Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fucking hell ValenciaYid ValenciaYid

You called it.

James Franco Thank You GIF

Deserves a bit more respect on here because people shit on ITK's too much IMO

Good post.

Football is business as well. Sport and business not just one.

And you have to look at risk/reward of deals. Lenglet and Gvardiol are pretty much extremums of the scale.
Lenglet - proven quality in number of seasons, earned big transfer and played on highest level for France on NT level, now struggling for the club and made available for small fee. Biggest possible loss - few millions (salary cost + low loan fee). Biggest possible upside - getting starting CB for number of years for 6 million.
Gvardiol - young and highly rated talent. Played 1 season in top league. Valued very highly.
Biggest possible loss - roughly the amount of transfer fee. So maybe like 80 mil. Two unsuccessful seasons for us and he would not be moved for more than 20 mil.
Biggest possible upside - getting starting CB for ~10 years.

I am not saying we should just make so conservative deals, but between those circumstances and deal structures I know what deal I prefer.
We have three good centre backs so agree re risk / reward but I would hope we think reward and pay more when it comes to priority positions eg RWB. For example, 80M for Hakimi is different to 80M for gvardiol

Back
Top Bottom