Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whether this is true or not I can't say but Hummels' being linked ...

Hummels holds talks to join Tottenham via his agents

According to HITC, Spurs have now been offered the opportunity to bring in a very experienced, big-name World Cup winner at zero cost. Borussia Dortmund defender Mats Hummels is out of contract at the end of this month and available on a free transfer, with the £113,000-per-week ace's representatives looking for a new home.

Hummels' agents have spoken with Tottenham over potentially joining Postecoglou this summer, as well as the likes of Chelsea, Newcastle, West Ham and Everton, with the Lilywhites handed a chance to bring the 35-year-old to England.
Skimmed the headline and got far too excited that we were ditching Nike to return to our spiritual roots 🤦🏻‍♂️

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/C2MmnuNuxB7/?igsh=ZTg2cWJvd3FweDA5

I am sure the scouts knew that it's not very likely that Kilicsoy will play much, if at all, during the Euros... so I doubt Levy would spend money on scouts watching Kilicsoy sit on the bench ...

Tottenham Hotspur send scouts to watch Besiktas Semih Kilicsoy​

According to Turkish outlet Sabah, Tottenham Hotspur are one of a number of Premier League clubs that have sent scouts to watch Semih Kilicsoy.

The 18-year-old ‘wonderkid’, who models his game on Manchester City legend Sergio Aguero, enjoyed a productive year in the Super Lig last season, netting 12 times whilst laying on three assists for Besiktas.

"Part of a big club with GREAT AMBITION

pain-ouch-michael-scott-nev6b9n2vz3965fi.gif
response
Hit home didn't it, such a direct response, Tottenham are not considered a big club with, little to no ambition in footballing matters.

Asked to rate the transfer window but you ended up rating the season lol

Anyway it's a bit of a redundant question, no one really knows how good the transfer business was until the players come to the end or near to the end of their tenure with the club, case in point Summer 2019, at the time people called it a masterstroke, ended up being a disaster.

To be fair, I think most people have an idea of a transfer window success within 6 or 12 months of the end of the window where a player arrives. So for example in 23./24

Summer 2023
- Vicario, Van de Venn, Maddison all 3 top class signings for 'here and now' and next few seasons
- Johnson a punt on rapidly adjusting to PL, not quite working out but 15 assists and 4 goals in first season is actually very good for a 22 year old in first season. 2nd season we find out if he adjusts to being even better
- Phillips, a young punt looking good on loan, still one for the future, Veliz a young punt, all to show.

Conclusion : Most other PL clubs fans would die to get a better Window. Strong 6 or 7 out of 10.

January 2024
- Dragusin - limited outings but looking a very solid signing on evidence so far
- Bergvall - potential in next couple of seasons is very very high .
- Werner on loan, a solid squad signing to fill a gap.

Conclusion: Spurs signed more players in January than any other PL club, and quality looks promising. So a mark way above average for the window v most other clubs in PL or Europe.

So comparing 23/24 against other PL clubs - not the pipe dream sold by dreamers or those with an agenda against the club - Spurs had a very strong 23/24 season for incoming players, far more positives than negatives with upsides on 'young player punts' who may or may not be a success.

A much stronger squad than 12 months ago - but as Ange has said multiple times, it takes 3 or 4 years to make really big changes to a squad to fit his style of play. That is reality,

Total contrast to summer 2019 when by Christmas 2019 it was pretty clear things were not going in a good way, and it just got worse after that !

Last edited:
Looks like we are not going to sell as many players as I was hoping in this window. I thought we might buy a big named forward, but with Richarliason looking like staying I don't think we have the budget for a big name. Rumours of a 100 million war chest to spend sounds feasible, but 60 million on Eze doesn't leave much left. Maybe if we got Kubo or Toney for 40 mill that would do for this window.

Back
Top Bottom