Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Woolwich is a decent example. They were 8th twice but absolutely backed their manager and spent big when not in Europe and whilst making no money on sales. They also nearly won the league last season and went and spent £100m on a midfielder despite Partey and Xhaka having easily their best seasons for the club. I think you've got to be fairly rose tinted to think we'd sanction a deal like that in those circumstances.

As for Poch, yes at the end he was done, clearly dissallusioned as he hadnt been backed. I'm amazed he didnt quit after the non 2018 summer windiw after asking for a painful rebuild.

I hope they really back Postecoglou, i mean if not now then when? Klopp leaving, City possibly punished, Utd still rebuilding others struggling with FFP. The next 2 seasons are a huge opportunity and i hope they prove me wrong.

Ange has been backed and I see no reason why he won't continue to be.

But we aren't going to change our recruitment model for him or anyone.

What we can hope for is we continue recruiting as well as we have been over the last 3 years. Because our squad is really becoming quite something.

We will add depth for our full backs in the summer, we'll bring in a central midfielder and an attacking player or two. We just need to make sure we get them right.

More Van de Ven, more Maddison. Less Ndombele, less Lo Celso.

Think the new financial rules aren't going to give us any sort of advantage though now it's clear City will be allowed to spend up to 500m every season now under the new rules.

Ange has been backed and I see no reason why he won't continue to be.

But we aren't going to change our recruitment model for him or anyone.

What we can hope for is we continue recruiting as well as we have been over the last 3 years. Because our squad is really becoming quite something.

We will add depth for our full backs in the summer, we'll bring in a central midfielder and an attacking player or two. We just need to make sure we get them right.

More Van de Ven, more Maddison. Less Ndombele, less Lo Celso.
Less Dragusin less Solomon

Ultimately, it's going to be Anges ambition that sees us compete (if we are to do so). Building a squad singing from the same hymn sheet and wanting them to run through brick walls for him and the club. But the fans have to be on it too.

Liverpool and Klopp are a good example of this. Who's the last "superstar" they signed (at the time of signing?)

Thiago, perhaps? And he was a complete flop.

What Klopp has done and been allowed to do is build a side with the right personalities, the right profile for what his team needs. It took a while, sure. But that's the point of a rebuild.

They signed a world record GK, Van Dijk for 80m, Darwin for 100m

They signed a world record GK, Van Dijk for 80m, Darwin for 100m

And not a single one was a superstar. Who did he partner with this 80m centre back? A free transfer. Who was their starting left back? Championship player for 8m...

We signed a goalkeeper that some fans have considered better than Alisson this season and he cost us 15m.

Our two centre back pairings combined cost 80m and are one of the best pairings in the entire league...

SMART signings.

Last edited:
He can play left back as well and based purely on his YouTube clips I reckon he‘d be pretty good playing as a ball playing defensive midfielder.

This starts to make more sense to me.... Our FBs have more akin to MFs than they do WBs or CBs; so looking at players that can do those things is folly imo.

Woolwich is a decent example. They were 8th twice but absolutely backed their manager and spent big when not in Europe and whilst making no money on sales. They also nearly won the league last season and went and spent £100m on a midfielder despite Partey and Xhaka having easily their best seasons for the club. I think you've got to be fairly rose tinted to think we'd sanction a deal like that in those circumstances.

As for Poch, yes at the end he was done, clearly dissallusioned as he hadnt been backed. I'm amazed he didnt quit after the non 2018 summer window after asking for a painful rebuild.

I hope they really back Postecoglou, i mean if not now then when? Klopp leaving, City possibly punished, Utd still rebuilding others struggling with FFP. The next 2 seasons are a huge opportunity and i hope they prove me wrong.
Bravo. Everything I would have said without the swearing and some actual punctuation. It's time. We waited until we were a viable financial alternative to all but the elite (doped) clubs and now we are financially stronger than Woolwich and Chelsea with greater match day revenue. We have the right coach the stadium the training facilities and fanbase all organically grown. Now its time to fully back the manager in the way Arteta was. If he wants Williams or Braithwaite or the right back at Fulham we need to be part of that conversation. If not I'm done.

And not a single one was a superstar. Who did he partner with this 80m centre back? A free transfer. Who was their starting left back? Championship player for 8m...

We signed a goalkeeper that some fans have considered better than Alisson this season and he cost us 15m.

Our two centre back pairings combined cost 80m and are one of the best pairings in the entire league...

SMART signings.
Yep, but let’s also make the odd ambitious top tier signing to dovetail with the smart signings too (and pay over the odds to get the first choice done). Not on every occasion, but when the opportunity arises.

Ultimately, it's going to be Anges ambition that sees us compete (if we are to do so). Building a squad singing from the same hymn sheet and wanting them to run through brick walls for him and the club. But the fans have to be on it too.

Liverpool and Klopp are a good example of this. Who's the last "superstar" they signed (at the time of signing?)

Thiago, perhaps? And he was a complete flop.

What Klopp has done and been allowed to do is build a side with the right personalities, the right profile for what his team needs. It took a while, sure. But that's the point of a rebuild.
Combine that with everything we're hearing about Lange's outlook for the club (i.e. big data) and the fact that some of our best new players this season like Vicario and Micky were absolutely not the top of anyone's list (if even known before we were linked), then anyone kidding themselves that we're going to target signings from their rating in Fifa Ultimate Team are on a hiding to nothing.

Or looking ahead for their next grievance to complain about come the summer, who knows.

Personally I've got faith in this recruitment team looking at the past couple of windows. We seem a lot more sound in our incomings that the Ndombele and Lo Celso window.

Back
Top Bottom