Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
So Tonali was forced out and told that he has to move to Newcastle?

Obviously he’ll have a good life and the club will help him transition, but it still must be unsettling to have to move to a new environment when you don’t really want to.
And obviously they can't force him in a literal sense.

But sometimes loyalty to the club means accepting a move the club needs.

It was the exact same story with selling Kaka to Real Madrid as I recall. He didn't want to go but the club convinced him they needed the money so he accepted it for their benefit.

I have a question. Many on this forum are like "sign Tapsoba for 45 mil ore more!" What about Josip Šutalo for 20 mil...
Colin Farrell Reaction GIF

Haven't got a Scooby. Never heard of him.

It's also about making the club irresistible to the player.

What have we proactively done to make the club irresistible?

Darren bent said a nice training ground and stadium is low on the list of priorities

We made the club irresistible to Ndombele. We beat Juve and PSG to his signature, we paid the 60 mill that Lyon wanted, we signed him before pre season started, we made him joint top earner with Harry Kane on 200k a week......didn't we do well :tanguythumb:

Sanchez 42 mill all those years ago, that was big big money.....my word the fans were happy when we signed him from Ajax, the same reaction many would have now if we signed this Tapsoba chap for 60 mill........be careful what you wish for :mourweird:
In his first year Sanchez was pretty good, what happened? See links with Gleason Bremer again today…..superb player.

We made the club irresistible to Ndombele. We beat Juve and PSG to his signature, we paid the 60 mill that Lyon wanted, we signed him before pre season started, we made him joint top earner with Harry Kane on 200k a week......didn't we do well :tanguythumb:

Is this an argument against making the club irresistible to genuine talent or simply highlighting our appauling scouting system that didn't bother to check the daily mail comments section highlighting his attitude when we was first in for him

Although we can use the numerous missed transfer targets, deals collapsing and a literny of false hopes over the years to form and educated guess.
Then again, you can also choose to believe the old, well worn "we tried" line.
I'm sure those with your mindset will do that - for the rest of us, able to appreciate the context and personal circumstances involved, it seems highly probable that Bastoni simply wasn't going to come under any circumstances.

By all means you can keep banging on your often empty barrels about other 'failed' transfers, but for the Bastoni one specifically there is lots of evidence to suggest that his refusal was genuinely the reason he didn't come. (I'll never for the life of me understand why you and your lot don't focus on the actual bad things that ENIC / Levy have done instead of focussing on made up ones - it costs you so much credibility and probably so many supporters).

Last edited:
What about the other point though. What do we do to make club irresistible to players with a reputation of being a talented footballer

I only intervened to deride Bent, but seeing as you asked........

Dunno... .Even the biggest and richest of teams have their money refused at times.

And obviously they can't force him in a literal sense.

But sometimes loyalty to the club means accepting a move the club needs.

It was the exact same story with selling Kaka to Real Madrid as I recall. He didn't want to go but the club convinced him they needed the money so he accepted it for their benefit.

This idea, unfortunately, isn't compatible with the idea that we had no way to get Conte's most important signing at CB.

We definitely didn't give Inter enough of a reason to force him out...

Unlike Newcastle, we actually had Conte waiting for him. And London to live in.

Oh the London argument........like Milan and its surrounding areas is a shit hole? Conte loved living in his London hotel didnt he. If you get the chance ask Conte why he lived alone in a hotel his whole time here and why his wife and kid remained in Italy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom