Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

One of our best transfers in modern history was pinching Luka Modric before Euro 2008. If we waited until after that tournament he would've gone to Madrid 4 years before he did.. if not a peak Man Utd or a Bayern or someone like that. But because we acted quickly, we got to see one of the midfielders in history at our place for 4 years.. And really he helped change the perception and future of the club. Would we have got that first champions league season without him? Probably not.

Why do we refuse to learn from anything? Be it our failures or few successes.. Nico Williams was the one to try and get done before this tournament started. It might have already have been a fight with Barca, Liverpool or so on, but there may have been a small chance that they blinked and were unsure, allowing us to go in. This tournament has and will continue to raise his stock to a level that we can't get him. I had the same fear that something would happen with Eze.. But luckily it doesn't seem like he's gonna get too much of a chance.

Mate, everyone knows about Nico Williams and Eze. I doubt this tournament will have any affect on where they go.

According to the news publication Aslinda we are after Sebastian Szymanski and ware willing to spend €20mil on him

Played under Arne Slot when we were after him
Really hope it won’t happen. I’m from Poland and except Zieliński - I don’t see anyone that could be useful in our team. Maybe Kiwior as Udogie/Vdv backup but he is at Woolwich so out of debate. As a cheap punt - it’s better to take a look at Urbański from Bologna than Szymański

Would be a no from me on Chiesa, which is a shame. Good player, actually like him a lot, but he's just not that guy right now. We can't keep stocking up on 6/7 out of 10 attacking players when we already have Kulu, Johnson, Richarlison, Solomon. At least bring in a younger guy with the skills to become a top player.

Whatever about Neto's injury record, if you buy him you have a guy who projects to be extremely high level when he is on the field. Need some great scouting find to pop out of the blue this summer, because it's fairly obvious that Williams, Olise aren't going to happen for us. Quietly, I'm kinda cool on Eze as well for 70m. Would be an exciting, enjoyable signing. Not sure it's what we need or the best use of funds, but he's a fun player.

On Eze, it’s not that I’m reserved about signing him. I think he’s amazing. I am reserved on the budget for other positions if we sign him.

Really hope it won’t happen. I’m from Poland and except Zieliński - I don’t see anyone that could be useful in our team. Maybe Kiwior as Udogie/Vdv backup but he is at Woolwich so out of debate. As a cheap punt - it’s better to take a look at Urbański from Bologna than Szymański

What type of player is he? Looks fast and his numbers are decent

What type of player is he? Looks fast and his numbers are decent
Szymański? There is a player in there, good with the ball but weak physically, was very promising at some point. But he never delivered anything special when playing for national team, and his numbers from Fenerbahce are mostly based on his purple patch period in first part of season. Definitely not Tottenham player level.

Szymański? There is a player in there, good with the ball but weak physically, was very promising at some point. But he never delivered anything special when playing for national team, and his numbers from Fenerbahce are mostly based on his purple patch period in first part of season. Definitely not Tottenham player level.

Appreciate the input mate

Based on that hope we don't get him

Thing is, we don’t really know what either of them want. Barca are very happy with it being reported that players only want them
Think it's pretty much common knowledge in Spain that Nico wants Barca, no? I know a few Valencia fans, I'll ask them what the crack is.

As for Simons, seem to recall he declared his love for Barca a fair few times on his social. But again, could be wrong and people can always change tune anyway...especially if the cheque is fat enough.

Yeah don't want him either. 25yo, light as a feather and he's never set the world alight.

Would be a proper C-list signing. But obviously always a chance he could find another 3 or 4 gears and tear the PL a new one. But enough of them gambles, please Uncle Danny.

Zielinski, on the other hand...

Yeah don't want him either. 25yo, light as a feather and he's never set the world alight.

Would be a proper C-list signing. But obviously always a chance he could find another 3 or 4 gears and tear the PL a new one. But enough of them gambles, please Uncle Danny.

Zielinski, on the other hand...
Zieliński already sealed as free agent by Inter Milan :)

On Eze, it’s not that I’m reserved about signing him. I think he’s amazing. I am reserved on the budget for other positions if we sign him.
Say we need 4 or 5 elite players to genuinely challenge, and that they each cost circa 60 mil...you shouldn't even feel reserved cause we've got more than enough cash to get it all done.

It's not a question of can't, it's a question of won't...and it's been the case for a while now.

But perhaps when we get a game-changing stadium and sell Harry for say 100mil, you just never know...

Interesting, because what data are they determining suits our system?

Looking at the data :

Openda, Gyokeres and Gimenez are all similar profiles in terms of what they offer data wise.
Almost identical in fact.

Whereas Toney and Zirkzee are also similar data wise but pretty dissimilar to those above.

So of course teams and the way they play will have an effect. So interesting to see what data they're basing it on.

Because from what I see, Solanke and Toney should not be players we pursue from those on the list based on the data, Solanke would be bottom of the list. It also says we shouldn't be touching Zirkzee either. But he's also the youngest on the list.

Boniface and Guirassay were also two that flagged up on the data as similar to Openda, Gyokeres and Gimenez. I imagine Boniface is out of the equation but Guirassay is right there - unless him going to Dortmund is all but done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom