Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would be a no from me on Chiesa, which is a shame. Good player, actually like him a lot, but he's just not that guy right now. We can't keep stocking up on 6/7 out of 10 attacking players when we already have Kulu, Johnson, Richarlison, Solomon. At least bring in a younger guy with the skills to become a top player.

Whatever about Neto's injury record, if you buy him you have a guy who projects to be extremely high level when he is on the field. Need some great scouting find to pop out of the blue this summer, because it's fairly obvious that Williams, Olise aren't going to happen for us. Quietly, I'm kinda cool on Eze as well for 70m. Would be an exciting, enjoyable signing. Not sure it's what we need or the best use of funds, but he's a fun player.

Speed is a part of his game, but it's most certainly not his biggest part or the most important. He's one of the best 1 v 1 wingers in world football due to his close control and his ability to create separation (the exact thing none of our wingers are capable of providing) and has been for half a decade. The exact profile fit for an Ange team.

If someone like Chiesa is available, wants to come and can be signed for a good price because of his contract situation, you simply get him in.

We will be playing 50+ games next season. We need a squad. If Chiesa doesn't harm our chances of getting someone like Eze in, even better.

Not sure being Prem proven means too much at all besides being a lazy trope. Most of our best signings of the last 20 years weren't Prem proven. And most of them probably turned out better than the Prem proven ones.

Sure you make some good points. I’ll still maintain if he loses just a bit of speed his game will drop off. We’ve seen how it affects Son.

I brought up PL experience because you brought Eze in to the discussion. You know what you’re getting with Eze. You’re hoping/speculating Chiesa will quickly adapt to the PL.

I can’t think of many 27/28+year olds we’ve bought over the years let alone ones from abroad that did well here. Persisic on a free I guess ?

I can also offer my right tit.

de65eec2-e486-4dac-a7db-5636f5f81230_text.gif

Sure you make some good points. I’ll still maintain if he loses just a bit of speed his game will drop off. We’ve seen how it affects Son.

I brought up PL experience because you brought Eze in to the discussion. You know what you’re getting with Eze. You’re hoping/speculating Chiesa will quickly adapt to the PL.

I can’t think of many 27/28+year olds we’ve bought over the years let alone ones from abroad that did well here. Persisic on a free I guess ?

I think the difference is Son is pretty reliant on his pace. He hasn't got the best close control and his strengths lay at him getting lots of space to run into or to be able to get a shot away due to his supreme finishing.

Whereas Chiesas key strengths are his close control and cleverness. Pace was an asset but nothing he needed to rely on to truly affect a game.

I think top class players adapt. Especially ones with the skillet of Chiesa. I don't think it's much of a gamble in terms of him adapating like signing someone like Doku may have been last season as a example.

Tbh, I can't think of many players over the age of 26 we've signed from foreign leagues regardless tbh. But I do think we limit ourselves by ruling this sort of player out if a deal can be struck.

Tbf a good few of our ‘punts’ have worked out

Bale
dele
Son
Dembele (is this a punt?)

Kulu
Benta?

These guys were all bought for 20M odd
I'll give you Bale and Dele. Dele more so than Bale as we'd seen Bale do some mad shit for Southampton before we nicked him.
Son was pretty big in Germany already. Dembele was tearing it up at Fulham and looked a beast. He also had a release clause which is another Levy favourite. Oh god I miss prime Dembele.

Kulu and Bentancur, IMO, are teetering on the edge of being failures right now. I thought Kulu was truly dreadful for large portions of last season and Bentancur hasn't come back from his injury yet. As in, he's not been anywhere near his prior levels. We also signed them from an arguably bigger club than us, so not really punts.

I could obviously reel off dozens, if not triple figures of punts in the last 25 years, but I'm sure you're aware of most of them. They greatly outweigh the success stories like Bale and Dele. (Modric, Berbatov, Carrick were good punts IMO)

One of our best transfers in modern history was pinching Luka Modric before Euro 2008. If we waited until after that tournament he would've gone to Madrid 4 years before he did.. if not a peak Man Utd or a Bayern or someone like that. But because we acted quickly, we got to see one of the midfielders in history at our place for 4 years.. And really he helped change the perception and future of the club. Would we have got that first champions league season without him? Probably not.

Why do we refuse to learn from anything? Be it our failures or few successes.. Nico Williams was the one to try and get done before this tournament started. It might have already have been a fight with Barca, Liverpool or so on, but there may have been a small chance that they blinked and were unsure, allowing us to go in. This tournament has and will continue to raise his stock to a level that we can't get him. I had the same fear that something would happen with Eze.. But luckily it doesn't seem like he's gonna get too much of a chance.

Why on earth would Chiesa cost 60m!?

I'd be amazed if Juve got any more than 35m for him MAX.

One year left on his contract. Doesn't want to sign a new one. They're not going to bleed anyone dry.
Fair enough, probs 40 ish mil then. Juve ain't gonna give him away for peanuts. Wages would be huge too.

I'd still be worried about signing him cause of his injury record. Obviously nothing says the lad gonna get another big one...and a dude with a clean bill of health could join us & break something first game...but you keen on Chiesa (or anybody else with his past), them concerns are legitimate.

One of our best transfers in modern history was pinching Luka Modric before Euro 2008. If we waited until after that tournament he would've gone to Madrid 4 years before he did.. if not a peak Man Utd or a Bayern or someone like that. But because we acted quickly, we got to see one of the midfielders in history at our place for 4 years.. And really he helped change the perception and future of the club. Would we have got that first champions league season without him? Probably not.

Why do we refuse to learn from anything? Be it our failures or few successes.. Nico Williams was the one to try and get done before this tournament started. It might have already have been a fight with Barca, Liverpool or so on, but there may have been a small chance that they blinked and were unsure, allowing us to go in. This tournament has and will continue to raise his stock to a level that we can't get him. I had the same fear that something would happen with Eze.. But luckily it doesn't seem like he's gonna get too much of a chance.

Everyone knows about Nico Williams though like he was one of the best players in La Liga and Bilbao won the cup and he was a big reason for that, not sure it would have made a difference if we approached him before the tournament, what would have likely happened is if we hit his release clause then other clubs would have got involved - something similar happened with Luis Diaz and he ended up going to Liverpool.

Just have the fucking conviction to go and get Nico Williams or Xavi Simons you bastards
Why go after a kid who only wants to join Barca? Actually, that could apply to both of them lads.

Best case scenario would be we get Simons on loan, but other than that it ain't happening.

Back
Top Bottom