Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't be discouraged

you'll get there in time

Keep learning and have patience

You'll be cooking in no time my guy

đź’Ş :levylol:

Hungry Ad-Rock GIF by Beastie Boys

I've got to admit, I'm quite enthralled with the level of tactical acumen floating around this forum.

A rank amateur might think that conceding the joint 2nd most goals over the past 20 years of club history would indicate that our final position has a lot to do with needing to continue improving our defence. But the collective tactical braintrust of TFC understands that it is primarily due to the fact that, despite scoring our joint 2nd most league goals in 40 years, all our forwards are shite.
Your post is a lot more interesting that it appears at first glance.

You're obviously right, that the numerical evidence suggests its our defence that is weak.

But the 'we need better forwards' are also right, since we failed to convert so much possession in the final third (which we over-rely on, since we're playing 'fuck it, let's outscore them' football).

And it's hard to argue that our coaching, strategy and tactics aren't in need of optimisation, since we lost games we should have one and didn't seem to learn from many mistakes in our own third (e.g. corners).

So, everybody's right. We need better everything.

Joking aside, the truth must be somewhere in between, so let's take it literally!

Get two world-class CMs in.

Yep Yes GIF by C H A R L Ă– T T E

I would love if we went for Joshua Zirkzee att Bologna.

193 cm, ball control like a 160cm player, 23 years old. From the Bayern Academy. Great att creating chances for his team and to hold up play. Heard something about him being available with a €35M release clause.

Pepelu, a 6 from Valencia not a destroyer, more of a playmaker. 186 cm, market value according to Transfermarkt, €22M
Zirkzee ain't a prolific goalscorer. And he's slow. But yeah, big and got nice feet. Off to Juve (to reunite with Motta) or Milan anyway.

Pepelu is a good player, covers a lot of ground, at ease with the ball like your typical Spanish midfielder, but not sure he's better than what we've already got...think we oughta aim higher. Kid scored 7 last season...but all pens.

Absolutely no chance.. would be a solid option for an Everton for a season.m or two but in our high line he’d get slaughtered
Whether this is true or not I can't say but Hummels' being linked ...

Hummels holds talks to join Tottenham via his agents

According to HITC, Spurs have now been offered the opportunity to bring in a very experienced, big-name World Cup winner at zero cost. Borussia Dortmund defender Mats Hummels is out of contract at the end of this month and available on a free transfer, with the ÂŁ113,000-per-week ace's representatives looking for a new home.

Hummels' agents have spoken with Tottenham over potentially joining Postecoglou this summer, as well as the likes of Chelsea, Newcastle, West Ham and Everton, with the Lilywhites handed a chance to bring the 35-year-old to England.
Way, way, way, way, way too slow. Romero is our slowest defender and he's pretty damn quick. Hummels would spend the entire season with broken hammys.

Whether this is true or not I can't say but Hummels' being linked ...

Hummels holds talks to join Tottenham via his agents

According to HITC, Spurs have now been offered the opportunity to bring in a very experienced, big-name World Cup winner at zero cost. Borussia Dortmund defender Mats Hummels is out of contract at the end of this month and available on a free transfer, with the ÂŁ113,000-per-week ace's representatives looking for a new home.

Hummels' agents have spoken with Tottenham over potentially joining Postecoglou this summer, as well as the likes of Chelsea, Newcastle, West Ham and Everton, with the Lilywhites handed a chance to bring the 35-year-old to England.
No, thanks.

Guy is as big a cunt as they come.

Perfect signing for our twatty neighbours or the Bridge criminals. But he's sure as shit not Spurs.

I would love if we went for Joshua Zirkzee att Bologna.

193 cm, ball control like a 160cm player, 23 years old. From the Bayern Academy. Great att creating chances for his team and to hold up play. Heard something about him being available with a €35M release clause.

Pepelu, a 6 from Valencia not a destroyer, more of a playmaker. 186 cm, market value according to Transfermarkt, €22M
Zirkzee has had a cracking season, not so great previously. Should be having a good look

So ..now we've seen almost every team at the euros, I have 2 questions:
1.Who should we go all out for regardless of cost?
2. Who would be the bargain buy? The unknown that would be cheap but amazing.

Ps let's not be obvious and also this isn't a levy bashing post but a genuine who should we get.

Pps obvs people like mbappe but let's rule them out.
Who's caught your eye?

Your post is a lot more interesting that it appears at first glance.

You're obviously right, that the numerical evidence suggests its our defence that is weak.

But the 'we need better forwards' are also right, since we failed to convert so much possession in the final third (which we over-rely on, since we're playing 'fuck it, let's outscore them' football).

And it's hard to argue that our coaching, strategy and tactics aren't in need of optimisation, since we lost games we should have one and didn't seem to learn from many mistakes in our own third (e.g. corners).

So, everybody's right. We need better everything.

Joking aside, the truth must be somewhere in between, so let's take it literally!

Get two world-class CMs in.

Yep Yes GIF by C H A R L Ă– T T E
While my post was meant to dig out the over-focussing on attack in this thread, I do agree we need to improve our conversion rate.

I also think the goals conceded doesn't reflect fairly on the defense. The nature of Ange's tactics is we're going to concede goals at a higher rate than more traditional tactics.

To challenge for the title we need to score 10-15+ more goals and concede 10-15 fewer.

Ps let's not be obvious and also this isn't a levy bashing post but a genuine who should we get.

Who's caught your eye?

That Dragusin guy looks good

Who's caught your eye?
If we're genuinely after a new CB, I know he's ex-Chelsea (though feels less of a Chav than CG) and that he had his injury troubles last season, but I've always liked Fikayo Tomori. Perhaps a deal to be done with AC Milan, seen as they're keen on Emerson. Get him in and we could go with he & Cuti at CB plus Porro & Micky at WB. Honestly reckon he'd come to us despite his Chels background, would help his chances to get back into the ENG fold.

In the middle I'd love to see us go after Rabiot. That'd be what you call a proper statement signing. The lad is such a great player, he'd improve our midfield ten-fold. He's a free agent soon, I believe. But even if he re-signed with Juve so they get a fee, they were keen on Hojbjerg a while back so perhaps wouldn't cost the earth. He's a 70 mil CM in my books, guy wouldn't look out of place at Real Madrid.

Also could do with a new backup goalie (Henderson from Palace or that Sunderland kid), new RB, new winger (that Werner signing really fucking us) and a proper striker who knows where the goal is (please Daniel not Morata).

I'd rather bring in Charles Barkley
Lol while it's funny. Barkley would be the 6 in my England team alongside Rice and Bellingham.

He was very good as a 6 last season and on a contract of 25grand a week not sure what villa offered him

11 G/As as a 6 last season 9 in prem, I'll take that all day long.

I'm one of them who prefer a creative 6 rather than a destroyer.

Is Barkley not a better player than PEH and lo celso?

And possibly had a better season than Bentancur and Bissouma

Back
Top Bottom