Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My point is that it's kinda self-explanatory that Spurs won't "try" for strikers who aren't considered better than Parrott; and if they can't get one who markedly better, then naturally they'll stick with Parrott. One doesn't need to be an ITK to "inform" people about that.
But I hope a club of the size of Spurs wouldn't waste time even trying for CF's who may be marginally better than Parrott.
Thus said, it's sometimes hard to predict the trajectory of a player, particularly a CF, and how they'll do in a league like the EPL. Names like Shevchenko, Kezman, Mutu, Pizarro, Morata, Crespo, Higuain, Falcao and, more recently, Marital and Højlund comes to mind.
It's a make it or brake season for Scarlett and Veliz, though.

Below are the CF's who've been heavily linked to Spurs for the past season and who would be available for the right price and who could strengthen Spurs - but, apart from maybe Kılıçsoy and David, at a very steep price.
Isak and Osimhen are the only 2 I safely could say would right away would strengthen Spurs, but would cost £100m+; while I am unsure it's worth the risk paying the price needed to get the other one's.
David, and Kılıçsoy are the only "affordable" ones' but there are "doubts" about them.

Ivan Toney
Marcus Rashford
Dominic Solanke
Tammy Abraham
Evan Ferguson
Alexander Isak
Patrik Schick
Mathys Tel
Lois Openda
Benjamin Šeško
Albert Guðmundsson
Brian Brobbery
Joshua Zirkzee,
Maximillian Beier
Semih Kılıçsoy
Jonathan David
Santiago Giménez
Vitor Roque
Brahim Diaz
Victor Osimhen
You forget Vlahovic and Lautaro Martinez, my personal choices.

Who does?

Dunno, but as I've said in a post somewhere else yesterday I don't see a lot of sure fire quality available at CF so I'd be happy to stick with what we have (both better track records than Toney) and back the scouting team to identify a prospect in the Bergvall/Sarr sort of bracket rather than to pay over the odds for a player, who imv, has shown himself to not be of the required level.

VDV is very different though.

He is 5 years older than Gray and was a well established Bundesliga defender when we signed him. Hugely different situation.

I hope Gray comes in and becomes an absolute star for us, but considering we already have Sarr and Bergval as young promising talents in his position, and considering the money we’re going to have to pay to get him in, I think we should be going for someone who is going to be a guaranteed improvement on what we already have in midfield.

And I get what you’re saying about Ange wanting young hungry players, but there’s a big difference in that regard between a VDV and an 18 year old with 1 season in the Championship.
VDV had only one season in the Bundesliga, not dissimilar to Gray with one season in the Champo

Dunno, but as I've said in a post somewhere else yesterday I don't see a lot of sure fire quality available at CF so I'd be happy to stick with what we have (both better track records than Toney) and back the scouting team to identify a prospect in the Bergvall/Sarr sort of bracket rather than to pay over the odds for a player, who imv, has shown himself to not be of the required level.

We know Sonny struggles playing up front and Richy has s better track record than Toney? Not sure about that.

We can rely on the scouting team as much as we want but the truth is the striker market is horrible and there's barely any stand out players at the moment that we can realistically purchase and say that they will take us up a level.

If you're looking for a young prospect like Bergvall/Sarr then you gotta wait 3-4 years for them to come good, pointless...and we bought Veliz for that reason anyway.

It's less that he is washed and more that he just doesn't have the track record to suggest he's a top level CF (best top flight season has him scoring 11 non penalty goals) his reputation far exceeds his credentials for some peculiar reason. Throw in age, meaning he's unlikely to improve, and his persona/gambling ban and it's easy to see why people aren't interested imv
This. All of this.

The biggest thing with Toney is that he's never played the way we would need him to and asking him to would be like asking him to play away from all of his main strengths.

To be a good Ange striker, you need to be mentally comfortable not touching the ball much but still constantly running with and without the ball. Essentially you have to have a unique combination of being pretty selfless for 90% of the time and then still a ruthless finisher when you sniff a chance.

None of those traits, mentally nor physically, describe Ivan Toney.

The things that people have correctly described that we need in terms of linking the play and taking defenders out of the game... those things need to come from the wide forwards in this system. You only need to hear the excitement in Ange's punditry when we was speaking about Doku and Neto to understand exactly what type of player he feels we are missing. Question is, can we find him one?

Eze has those abilities but that is a monster release clause. Doue has them apparently but it young. ITKs link Neto but can his body hack it? Are these players as rare as #9's and just as hard to recruit?

This. All of this.

The biggest thing with Toney is that he's never played the way we would need him to and asking him to would be like asking him to play away from his main strengths.

To be a good Ange striker, you need to be mentally comfortable not touching the ball much but still constantly running with and without the ball. Essentially you have to have a unique combination of being pretty selfless for 90% of the time and then still a ruthless finisher when you sniff a chance.

None of those traits, mentally nor physically describe Toney.

The things that people have correctly described that we need in terms of linking the play and taking defenders out of the game... those things need to come from the wide forwards in this system. You only need to hear the excitement in Ange's punditry when we was speaking about Doku and Neto to understand exactly what type of player he feels we are missing. Question is, can we find him one?

Eze has those abilities but that is a monster release clause. Doue has them apparently but it young. ITKs link Neto but can his body hack it? Are these players as rare as #9's and just as hard to recruit?

Brentford played on the front in the Championship so yes he has.

The fact that he's still proved himself scoring goals for a low block team playing on the counter meaning he gets far less chances in the Prem should tell you that he can adapt and do it well.

He has to step up, he's the star of the team and that's what he's supposed to do. All of his mates had done their job by stopping Portugal, either way, when the ball falls on the feet of the star of the team and he's supposed to show his value, he disappears. And it wasn't just that 1vs1, he took almost every decision wrong today and by the end didn't have the courage to take a penalty and let his team down one more time.

I have to admit I've never seen this guy play before, but he was awful today.
Well I dont know what went on behind the scenes when they picked their pen takers, just saying that we dont know if he refused to take a pen and without knowing that its rough to say he didnt step up, but since you seem to do I bow to your insight.

But we know Kyogo would get eaten alive in the Prem, we struggled with Sonny playing with his back to goal and his first touch isn't great anyway so the ball kept coming back and wouldnt stick, Toney immediately improves both of those things.
I understand that Toney is good with the ball and can hold up play to bring others into the game, his goal scoring record is not great though. My point was that Ange's strikers don't usually play like that. Would he change his style to accommodate Toney? Doubtful.

Transfers are great and all but it’d be nice if one of our academy lads turn out to be mustard. We’re overdue a top quality academy product.

I have a feeling Lankshear will be a cracking centre forward in a few years, would like to see him go to a Championship team next season to see how he gets on.

Would save us (Levy) a few quid too if he turned out to be good.

Back
Top Bottom