Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You want us to be relegated and NOT be a banter club?
The last time we got relegated the following decade worked out pretty damn well . I would never advocate for it though , especially in the financially driven premier league era .

But if the trade was relegation for a “ guaranteed “ 81 to 91 decade I would take that trade in a heartbeat . In the real world no way

You’re saying you don’t want the club to develop profits from real estate which get ploughed back into the football operations?
Where do you think these resources are going to come from?

giphy.webp

Nice to see the much vaunted Gallagher may not even get in ahead of TTA in the England midfield. If as some say he has all these qualities they speak how comes his not even a nailed on starter for England over make shift RB playing in midfield.

This is a bit silly, not that I think anyone should partner Rice with Gallagher as it's too risk averse but trying to justify a manager like Southgate as if he's some sort of tactical mastermind is hilarious, playing Trent in midfield is a hail Mary move so he can spam balls over a deep block defence.

You might as well say that Wharton or Mainoo aren't rated because Trent is starting over them!

This is a bit silly, not that I think anyone should partner Rice with Gallagher as it's too risk averse but trying to justify a manager like Southgate as if he's some sort of tactical mastermind is hilarious, playing Trent in midfield is a hail Mary move so he can spam balls over a deep block defence.

You might as well say that Wharton or Mainoo aren't rated because Trent is starting over them!

He’s playing Trent there because he’s one of our best footballers, it’s not a Hail Mary. Trent is one of the most disrespected ballers in the country, his defensive weaknesses are sooooo overplayed compared to what he can do with a football.

He’s Beckham-lite and his set pieces and delivery could be lethal in internationals. You get him somewhere in the lineup.

He’s playing Trent there because he’s one of our best footballers, it’s not a Hail Mary. Trent is one of the most disrespected ballers in the country, his defensive weaknesses are sooooo overplayed compared to what he can do with a football.

He’s Beckham-lite and his set pieces and delivery could be lethal in internationals. You get him somewhere in the lineup.

I mean he can't defend, absolutely nothing controversial about that, he lacks so much defensive discipline and awareness, I don't know why people can't accept that.

Complete hail Mary move, how many games has Trent played in midfield in his career and im not talking about when he starts at RB and drifts infield, like actually games has he played in that position?

Trent IMO is much better off at RB anyway, you can get away with defensive lapses in the full back position., playing him in midfield when he'll have runners running off him and in behind him when he lacks basic awareness is ridiculous.

I agree with the sentiment and I like TAA. Overall, I think it’s the right decision.

But it’s a worrying how much Southgate is chopping and changing and moving things round. I suspect he’s massively overthinking things.

We absolutely have to be zipping the ball around today and creating chance after chance. Anything less is unacceptable.

He's not a midfielder, doesn't know how to take the ball in tight areas and pop it off. Needs space to perform thats why he is a RB and will only play against teams we will expect to be on top of.

I mean he can't defend, absolutely nothing controversial about that, he lacks so much defensive discipline and awareness, I don't know why people can't accept that.

Complete hail Mary move, how many games has Trent played in midfield in his career and im not talking about when he starts at RB and drifts infield, like actually games has he played in that position?

Trent IMO is much better off at RB anyway, you can get away with defensive lapses in the full back position., playing him in midfield when he'll have runners running off him and in behind him when he lacks basic awareness is ridiculous.

Even Klopp abandoned the midfield experiment because it weakened their structure so much, and that was using him as an 8 in a cm3.

TAA can 100% ping it like Beckham.

Would you play him #6 against France with Greizmann playing #10? or Netherlands with Xavi Simons?

Unfortunately, TAA playing #6 for us highlights just how weak we are for an elite #6 and also how weak we are at LW if we have to play Foden there instead of #10.

Against the best teams, the best balance of our MF 3 has to be #6, Bellingham, Foden but we can't do that because it means Rice is pointless and we don't have a #6.

He's not a midfielder, doesn't know how to take the ball in tight areas and pop it off. Needs space to perform thats why he is a RB and will only play against teams we will expect to be on top of.
It makes sense if we’re not expecting any sort of midfield tussle. TAA does one thing extremely well and that’s hitting first time passes both down the line and from out wide. Saka will get more chance to run behind and Foden will be able to stay wide and give us a bit of width.

It’s just irritating that we’re switching up at the last minute.

It's almost always from off-topic but I stand by every single word that earns me them. I don't feel like I've ever gone particularly overboard (especially compared to what people escape yellows with) but ultimately its down to a pile-on rather than any fair system.
Maybe I'm reading between the lines here, but you're asking Admin Admin to introduce VAR, aren't ya?

Even Klopp abandoned the midfield experiment because it weakened their structure so much, and that was using him as an 8 in a cm3.

I'd happily see Trent over Walker at RB.

People talk about Trent bad at defending but Walker is declining so bad in 2024, I think you just have to accept Trent's flaws in that position because going forward he is a cheat code and you can get away with far more in that position if you're not a great defender, Porro literally does every week.

Back
Top Bottom