come in and say lets just buy the best players ever without providing a realistic way for that to happen.

Maybe we can have another thread for folks like MemphisWill MemphisWill where they can talk about a fantasy land where reality doesn't exist and just like the 11 best players in the world and talk about how it is a failure if we don't add each of them.
I don't get the people like you that want us to do the same thing we've done every year for the past 20 years but think somehow, someway, by god, its gonna work this time!

We've had one consistent strategy in 20 years and won fuck all. Why do you think next year is gonna be different? We don't even have a manager that wants to coach talented prospects anymore.

I don't get the people like you that want us to do the same thing we've done every year for the past 20 years but think somehow, someway, by god, its gonna work this time!

We've had one consistent strategy in 20 years and won fuck all. Why do you think next year is gonna be different? We don't even have a manager that wants to coach talented prospects anymore.

I want us to do what is realistic.

I don't want us to do the same thing. I don't think we have been doing the same thing at all. Recently we certainly haven't been making smart transfer decisions, bringing in high quality younger players that could develop into world class talents,

I would love to buy whomever we like, but that isn't going to happen. I would love to say go buy Koulibaly, Upamecano, Kounde and Diaz but it isn't going to happen, so I don't see the point in spending a ton of time talking about it.

Feel free at any point to present a realistic plan that isn't the same thing that you seem to think we have been doing for 20 years. Just repeating buy older, great CB's isn't a plan. Saying buy guys that aren't available, aren't in our price range and aren't good, isn't a plan.

If we have a manager that does not play the type of player we should be buying then there seems to be an easy solution for it.

Ok. Let's just keep buying potential. Especially now we've got a manager with no interest in developing potential. What could go wrong?!

I, too, enjoy FM.

:mourglasses:

Potential isn't 24 though. Potential is 16-19. Are you expecting us to be able to sign established world-class players who are in their peak? Not gonna happen. Even if we had the money for that, which we certainly won't, nobody that's elite is going to genuinely consider us. On top of that other top clubs generally offer much better wages than we do too.

We won’t get a penny for Sissoko based on his wage, will cost us to get him to go (on a lower wage). Someone might do 10m on Winks, possibly Palace etc
If Palace want Winks then I would get Mitchell off them. He will be a free agent this summer and he's young and HG.

Can play both full back positions and he's been OK every time I have seen him.

This is the kind of bargain basement deal Levy will be interested in.

Just to say my stance on this all remains the same.

We have BIGGER issues than GK this summer. I wouldn't spend a penny of any money on a new GK this summer.

Keep Hugo and he has at least 1 more good full season in him. The guy will also want to become our record appearance holder which he will do at the start of next season if he's still here.

Given the tight finances we have doesn't make sense to play around with this position this summer. RB/CB bigger priority.

We have BIGGER issues than GK this summer. I wouldn't spend a penny of any money on a new GK this summer.

Keep Hugo and he has at least 1 more good full season in him. The guy will also want to become our record appearance holder which he will do at the start of next season if he's still here.

Given the tight finances we have doesn't make sense to play around with this position this summer. RB/CB bigger priority.
Selling Lloris and buying Maignan may actually make financial sense though.
We can get around £5M for Lloris, otherwise we could lose him on a free.
Maignan also has one year left on his contract, but apparently AC Milan are interested in him, while Lille could extent that contract. So we may secure a bargain price this summer.

Selling Lloris and buying Maignan may actually make financial sense though.
We can get around £5M for Lloris, otherwise we could lose him on a free.
Maignan also has one year left on his contract, but apparently AC Milan are interested in him, while Lille could extent that contract. So we may secure a bargain price this summer.
We have like no money

Say we get £5m for Lloris.

It will cost at least £15m more so (£20m+) for Maignan.

I don't think its worth it.

Another thing ppl don't realise. lloris is our captain. Very hard just to replace that too. Priceless that.

We have like no money

Say we get £5m for Lloris.

It will cost at least £15m more so (£20m+) for Maignan.

I don't think its worth it.

Another thing ppl don't realise. lloris is our captain. Very hard just to replace that too. Priceless that.
Yeah, but next season we would lose Lloris for free, and perhaps it would cost £30M to get a GK of Maignan's quality, ie Pope, Henderson.
Lloris is captain but also seems a bit pissed off at the situation at Spurs. I think Kane or Hojbjerg should be captain.

If Hugo has had enough of playing for Tottenham and asks to leave, we have to sell him. We cannot afford to lose good players for nothing. Either he signs a new contract or he will have to be sold.

Hugo is still an elite keeper but I get the feeling he wants something different in his last years.

I agree with the sentiment but we need to replace him at some point and I would rather make a move this year when he still as value then lose him for nothing and still need to buy a keeper but have no money to do so.

It is why if the PSG rumours are true that an Areola swap makes a lot of sense and is appealing as it makes the finances easier. Although I will admit this thinking seems to work a lot better on message boards than the real world.

My guess is that we will keep Hugo, because that is easier and less risky and then pay for it down the road as this group running our transfers/team seems to be very poor at long term planning.

We're skint.

We will not be buying anyone decent, so it's more of a pinstickers transfer window really. Buy cheap and hope they turn out a bit more PEH than Doherty. Hardly the way to build a dream team.

Oh and there is no way anyone is taking the dross we have got, or that most of them would even want to go, Why would they take less money, play for a shit side and leave the unmatched 5 star luxury of Tottenham Way to slum it in the provinces or even worse some foreign hell hole like France, Spain, or perish the thought Turkey. It's not happening except for the deluded fools like Dele who thinks he still has an international career.

Trust me, the start of next season will be the most depressing for many a year, we will have a squad full of absolute shite, bolstered by incomers that even Danny Rose would struggle to google, still led by Jose with his unbearable blame them not me schtick.

The future isnt bright, it's more a black hole from which there is no escape. The next few seasons will remind us what being a spurs fan is all about, we will look back on the Poch years and truly wonder if it was all a dream.

Still I reckon were nailed on for top 4. COYS.......

We're skint.

We will not be buying anyone decent, so it's more of a pinstickers transfer window really. Buy cheap and hope they turn out a bit more PEH than Doherty. Hardly the way to build a dream team.

If that is the case then lets buy young and/or bring up some youth.

At least in that case there will be some hope that they will learn and perhaps grow from their mistakes rather than watching guys like Sissoko, Dier, Winks, Doherty, Aurier, Moura continue to suck with zero chance of improving or changing their shitty ways.

If Palace want Winks then I would get Mitchell off them. He will be a free agent this summer and he's young and HG.

Can play both full back positions and he's been OK every time I have seen him.

This is the kind of bargain basement deal Levy will be interested in.
Agree but Levy doesn’t seem to chase those players as often as we did. Shame as some brilliant players have come from the championship (perhaps a third of the eng squad?) and we could have signed all of them

Ideally, Jose gets punted, and we get Nagelsmann in. He was never the right man for this club, and a lot on here suspected this at the time, and have been proven correct.

Nagelsmann, however, is for me, the man to take forward the foundations and brand of football set by Poch and take us to the next level.

Given the quick pressing, work-driven style he expects, with minimal individual errors, there’s far too many in this squad that wouldn’t suit, possibly too many to get rid of in one window.

Aurier
Doherty
Dier
Winks
Sissoko
Alli
Bale
Vinnie

Sanchez, Davies, Lamela & Lucas would all be questionable. Whether Sanchez can be coached into cutting out all his silly mistakes is up for debate, but he does have a lot the physical attributes needed to play the high line Nagelsmann prefers. Davies might be useful as an option for left centre back in a 3, particularly given the lack of left footed CB’s at the moment. Might also be an option to give Foyth another chance next season, like Sanchez, he does possess some of the attributes Nagelsmann likes in a centre half, and is pretty versatile.

Obviously the key areas needing addressing would be RB, at least one top quality CB, depending on what happens with Sanchez/Foyth, a CM, left footed winger and a backup to Kane.

Max Aarons would be a decent option for RB

Sabitzer’s the obvious choice for CM, given his contract situation, and familiarity with JN.

One we’ve not been linked to, but I’d suggest would be a good fit is Mikel Oyarzabal at Real Sociedad. He’s a wee wizard on the wing, and a grafter too. Not quite the goal threat that Son is, but he’s more focused on creating chances rather than finishing them, though still chips in with 10ish a season.

Ings possibly for Kane’s backup? Questions over his injury record and he’d still be pricey despite his contract situation.

The area I can’t put my finger on is centre half, who’s out there that would drastically improve us that isn’t gonna cost 45m +?
Agree with pretty much all of this.
I also still think there is a player in Sanchez that can be coerced out somehow so I reckon we need to hold onto him for at least one more season for him to prove himself.
He’s young enough to learn, be coached.

We also would get nowhere near the 42M we paid for him.

If Hugo has had enough of playing for Tottenham and asks to leave, we have to sell him. We cannot afford to lose good players for nothing. Either he signs a new contract or he will have to be sold.

Hugo is still an elite keeper but I get the feeling he wants something different in his last years.
I disagree.

I don't think he's had enough. I just think people are trying to read between lines that aren't there.

He did interview last week and people are saying he's talking like a man who knows he will leave soon. I see it as a man who is hurt by what his team is doing.

People also seem to think he has given up . Hardly? He had a few bad games at the start of February but since then no errors. People will look to over-scrutinise him from now to the end of the season but honestly he's class.

In a window where there is no money I'd not be looking at selling and replacing him.

If that is the case then lets buy young and/or bring up some youth.

At least in that case there will be some hope that they will learn and perhaps grow from their mistakes rather than watching guys like Sissoko, Dier, Winks, Doherty, Aurier, Moura continue to suck with zero chance of improving or changing their shitty ways.
I'd rather just be very ruthless in this window and be sensible.

Let's sell all the deadwood once and for all and replace adquately.

This squad is too bloated so we could probably sell some players and not replace them

eg. Sell 2 players and buy 1 player with the funds.

We could build a good squad ahead of next season if we plan it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom