Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Still waiting for you to explain how Chelsea, Man City or any other big club have built their success on smart £20m Njie buys. Until then, don’t bother showing me random tables and telling me who is a success or not.
Everyone knows chelsea & city big money spending is the catalyst for their huge success. It’s just the ones defending levy/enic being too cheap that are in denial. That’s why it’s a waste of time debating with them as they are completely illogical to match their agenda .

Hmm
Lloris, Vertongen, Alderwiereld, Walker, Rose, Dembele, Wanyama, Dele, Eriksen, Son and many, many, many more cheaper options have actually worked out pretty well for us.

Sissoko, Sanchez, Lamela, Soldado, Ndombele, GLC, Richarlison have all been useless on the whole.
The jury is still out on Porro and Romero IMO.

So maybe think about it before you moan about it.
I think the point being made though is that we've been focusing on the cheaper options for 23 years, and we keep coming up short and don't win anything.
There will always be individual exceptions to the rule but in the grand scheme of things the policy clearly isn’t working....
Certainly not if our metric is on the field success

I think the club desperately needs a vision..

IE "this is how we want to play for the next 5-7 years"
The coach is interchangeable but the squad isn't. If we're committing to 433 now, we need to commit to it last Ang and into the next 1-3 appointments too. Oherwise we're just going to be here again in a year or two, saying the same thing for the next manager.
It's already got one.
American football, go karting, big sporting events, concerts and hotels.

This is the kind of thing that has left us in a mess tbh.
We didn't back Poch with the players he wanted, we then replaced him with a completely different style of manager and did sort of back him with the type of player if not THE players he wanted. Then sacked him. Then replaced him with another different type of manager and did the same. And now we're going with another different type and already people are saying "if it's what Ange wants"

What if Ange is gone?
I hate to say it, but I don't think Spurs hierarchy are bothered about long term manager appointments anymore. Levy pretty much said that in an interview recently as well, stating the average stint in Europe is 1-2 years.
So maybe we should be thinking about what Ange, and the next manager after, and the one after that wants more often.

We already have a problem where we have 2 attacking RWB's on the books for a coach that plays a back 4. And that's just the most recent additions really. The legacy of buying for a coach and letting others go for that coach has caused a lot of imbalance IMO.
Making a factual statement that the average managerial stint in Europe is 1-2 years is just that: a factual statement. I do not understand how you can infer from that that the board isn't bothered about having a long-term manager.

As bad as Levy has been managing football matters, I do not think for a moment that he, or any other club chairman for that matter, wouldn't want to find a manager that we can stick with for the long term. It makes everything else so much easier.

Of course the other thing that makes things easier is to have a football identity where you hire the managers that fit it. This has been totally neglected in favor of the big name managers, but I'm hoping will be rectified with the new football structure that is being put in place and I'm sure Ange will contribute to it, whether he lasts 1-2 years or much longer.

Everyone knows chelsea & city big money spending is the catalyst for their huge success. It’s just the ones defending levy/enic being too cheap that are in denial. That’s why it’s a waste of time debating with them as they are completely illogical to match their agenda .
ManU post 2013 says hello.

Was hoping for a VDV here we go by tomo but it still feels like a week or so away

It's not like popping round the corner shop for a pint of milk you know

finger-shake-judge-judy.gif

ManU post 2013 says hello.
That doesn’t disprove what I just said you weirdo. Chelsea & city didn’t win stuff based on money because man United didn’t in 2013? & actually United did still spend quite a lot to do it. I am done with your terrible arguments. Please waste someone else’s time. You can’t even see why it’s a terrible post you just made.

Last edited:
That doesn’t disprove what I just said you weirdo. Chelsea & city didn’t win stuff based on money because man United didn’t in 2013? I am done with your terrible arguments. Please waste someone else’s time. You can’t even see why it’s a terrible post you just made.
yeah I didn't understand it at all.

Just like no one will pay 40m for Raya, no one will pay 80m.
£30m for Raya, £50m Toney, if we can't afford to lose 80m, they definitely can't.
They appear to be of the opinion they will lose some on The free rather than accept 'low ball' offers and set a precedent.

If its a good policy who knows but unless you see movenemnt on Raya it's one they are going for.

Hmm
Lloris, Vertongen, Alderwiereld, Walker, Rose, Dembele, Wanyama, Dele, Eriksen, Son and many, many, many more cheaper options have actually worked out pretty well for us.

Sissoko, Sanchez, Lamela, Soldado, Ndombele, GLC, Richarlison have all been useless on the whole.
The jury is still out on Porro and Romero IMO.

So maybe think about it before you moan about it.
Show me Aldeweireld, I will show you Fazio and Chiriches

Show me Eriksen, I will show you N'jie and N'koudou

Few poorly scouted expensive signings doesn't prove anything. Son costed as much as Lamela, Soldado or Sissoko btw. 30m

I think the point being made though is that we've been focusing on the cheaper options for 23 years, and we keep coming up short and don't win anything.
There will always be individual exceptions to the rule but in the grand scheme of things the policy clearly isn’t working....
I don't think as fans, we expect Mbappe or Messi etc, but it it should be possible for us to bring in the CBs that we have been linked with.
Unfortunately of course, we won't, and that is what is frustrating, because as a club it's always a case of "just doing enough".
Our neighbours down the road, are actively looking to try and challenge for the title, instead we are just happy being in the top six hoping for regular European competition each season.
Of course we hope the manager, gets what he wants, or most of it anyway. If he gets 6th-8th he has done ok.

Was hoping for a VDV here we go by tomo but it still feels like a week or so away
Yeah, starting to feel like the typical needless levy type delaying.

Preseason has started, vdv should be here asap cos we have so many new face and so much to get done before the season start.

What he doesn't understand or at least fails to, is until you get to Aldereweireld, you have to go through 2/3 seasons of Chiriches and Fazio.

Going cheap in the long run is actually more expensive

hang on, we bought pedro porro, the fans hammered him so much that he closed his socials

My point.

There is so much bad feeling towards the board that even new arrivals get hammered.

Yes, fans could be more balanced but I'm not paying their tickets for them so I can't tell them how to feel or act.

The board created the mess, they have the power to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom