Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
No angle at all. Your own words. You can have a pathetic preseason and do just as well in the league. That’s what you said.

Because Liverpool had a horrendous season by their standards. To repeat that same season again would be hugely disappointing for them. Klopp would probably leave.

Proving last season wasn’t a fluke would be hugely shit for them.

The Saudi League is to bring about a European Super League, their reasoning will be it's the only way to stop the 'best' players from leaving Europe.

Contrast the hostile reaction to a LIV Golf to UEFA and big clubs silence over the Saudi 'threat'.

Bring it on I day, we have a European Super League anyway with the CL and same clubs in it and competing for it.

Not especially, once they give QPR 20%....... That becomes 36m.

People said Olise at 35m was cheap/a steal and he's younger and less proven..... So at that point; what's the diff?

A club's only obligation is to get the best price they can for themselves.

Of course, goes without saying.

But its usually not easy to sell above market value unless buyer is desperate.

Eze would be a 'nice to have' but not essential for Spurs, and Eze's market value is less than £50m, probably anywhere between £40m and £50m and at that level they make money (in fact doubling their money), even with a 20% sell on clause. So its a decent deal for Palace to do if they want to

That's all we are saying.

The Saudi League is to bring about a European Super League, their reasoning will be it's the only way to stop the 'best' players from leaving Europe.

Contrast the hostile reaction to a LIV Golf to UEFA and big clubs silence over the Saudi 'threat'.

Bring it on I day, we have a European Super League anyway with the CL and same clubs in it and competing for it.
According to reports today in Italy, Saudi Arabia are going to start lobbying UEFA to get a "wildcard" spot in the CL when the new format starts in 2024.

City barely need to try, do you want to go and win a load of trophies and play under one of the best managers ever whilst earning great money - you will have to live in/near Manchester though, literally the only negative.

City’s prize money from last season would have easily paid the Gvardiol transfer fee also.

They are just like peak Fergie United where Due to the success of the team as a whole, they can sell their dross and always find a taker at a decent price. Wes Brown, John o pies, etc - there’s always a sunderland ready to shower them with money.
We need Hull back in the premier league

According to reports today in Italy, Saudi Arabia are going to start lobbying UEFA to get a "wildcard" spot in the CL when the new format starts in 2024.

Let's hope they get in and draw a team from Israel.

:adegrin:

Yeah, the ESL is the endgame here. Saudi are aiming to host the WC in 2030 and need European support.

Football is so fucking broken, the money (and influence this wields) has attracted parasites and scumbags

And footballers weren’t making 100K+ per week like they are now or cost easily 30 million to acquire.

While I think it’s good people are using their voice to protest on this issue, comparing prices to 41 years ago isn’t a great argument.
Yeah it’s ridiculous to be honest, it’s called inflation and whether we like it or not attending football matches live is not a basic human need like say housing which has also risen massively in the same time period.

Complaining about a 20% rise from one season to the next is legitimate, complaining about how much prices have gone up in 41 years is quite frankly stupid

Disgusted Steve Carell GIF

Because Liverpool had a horrendous season by their standards. To repeat that same season again would be hugely disappointing for them. Klopp would probably leave.

Proving last season wasn’t a fluke would be hugely shit for them.
I fully agree with you - it would be disappointing given where they’ve been.

I also agree that you can have a « pathetic » transfer window and still maintain your league performance. There’s a lot more to performance l than the transfer window.

Of course, goes without saying.

But its usually not easy to sell above market value unless buyer is desperate.

Eze would be a 'nice to have' but not essential for Spurs, and Eze's market value is less than £50m, probably anywhere between £40m and £50m and at that level they make money (in fact doubling their money), even with a 20% sell on clause. So its a decent deal for Palace to do if they want to

That's all we are saying.

Given the market and sell-on clause; I'd say the OG price-tag of 55m is entirely expected (Worth it? That's subjective depending on interested clubs needs.)...........

......If I'm Palace, I don't think it's worth it to sell for 40m. Even if it's his final year next year, so long as he remains fit and in form his pricetag won't drop much below that next summer and, once again, 20% of any drop off isn't even their money anyway.

As I said in my OG post....... Even at the inflated 70m pricetag; IF we're keen enough, there's ways to bring that price down in kind.

Why is it poor from us.....?

Interest > Enquiry > Decide whether the asking price works for us.....

That's just standard stuff. How else do you expect us to proceed?
Reflects poorly on us in terms of us not being able to see the obvious, if there was a chance of Eze this summer then the horse has already well and truly bolted with Zaha going, Olise looking like going for below his market value, and us now having very publicly received a large fee.

There is no way that a club that operates in the way we do is going to prize him away right now, it is such a pointless enquiry I think it makes us look stupid.

Reflects poorly on us in terms of us not being able to see the obvious, if there was a chance of Eze this summer then the horse has already well and truly bolted with Zaha going, Olise looking like going for below his market value, and us now having very publicly received a large fee.

There is no way that a club that operates in the way we do is going to prize him away right now, it is such a pointless enquiry I think it makes us look stupid.
The timing is just so convenient…

No real rumbles of interest or enquiries until it’s obvious he’s going to be a no go…

Back
Top Bottom