Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The problem on this forum, from the usual suspects, is that “backing the manager” generally means “buy the players I want and make sure they are fucking expensive”. And in some cases, just as long as the fucking expensive criteria is met, as the posters don’t know who they wan
I'm trying to think back, the last quality CF bought was Berbatov?

We used to get CFs the likes of Lineker, Klinsman, Sherringham, isn't that what we all want?

Now we have Richarlison, and Son or Kulusevski as makeshift CFs.

We used to get CFs the likes of Lineker, Klinsman, Sherringham, isn't that what we all want?

Adebayor?

But yeah slim Pickens

Helped by having the world’s best come through your academy

Prefer Ederson as he is better on the ball. Onana is a monster physically and great for games against City and Arse where we need sometimes to bully and humiliate but not the type we will need when teams sit deep and we need to break down. Ederson seems to be a bit of everything but imagine he would cost more.

They seem a strange pair to be interested in.

Ederson is more box to box 8 when I watched and as you say, better on the ball, Onana seems more of a destroyer #6 type that isn’t a great line breaker as a passer.

Onana being 22 vs Ederson 24 plays a role imo. If he shows any signs of developing that passing ability, the age factor would be something imo.

But our current economic model is not what you are making it out to be -

We spent 60 mil on a backup striker just 2 years ago
No we didn't.
We pre-emptively replaced Harry Kane with a player half his value and about 1/10th his talent.
If you can't see it, then maybe you're the sort of person who get's scammed by cold callers a lot.

They seem a strange pair to be interested in.

Ederson is more box to box 8 when I watched and as you say, better on the ball, Onana seems more of a destroyer #6 type that isn’t a great line breaker as a passer.

Onana being 22 vs Ederson 24 plays a role imo. If he shows any signs of developing that passing ability, the age factor would be something imo.
He’s not going to improve much on his passing at 22. He is what he is. Ederson is an all rounder and you could see why Ange would go for him. He’s the same type of player as Gallagher as he does a bit of everything.

Helped by having the world’s best come through your academy
I get what Ange said ''you can't replace Kane'' sure but that doesn't mean not getting a quality CF.

Don't ask me who, we've got scouts so someone should have been found. We bought this Veliz kid but I have no idea when he's supposed to be ready to play in the first team, it just seems like a cheap punt to me.

I agree it’s quite hard to define. Personally I would go for signing players early in the positions that need addressing . Not selling players who are critical to the team and either not replacing them or replacing them with appreciably lesser quality . Certainly this should be a key component, it’s why I said I wasn’t unhappy with our January window .

If the question is reversed what in your opinion constitutes a bad window

EDIT: I would probably add not strengthening one area and weakening another to fund it

You know why, because no-one knows what the manager wants.

It's just a word that people use and hide behind because they want their own ideals on what the club should be doing placated but everyone has different ideals hence why we have this silly subjective debate.

People talk about Liverpool as if they're the shining example yet ironically there's been so many times where Klopp wasn't backed and they went against his wishes but people want to ignore that because it doesn't suit their argument.

To answer your question though a bad window is not addressing the areas of concern and not at least trying to improve on what needs to be addressed.

OK mate. You think Levy backs all his managers and the reason they all fail to win, call him out, and get the sack is down to, ermm'.. goblins......we get it. You've made your point.

4bUV7Ls.gif

We can do this all day...

I would bite but it's a waste of time trying to debate with people who have the reading comprehension of a 5 year old

I'm sure others will so fill your boots :thumbup:

Probably not the fairest of points here. We’ve not needed a top striker for years as we already had one of the best in the world.

Granted, now we don’t, so it may well be put up or shut up time.

So who does the manager want to show he is being backed? Nobody knows if he even wants a new striker. He’s maybe looked at Rich’s goal involvements last season and thinks he can get a tune out of him. He’s maybe seen how we played in a part of false nine against City and thinks that’s the way forward. He maybe wants a young, busy bastard like Zirkzee. He maybe wants Osimhen. Nobody knows. And nobody on here ever will.

No we didn't.
We pre-emptively replaced Harry Kane with a player half his value and about 1/10th his talent.
If you can't see it, then maybe you're the sort of person who get's scammed by cold callers a lot.

My point still stands - we are paying bigger fees for players than some are making out.

He looks far too old to be getting involved in the amount of online spats he does!

Will watch it though as he's good on LWOS when on. I didnt realise he was on there so will avoid this thread for spoilers until after watching it.
It’s just a shame that guy Ricky hosts… m

So irritating, talks so fast and so much of his ‘schtick’ Is laughing and being like… ‘oh my god haha aren’t we all mental! You’ll have me at it next’ etc

Multitude of reasons for that, namely because we've had Kane for so long so we hadn't had any need to buy a top striker and striker's have genuinely declined massively over time anyway.

City are obviously the outlier but look at our rivals and who they used to line up with up front compared to now.

My point still stands - we are paying bigger fees for players than some are making out.
But we paid £60m to replace a player we sold for £100m
So we're £40m up. So where is the spend?
It was just a tactical signing, getting him in before we sold Kane. There is no doubt here that the club knew Kane would leave, either that summer or the next.

Probably not the fairest of points here. We’ve not needed a top striker for years as we already had one of the best in the world.

Granted, now we don’t, so it may well be put up or shut up time.

So who does the manager want to show he is being backed? Nobody knows if he even wants a new striker. He’s maybe looked at Rich’s goal involvements last season and thinks he can get a tune out of him. He’s maybe seen how we played in a part of false nine against City and thinks that’s the way forward. He maybe wants a young, busy bastard like Zirkzee. He maybe wants Osimhen. Nobody knows. And nobody on here ever will.
You're right we're not mind readers so we don't know what Ange wants but I can't see him being pissed off if the club gets him a top quality CF from somewhere. And I don't mean just spending £13m on some prospect from Argentina, rather someone who is ready to slot into the first team and score 20+ goals next season.

We've saved money over the years in having Kane from the academy, so when he left it was time to spend again. We need someone of Berbatov's quality. I don't know who but I'm sure they exist.

But we paid £60m to replace a player we sold for £100m
So we're £40m up. So where is the spend?
It was just a tactical signing, getting him in before we sold Kane. There is no doubt here that the club knew Kane would leave, either that summer or the next.

45m on Johnson
40 million on Maddison
30 odd million on VDV

Your issue is that we didn't spend the entirety of the money we got for Kane on another striker.

We clearly had/have more than just our CF to upgrade and we have invested all over the pitch

Let's see what we are going to spend this summer - we aren't going to be getting huge transfer fees for anyone outgoing.

I know for a fact majority of wolves fans don't mind kilman going if they get the right money. I don't rate him myself I would choose the other center back from Portugal who plays for wolves over him

You're right we're not mind readers so we don't know what Ange wants but I can't see him being pissed off if the club gets him a top quality CF from somewhere. And I don't mean just spending £13m on some prospect from Argentina, rather someone who is ready to slot into the first team and score 20+ goals next season.

We've saved money over the years in having Kane from the academy, so when he left it was time to spend again. We need someone of Berbatov's quality. I don't know who but I'm sure they exist.
You’d think that would be a no brainer. But a forward scoring that number of goals (and that level is only reached by 3 or 4 players a season) is probably one who plays exclusively between the posts and doesn’t do much else. Is that the correct player for Ange? Fucked if I know.

My dream striker for this window would be Watkins. Goals and assists aplenty. But would he fit the team properly? Or are we looking at a more fluid front three? Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom