Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
That's not true. Luke failed. Vader's conscience is what won, in the end, and there's no real evidence that Yoda's training of Luke impacted the result. No way of knowing if being faced with the proposition of being cuckolded into watching his son's murder wouldn't have broken his resolve, whether or not Luke had been trained by a jedi.

Fair point.

Not sure where that leaves us in the world of comparing Levy with Yoda, or not being yoda.

So. What was the point of a new £1Billion multi purpose stadium again?
GIF by NETFLIX

I've read that we're back after Zaniolo, and that he has €35m (£31m) release clause in his Galatasaray contract.
Tottenham tv had 6 attacking midfielders inclu Maddison. No 1 choice was pedro conclaves from SL. Looks a great player and better than Maddison. Also Ryann chakri from Lyon and the Ajax midfiekder. All look good and possibly cheaper than madd.

Tottenham tv had 6 attacking midfielders inclu Maddison. No 1 choice was pedro conclaves from SL. Looks a great player and better than Maddison. Also Ryann chakri from Lyon and the Ajax midfiekder. All look good and possibly cheaper than madd.

We need homegrown.

Saw link you are interested in two Celtic players. Ange played Hatate as the main creative threat at Celtic so I'm guessing one is him. Not sure of the other? If it's Jota he wouldn't be a starter for you. Kyogo... Possibly. You'd be paying £15-20+ million for each player.

Again for what is probably the millionth time it's been explained to you, compare Liverpool's spend over the last 5 years or so to Everton's spend, which team has spent the most and which team is more successful?

It's not about how much you spend, it's about what you spend it on.
Also the manager I’d say!

I didn't say we didn't convince the player.

I said we didn't do enough to convince Inter that they should "convince" Bastoni to go.

Watching the way that Newcastle were successful in a very very similar pursuit, with Milan eventually "convincing" Tonali to move to a place in northern England where people don't speak English, kind of backs up my point.

Would you agree?

(Both have been said at one point or another.....)

Each selling club's circumstances are different.... As are every players motivations.

I know nothing of ACs predicament (how desperate their needs were), but last summer Inter were said to be desperately needing money, but they still cock-blocked all the rumoured big exits from the club... Even opting to lose Skriniar for free.......

The noose is even tighter (!) round their neck this summer as a result with rumour that if they don't raise 250m over the next 12 months their major debtor will take ownership of the club.

If at all true; sounds like they're run by lunatics to me.

We were suggested to have bid 60-70m (euro?) for Bastoni.... What (i.e. how much) do you suggest?

Last edited:
That's not true. Luke failed. Vader's conscience is what won, in the end, and there's no real evidence that Yoda's training of Luke impacted the result. No way of knowing if being faced with the proposition of being cuckolded into watching his son's murder wouldn't have broken his resolve, whether or not Luke had been trained by a jedi.

You are correct but I think possibly missing the point with Luke's training. If you consider the training wasn't purely about sheer combat skill but rather Luke being conditioned to overcome his potential to go to the dark side, then it was successful. If Luke did turn then it was game over. I think this is why when Luke left his training to go save his friends, Yoda didn't want him to go as he wasn't ready for it mentally.

....Anyway; the saviour of the galaxy turned out to be Palaptine's niece; who essentially trained herself to be maaaayyyyyyyyzing! :)

It's also about making the club irresistible to the player.

What have we proactively done to make the club irresistible?

Darren bent said a nice training ground and stadium is low on the list of priorities
We’re talking the reverse side of this. Getting rid of an unwanted player which involves making the stay as unpalatable to the player as possible.
We couldn’t get rid of Bentley and we haven’t been able to get rid of GLC — even though there were takers for both.
If a player has his mind set on staying put then you can’t make him move. Don’t know if you ever saw the documentary on Sunderland but the club hierarchy were begging Jack Rodwell to leave after relegation but he was staying put.
The best the club can do is threaten to freeze a player out and hope that the player moves. This might work with a player who needs playing time — say, to impress an international manager but it isn’t going to work with a player who has nothing to lose by sitting on the bench and collecting a check (Schweinsteiger or Phil Jones at United or, indeed, Rodwell at Sunderland). If you bench one of your better players for not moving on — say we did this to Harry come September if we wanted to sell him in January and he was holding out for free agency — then you risk undermining the manager and the team.

The new trilogy was just astonishingly bad. As were the prequels of course.

Give it 5-10 years and we'll have fan-fic good enough to blow Disney out of the water..... I'd love to see a re-boot of the prequels....... The major bullet-points are fine, but it's just so bloody badly executed (and mostly boring).

Back
Top Bottom