Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just seventeen, skillful and quick.

The Don stacking up the backbone of our squad for the future.

This is incredible business that Paratici is doing, but does beg the question after our last three "club" buys is just where is our academy talent?
The best of our Academy talent is Dane Scarlett, doing well on loan, and Alfie Devine, sidelined with a hamstring injury I believe.

We bought Devine at about the same age as Phillips is now. But big clubs buy 17-year-old prospects all the time.

The key question for me is how is the club helping these players who stand out at 17 to develop & fulfil their potential?

Nile John looked good in pre-season under Nuno, then had a disastrous loan where he didn't play because Charlton had too many loan signings to accomodate him. That simply can't be allowed to happen to our best prospects.

Kane and Skipp both learnt lots from their loan spells. Ryan Mason was loaned to Millwall along with Kane, and then to Lorient in France, where he hardly played.

Another one not picked up by the ITKs!

Knew it would happen again. Itk is dead. Anyone purporting to be nowadays with consistent news on every transfer is 100% a bullshitter. They haven’t got a single one right all window, just like in January and just like last summer. It’s done apart from the odd random bit where there’s a chance meeting with a player etc.

But but but immediately after this broke, Hercules posted:

There is truth in this. But let’s see…

Which has, to this point, received 50 'informative' reactions over on SC.

carnac.jpg

Paul O’Keefe pouring cold water over everything here - says no to Phillips
, no to Garner, and says we need to sell 3 foreign players before even thinking about Malinovskyi or others.

From Rovers forum on Ashley

What stands out for me is that so far Ash has not been prone to the reckless challenge which is so common with centre half's. Quite remarkable for such a young player.

Big blow to lose Phillips. No point playing him from now on.
Maybe should look into loaning him back for the rest of the season, he's not going to see more than the bench at Spurs for a while.

Can we all remember, if any of us got a job off with a huge pay increase we would be off. Philips is a young man who can set himself up for life. He is a serious injury away from nothing. All we can do as a club is force as much money from levy as possible. As an aside I have always hated spurs and this won’t help. Them and that dump westham. Obviously Burnley but let’s not go there! Breathe…….

The Spurs contract that Phillips is being offered is enough to set his family up for life and there’s a bit of pressure on him to do that. Plus, I assume he believes he’s good enough to break through at any club.
Good luck with that!

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

, no to Garner, and says we need to sell 3 foreign players before even thinking about Malinovskyi or others.

O’Keefe has no one with the club. He got something vaguely right one time and everybody thinks he knows stuff. I wouldn’t count anything he says to be ITK.

I was only thinking to myself this morning that it might be worth our while selling Alfie Devine to Brighton or Southampton for 500k on the condition that we have a buyback for 10m or so. Most of these young players are better off away from top 6 clubs unless they're really exceptional, more and more of them refuse to sign extensions and I fear we might be heading that way with Devine.
You know there is something called loaning players right?

O’Keefe has no one with the club. He got something vaguely right one time and everybody thinks he knows stuff. I wouldn’t count anything he says to be ITK.
He works as an 8ntermediary so will ‘now plenty of agents, directors of football etc.
Local press in Blackburn saying it’s rubbish. We have been following him for 12 months.

That sounds like common sense to me. At the moment we’ve got quite a few players who can’t make the squad on a Saturday because of numbers.

Bit of chat earlier about Ash Phillips.

Understand that there is nothing agreed with Tottenham, though they do have a long-standing interest in the 17-year-old.

Phillips’ representatives remain in talks with Rovers over the prospect of signing a new deal, but equally nothing agreed on that either.

He is into the second-year of his scholarship, which runs until next summer.

In the two-year scholarship, an agreement for a professional contract was drawn up.

That was due to be signed on July 1, with Phillips unable to sign until he had turned 17.

While there was an expectation it would be signed, it hasn’t, and talks with the representatives of the England youth international have been ongoing since.

During that time, the Spurs interest has remained in the background.

There has been times where it has looked like moving to a positive conclusion, but equally when it has moved further away.

So very much remains in the negotiation stage.

If someone does want to take him away from Rovers, they would need to agree a fee with the club.

Should that not be the case and he signs for someone next summer, then the fee would be decided by a tribunal, which would be a lot less than his actual worth.

Rovers’ case would helped by the appearances he is making now, but that is little consolation.

Bit of chat earlier about Ash Phillips.

Understand that there is nothing agreed with Tottenham, though they do have a long-standing interest in the 17-year-old.

Phillips’ representatives remain in talks with Rovers over the prospect of signing a new deal, but equally nothing agreed on that either.

He is into the second-year of his scholarship, which runs until next summer.

In the two-year scholarship, an agreement for a professional contract was drawn up.

That was due to be signed on July 1, with Phillips unable to sign until he had turned 17.

While there was an expectation it would be signed, it hasn’t, and talks with the representatives of the England youth international have been ongoing since.

During that time, the Spurs interest has remained in the background.

There has been times where it has looked like moving to a positive conclusion, but equally when it has moved further away.

So very much remains in the negotiation stage.

If someone does want to take him away from Rovers, they would need to agree a fee with the club.

Should that not be the case and he signs for someone next summer, then the fee would be decided by a tribunal, which would be a lot less than his actual worth.

Rovers’ case would helped by the appearances he is making now, but that is little consolation.

17..... Sign a 6 year deal with an agreement to leave him there for the next 2/3 years and let him continue to grow.

Anyone could find a similar amount of chances missed by both Kane and Son and make a five minute video, and by the way Kane missed a sitter on Sunday.

A five minute video counts for fuck all and we wouldn't be signing him for his goal scoring ability anyway.
You’ve missed my point.
I’m saying that the film shows him creating many chances, the majority of which were fluffed.
For an true analogy, you would need to show a single playmaker creating great chances for Kane and Son which they fluff.

Spurs have been linked with him in the media since the summer of 2021. And so far I think he's only played for Blackburn's academy teams, so I doubt any Spurs fans have seen much of him (but I could be wrong).
He even changed his name from Famuyiwa to Phillips, to make it easier for Spurs fans to spell and pronounce his name.
His contract expires in June 2023

Who is Ashley Phillips? Blackburn sensation wanted by Man Utd and Chelsea

How good is Ashley Phillips?​

Phillips' physical attributes make him a perfect candidate to make it as a Premier League centre-back.

He is 6ft 4in so can handle himself in the air, but also has a tremendous turn of pace which allows him to keep up with quick attackers.

His blend of pace, power and height has earned him comparisons with Virgil van Dijk.

Blackburn boss Tony Mowbray outlined his talents to Lancs Live:

"He's 6ft 4', he's fast, mobile and can pass it really well. He can use both feet, he's composed.

"Ash is just a phenomenal young boy; if you were to create a defender in the mould of how you would want one, this kid has got every attribute.

"But he is still just a young boy. He needs time, which is why he's training with the first-team so that he gets confident and used to the level of intensity.

"He's an exciting prospect, is all I'd say. But it's in a position where there is a lot of responsibility.

"It's not as easy to put a really talented young defender in as opposed to a talented young striker where it doesn't matter if he loses the ball every now and then.

"As a defender, you're judged on keeping the ball out of the net and winning your individual duels.

"He is just a boy but he's got some amazing attributes. We've got high hopes that he can progress quickly."
Bump..

Back
Top Bottom