Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ahhh so you want VdV as well? So a four of Romero, Tapsoba, Colwill and VdV. Thats close to being the best four in the league , only City would have a better 4.

Nah, I was confusing names tbf.

Colwill could probably do the same job at inverted LB though.

I'd be going Colwill as #1 LCB target, VdV #2. Tapsoba as the CB than can play either side and pushes Romero for his spot as well.

IMO we will definitely replace 2 CBs.
Our worst CBs are Sanchez and Rodon. If you believe the Barca chairman and Fab/POK then they will be replaced by Micky/Taps and Lenglet.
IMO we will probably replace Tanganga. ITK has suggested CCV or Tosin, both of whom are better.
We then have reliable, experienced internationals in Dier and Davies as back ups for CB/WB/MF.

He's 'similar' but not the same as Barnes.

Just like the Italian goalkeeper is 'similar' but not the same as Raya.

Both come in for less, regarding the fee, and their wages will be cheaper.

They are unknown quantities in the Premier League so represent a punt.

Maddison is a decent signing but if Hojbjerg follows Winks out of the door it is more book balancing and selling to buy.

Daniel Levy club.

ENIC F.C.

Solomon is an unknown quantity in the premier league?

Come on now.

Bullshit.

Come back to me when Harvey Barnes scores twice against Real Madrid (in the home and away leg) in the Champions League.

Barnes without Maddison playing him in behind might be a 5 goal per season player that can't really beat anyone 1v1.

Solomon was in the top 5 % of prem players for 1v1 in the prem last season.

Soloman scored twice against Rela Madrid??.....I remember when Harry Winks bossed Real Madrid and Luka Modric once upon a time. Means nothing

Wouldn’t work because none of them is a hybrid.

White/Saliba/Gabriel works because White is a hybrid

Ake/Dias/Akanji works because Ake is a hybrid (it’s also why Laporte found himself on the outs)

Peak Liverpool under Klopp: Gomez was the hybrid and you had VVD and Matip as the main two.

I’m a big Konate fan, but he reduces their options with versatility during the game.

Also see Ten Haag preferring Luke Shaw to Maguire.

White wasn't signed as hybrid. They also played the rapist as an inverted FB.

Solomon is an unknown quantity in the premier league?

Come on now.

He took advantage of being an unknown quantity. Once teams figured him out he was largely ineffective. Ask Fulham fans who watched him every game. Thats not me dissing him but someone like Barnes has been producing for a much longer period, 4 years compared to Solomans 4 months

IMO we will definitely replace 2 CBs.
Our worst CBs are Sanchez and Rodon. If you believe the Barca chairman and Fab/POK then they will be replaced by Micky/Taps and Lenglet.
IMO we will probably replace Tanganga. ITK has suggested CCV or Tosin, both of whom are better.
We then have reliable, experienced internationals in Dier and Davies as back ups for CB/WB/MF.
Replacing current CBs with those three, you have mentioned would be fine.
But I think it will be VDV/ lenglet and one other probably youngish prospect, which isn't so great , but the spurs thing to do.

Tottenham Hotspur are reportedly ready to trigger Victor Nelsson’s £21m[€25m] release clause to lure him to the newly renovated White Hart Lane this summer, as per the Turkish outlet Aksam.

Solomon is a better fit for Ange and maybe even a better player.

He's certainly done more against bigger clubs. He's also younger.

Be rational in your assessment and people will at least take the opinion seriously. This twitter account isn't well upstairs.
For a free transfer I think Solomon is a no-brainer over the likes of Barnes. Barnes is good, but he's a good upper mid table player, and his hg status would demand a price above what hes worth. If Son is out injured for 3 months, I think you'd prefer to have Barnes in his place, you can depend on him for a certain amount of chance conversion. But we have Richarlison for that. Solomon looks the better type to change the game from the bench though, miles better at beating a man and unsettling a packed defence. And when we have Richarlison, I really don't like the idea of throwing 35-40m on another 7/10 player without much chance of becoming top class.

For every flop, there are some 3-4 successful transfers on big money.

Mbappe,
Haaland,
Grealish,
Bale,
Ronaldo,
van Dijk,
Suarez

And the list goes on…
Grealish aside (who is a fantastic player) all of those players are (or have been) absolute world class and elite. And proved their ability elsewhere, justifying their fees.

For a free transfer I think Solomon is a no-brainer over the likes of Barnes. Barnes is good, but he's a good upper mid table player, and his hg status would demand a price above what hes worth. If Son is out injured for 3 months, I think you'd prefer to have Barnes in his place, you can depend on him for a certain amount of chance conversion. But we have Richarlison for that. Solomon looks the better type to change the game from the bench though, miles better at beating a man and unsettling a packed defence. And when we have Richarlison, I really don't like the idea of throwing 35-40m on another 7/10 player without much chance of becoming top class.

Absolutely.

Barnes is an above average Son style player. Son is elite at what he does. Neither of them are elite at 1v1 or carrying the ball in tight spaces.

Solomon is elite at 1v1 and carrying the ball in tight spaces.

People just don't want to look at what he is or why it's a better fit than Barnes because he didn't have a transfer fee.

Back
Top Bottom