Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This returns us to the gaping hole I mention. If it’s not Hitchens job as I believe he was titled chief scout, if we assume the manager prioritises the first team, then who was keeping a hand on the tiller regarding those coming through, negotiating suitable loans and contracts to keep them tied to the club?

Without being in the know, some reasonable conclusions can be drawn on Hitchen that amount to he was way out of his depth. If he had more about him he could have identified the areas that paratici has and got the right people in.

We now have 3 new staff including paratici, that are deemed necessary.

He oversaw some of our worst years on the academy front and transfer wise.

There's a whole lot of confirmation bias in your post. Hitchens is just an easy target.

You post stars by defining Hitchens as Chief Scout...... In which case, no it wasn't his job to negotiate loans and contracts.

Since McDermot wound his time down, we've experienced a fair amount of churn at every level......

Academy 'director' (Misc. upheaval.)
U23s manager (Timmy, Ledley, Mason.... Other)
Senior manager (Timmy, Poch, Jose, Mason, Nuno, Conte)
Recruitment/scouting crew (Cast of many inc. Hitchens)
Senior manager (Both Poch & Jose were calling the shots re: loans).
DOF / head of recruitment (Levy, Mitchel, Hitchens, Fab, Poch had deep influence until he left.)

Even though he proved pretty shabby on the whole; truth is he only had majority DOF-clout for a couple of years.

Last edited:
This thread has turned to shit now.

Talking about man utd and casemiro.
PEH going to RM.

Can we have an update on what our squad looks like now that some players have gone on loan. Are we still unable to register another foreign player.

I'll get it back on track.....

Q. It's the last day of earth and everyone's ordering curry for the final feast......

What's your order? :gallashmm:

Hitchens is just an easy target.

You post stars by defining Hitchens as Chief Scout...... In which case, no it wasn't his job to negotiate loans and contracts.

Since McDermot wound his time down, we've experienced a fair amount of churn at every level......

Academy 'director'
U23s manager (Timmy, Ledley, Mason.... Other)
Senior manager (Timmy, Poch, Jose, Mason, Nuno, Conte)
Recruitment/scouting crew (Cast of many inc. Hitchens)
Senior manager (Both Poch & Jose were calling the shots re: loans).
DOF / head of recruitment (Levy, Mitchel, Hitchens, Fab, Poch had deep influence until he left.)

There's a whole lot of confirmation bias in your post.

Even though he proved pretty shabby on the whole; truth is he only had full DOF-clout for a couple of years.
I don’t know what his title was … but my opinion remains he was exceptionally bad at his job.

And I think youve missed point slightly …. I’m not making him fully culpable for all our woes…. I’ve mentioned what I considered a vacuum where no one was taking responsibility rendering us listless in numerous aspects.

An experienced dof has come in and identified that, everything about the club appears to be operating on a different level …. And incidentally hitchen is also no longer with us.

With him gone and a recognisable structure in place I think we’ll benefit even greater moving forward

I don’t know what his title was … but my opinion remains he was exceptionally bad at his job.

Point being he had various jobs during his time..... For much of which he wasn't responsible for the things you suggested.

And I think youve missed point slightly …. I’m not making him fully culpable for all our woes…. I’ve mentioned what I considered a vacuum where no one was taking responsibility rendering us listless in numerous aspects.

An experienced dof has come in and identified that, everything about the club appears to be operating on a different level …. And incidentally hitchen is also no longer with us.

With him gone and a recognisable structure in place I think we’ll benefit even greater moving forward

We lacked a trickle-down vision and (as per convo context) a stability and visible pathway that youth players could put faith in.

In modern football, you risk that when you don't have a fully fledged DOF in place; even if some of the component staff are good at what they do. I think if you're looking for a figure-head for blame then Levy would be the most appropriate starting point.

Hitchens didn't fuck the academy up.

What I’m saying is that he is too old for Real Madrid splash big on a player like him.

(Last post was just a joke, my dude....)

If they genuinely do rate him then they could easily get 5/6 years out of him.....

All the price-tags are just fan-chatter.... Who knows what they'd value him at.

Last edited:
Point being he had various jobs during his time..... For much of which he wasn't responsible for the things you suggested.

We lacked a trickle-down vision and (as per convo context) a stability and visible pathway that youth players could put faith in.

In modern football, you risk that when you don't have a fully fledged DOF in place; even if some of the component staff are good at what they do. I think if you're looking for a figure-head for blame then Levy would be the most appropriate starting point.

Hitchens didn't fuck the academy up.
No I know he didn’t …. If you read the first paragraph I actually exonerate him from much of the blame, whilst still considering him poor at what he was charged with.

However someone with more about them might have been able to take the reigns and do something akin to what paratici has done.

He didn’t have talent, character or experience to achieve this.

Then next to him seemed to be no one of note with mistakes made and little accountability and we lost considerable ground

Hopefully with the new structure that’s the end of these underperforming departments

No I know he didn’t ….

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought that's where the thread of this convo tracks back to; the suggestion that Hitchens is to blame for a lot of acad. lads leaving, crap loan strategy etc.. If not, my bad.

If you read the first paragraph I actually exonerate him from much of the blame, whilst still considering him poor at what he was charged with.

However someone with more about them might have been able to take the reigns and do something akin to what paratici has done.

He's never had the clout that Fab has been given.

Hopefully with the new structure that’s the end of these underperforming departments

Indeed......

Last edited:
What the hell is this Gibbs-White transfer about?

Is he that good? Or is it some accounting hustle??

I think it's sex'd up reporting where certain media won't let go of the big figure even though it's since been revealed that it comprises about 20m of conditional add-ons.

Back
Top Bottom