Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is snapping both Taps & VdV properly addressing the problem, though?

Obviously time will tell, but as of right now, on paper, it's defo legit to wonder...
We conceded 63 goals - something has to be done. Would you like the club to do nothing and go with Forster + Sanchez/Dier next season?

All one can do is hope that the club has done its due diligence. Like with any player.

On paper it’s an immediate upgrade on Dier and Sanchez in several ways:

Both VDV and Tapsoba seem mobile, good on the ball, composed, and tactically versatile.

I think the point being made though is that we've been focusing on the cheaper options for 23 years, and we keep coming up short and don't win anything.
There will always be individual exceptions to the rule but in the grand scheme of things the policy clearly isn’t working....
Certainly not if our metric is on the field success
It’s almost like our rivals have more money than us and we have a much stricter wage structure.

Compared to Villa, everton, Leicester, we did not go with cheap options.

Everton was about our level a decade+ ago, and it strategy was a complete bust and set them back for years.

I’m not sure why I’m even bothering to reason with you, though.

Was hoping for a VDV here we go by tomo but it still feels like a week or so away
Or maybe the has walked away from this deal and there is already a lot more cheaper option lined up.

0_GettyImages-1407566862.jpg

Kid is that good.

It’s an overpay, obviously.

That’s what it would take to get him to Spurs from Chelsea.

60m Colwill
45m Tapsoba

Seriously rebuilding the squad to win long term.

If we end up with

35m VdV
45m Tapsoba

It could end up just as good but you are paying less because you don’t get a homegrown spine in your team

So who would be your two main centre backs from Romero, Colwill and Tapsoba?

Solomon is a better fit for Ange and maybe even a better player.

He's certainly done more against bigger clubs. He's also younger.

Be rational in your assessment and people will at least take the opinion seriously. This twitter account isn't well upstairs.
N'Solomon is not better than Harvey Barnes.

The guy is a pony, couldn't even get regular games at Fulham

I know. What can you do when they are being completely illogical & posting something that’s not even arguing the point you made.
Me “Guns kill”. Him “this gun shot survivor says hello 👋 “.
:ange-blow:
It wasn’t me who posted but the point is that spending money is necessary but not sufficient. We have spent big before on Ndombele and Richarlison but they haven’t worked out so far under the managers we’ve had.

Signings need to be made for a clear football vision and we haven’t done that. No point spending big until we can get that right.

I would have a squad that's capable of challenging seriously.

Colwill and Romero start the season but if either aren't getting it done Tapsoba replaces either and he's champing at the bit to prove the spot should be his. If the LB doesn't perform, slide VdV over there.

I'm not saying sign x2 CB that can only play LCB, Tapsoba can play both, VdV can play LB if needed.

Soloman is not pony but I would have preferred we signed Barnes. He is proven over a longer period and is still young, coming into his best years. Plus we already have his mate Maddison, he is homegrown and his price is not excessive at all.

Bullshit.

Come back to me when Harvey Barnes scores twice against Real Madrid (in the home and away leg) in the Champions League.

Barnes without Maddison playing him in behind might be a 5 goal per season player that can't really beat anyone 1v1.

Solomon was in the top 5 % of prem players for 1v1 in the prem last season.

Is the levy thread quiet or something ? You’ve been spreading your boring, single-issue crap in here too.

Be a good girl and run along to the Enic thread with your friends.

I think I'll post in whichever thread I think is relevant. If you don't mind Monsieur.

We'll let the actual forum moderator do his work, shall we?

He's 'similar' but not the same as Barnes.

Just like the Italian goalkeeper is 'similar' but not the same as Raya.

Both come in for less, regarding the fee, and their wages will be cheaper.

They are unknown quantities in the Premier League so represent a punt.

Maddison is a decent signing but if Hojbjerg follows Winks out of the door it is more book balancing and selling to buy.

Daniel Levy club.

ENIC F.C.

Wouldn’t work because none of them is a hybrid.

White/Saliba/Gabriel works because White is a hybrid

Ake/Dias/Akanji works because Ake is a hybrid (it’s also why Laporte found himself on the outs)

Peak Liverpool under Klopp: Gomez was the hybrid and you had VVD and Matip as the main two.

I’m a big Konate fan, but he reduces their options with versatility during the game.

Also see Ten Haag preferring Luke Shaw to Maguire.

I would have a squad that's capable of challenging seriously.

Colwill and Romero start the season but if either aren't getting it done Tapsoba replaces either and he's champing at the bit to prove the spot should be his. If the LB doesn't perform, slide VdV over there.

I'm not saying sign x2 CB that can only play LCB, Tapsoba can play both, VdV can play LB if needed.

Ahhh so you want VdV as well? So a four of Romero, Tapsoba, Colwill and VdV. Thats close to being the best four in the league , only City would have a better 4.

I think the point being made though is that we've been focusing on the cheaper options for 23 years, and we keep coming up short and don't win anything.
There will always be individual exceptions to the rule but in the grand scheme of things the policy clearly isn’t working....
Certainly not if our metric is on the field success
It shouldn't be about the fees.
Where we fall down is wages and level of player we sign. So many of them come from clubs below us, we hardly ever sign established winners.
Show me Aldeweireld, I will show you Fazio and Chiriches

Show me Eriksen, I will show you N'jie and N'koudou

Few poorly scouted expensive signings doesn't prove anything. Son costed as much as Lamela, Soldado or Sissoko btw. 30m
The point is, we haven't really ever signed a first choice expensive player and it be a success.

It's already got one.
American football, go karting, big sporting events, concerts and hotels.
Agreed. Especially after that fucking pathetic survey they sent out yesterday asking me if drums or flags will help the atmosphere.

Not being fucking shit will help the atmosphere Daniel, you out of touch prick.

Back
Top Bottom