Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
It’s easy to say ‘get rid of Sanchez Davies Dier’ but for that to happen we need to find a club willing to buy these players we clearly don’t want! They bs e to agree a few with us, then personal terms with the player and then the player has to want to go ti that club. It’s not that easy
did you type that with your thumbs?

What pisses me off with Badiashile is that we would have probably gone after him last summer, if Conte wasn't our manager. He only wanted Bastoni, who wasn't budging, so we ended up going the stop gap route with Lenglet to try again this summer. What a fucking waste all around and all because of a pigheaded manager.
How do we know they wouldn’t have bid when we did?

Wonder if Juve would be open to letting Locatelli go. Really wasted under Allegri in a low possession side. Great work out of possession too, good presence in defending set-pieces which I feel we'll be short on this season.

Atletico and Bayern?

yeh looks like we are actively looking to sell him. I rate him but if that's what Ange wants then it's cool.

This is the kind of thing that has left us in a mess tbh.
We didn't back Poch with the players he wanted, we then replaced him with a completely different style of manager and did sort of back him with the type of player if not THE players he wanted. Then sacked him. Then replaced him with another different type of manager and did the same. And now we're going with another different type and already people are saying "if it's what Ange wants"

What if Ange is gone?
I hate to say it, but I don't think Spurs hierarchy are bothered about long term manager appointments anymore. Levy pretty much said that in an interview recently as well, stating the average stint in Europe is 1-2 years.
So maybe we should be thinking about what Ange, and the next manager after, and the one after that wants more often.

We already have a problem where we have 2 attacking RWB's on the books for a coach that plays a back 4. And that's just the most recent additions really. The legacy of buying for a coach and letting others go for that coach has caused a lot of imbalance IMO.

I’m seeing a lot of this and whilst I do agree that Sanchez and Dier have outstayed their welcome - the amount of goals leaked last season isn’t all down to the defence. That horrible set up of 2 in midfield being totally overrun and being on the backfoot all of the time was inevitably going to lead to goals against. I hope we improve on one or two at CB, but also hope that with better coaching and more of the ball our current defenders wont be always up against it
Very valid point

This is the kind of thing that has left us in a mess tbh.
We didn't back Poch with the players he wanted, we then replaced him with a completely different style of manager and did sort of back him with the type of player if not THE players he wanted. Then sacked him. Then replaced him with another different type of manager and did the same. And now we're going with another different type and already people are saying "if it's what Ange wants"

What if Ange is gone?
I hate to say it, but I don't think Spurs hierarchy are bothered about long term manager appointments anymore. Levy pretty much said that in an interview recently as well, stating the average stint in Europe is 1-2 years.
So maybe we should be thinking about what Ange, and the next manager after, and the one after that wants more often.

We already have a problem where we have 2 attacking RWB's on the books for a coach that plays a back 4. And that's just the most recent additions really. The legacy of buying for a coach and letting others go for that coach has caused a lot of imbalance IMO.
so what do you suggest as an alternative? buy players that Ange doesn't want and sell players he wants to keep?

Hmm
Lloris, Vertongen, Alderwiereld, Walker, Rose, Dembele, Wanyama, Dele, Eriksen, Son and many, many, many more cheaper options have actually worked out pretty well for us.

Sissoko, Sanchez, Lamela, Soldado, Ndombele, GLC, Richarlison have all been useless on the whole.
The jury is still out on Porro and Romero IMO.

So maybe think about it before you moan about it.

They seem to be holding out for 40m for Raya and willing to let him go on free next season otherwise.

I've heard 80m from a few places (which is 50m+ 😃). Can't see them selling him for 10m more than Raya.

I agree though would bring him in for 50m if available
Just like no one will pay 40m for Raya, no one will pay 80m.
£30m for Raya, £50m Toney, if we can't afford to lose 80m, they definitely can't.

so what do you suggest as an alternative? buy players that Ange doesn't want and sell players he wants to keep?
I think the club desperately needs a vision..

IE "this is how we want to play for the next 5-7 years"
The coach is interchangeable but the squad isn't. If we're committing to 433 now, we need to commit to it last Ang and into the next 1-3 appointments too. Oherwise we're just going to be here again in a year or two, saying the same thing for the next manager.

Back
Top Bottom