Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Transfers are great and all but it’d be nice if one of our academy lads turn out to be mustard. We’re overdue a top quality academy product.

I have a feeling Lankshear will be a cracking centre forward in a few years, would like to see him go to a Championship team next season to see how he gets on.

Would save us (Levy) a few quid too if he turned out to be good.
Yes 👍
Lankshear give me kinda Harry Kane vibes. I hope I am right...

PS! As I am not personally a fan of mustard so I hope they turn to some other "delicatessen" instead, though :cool:

Last edited:

View: https://x.com/LUFC_WorldWide/status/1807094423219548211

I'm sure this has already been posted here but it's worth a look if you haven't seen it.

A good first touch is one thing. But his spacial awareness at that age is truly unnatural. I've not seen anything like that at his age. What a special talent we have on our hands.

One of, if not the most, one-footed player I've ever seen!! Not once did the ball touch his left foot!! Even Lamela used his weaker foot to tackle or switch direction.

He does look good though, doesn't run around the ball like many one-footed players do. Two possible downsides, oppo will do their homework and learn how to show him onto his left and/or he'll end up with some kind of RSI injury.

One of, if not the most, one-footed player I've ever seen!! Not once did the ball touch his left foot!! Even Lamela used his weaker foot to tackle or switch direction.

He does look good though, doesn't run around the ball like many one-footed players do. Two possible downsides, oppo will do their homework and learn how to show him onto his left and/or he'll end up with some kind of RSI injury.
Fuck me, you really do know how to put a downer on things.

Transfers are great and all but it’d be nice if one of our academy lads turn out to be mustard. We’re overdue a top quality academy product.

I have a feeling Lankshear will be a cracking centre forward in a few years, would like to see him go to a Championship team next season to see how he gets on.

If we appointed Chris Coleman as academy coach a lot of our kids would turn out to be mustard.

I suspect the deal with Brentford broke down because we were in negotiations at the same time. We offered better than Brentford, and that's why Leeds refused the deal.

I also suspect that Grey's representatives we're also made an offer, now they're just dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

In all likelihood, Gray was sent for 2 medicals, so they could get this done, with one or the other, in time to meet PSR requirements. So if one fell through, they didn't waste a further day or two getting a medical booked in.
From what I’ve read, Leeds were not in PSR trouble so didn’t need to be done by 30 June. Their financial issues were instalments due on previous transfers that they didn’t have the money for. I think Brentford offered instalments / add ons for Gray which didn’t solve Leeds problem, whereas Spurs offered more upfront with no add ons.

Doesn’t matter if the deal is done 2 July or 10 July, Leeds need cash.

Spurs offering a lot upfront for Gray is an interesting to Eze, where the rumour is that if Spurs want him they have to pay the release clause, which means mostly upfront. This is a problem if you are still paying instalments on Romero, VDV, Maddison, etc to suddenly switch in one particular year to buying players with upfront cash. It hurts.

Fuck me, you really do know how to put a downer on things.
It's not a downer, he looks good. Lots of top players are one-footed, aka Messi but ask yourself have you ever seen someone so one-footed as him, I haven't. The best thing is he doesn't have that run-around-the-ball style to get a pass away at angles other than the direction it came from, how he uses the outside of his boot is like nothing I've seen, which negates running around the ball and means he has a lot of disguise.

Because of this it makes him so unique and why players might find him difficult to read but if oppo finds away to get him onto his left then his entire game could be negated. From the clips I've seen oppo hasn't found a way to do this yet as his use of the outside of the foot is so unorthodox. Maybe, this is why he's making fools of the oppo here???

If Hall, Moore and Donley don't even get given the chance to make it then we've failed them tbh.

Moore is in the perfect spot. Too young to really go out on loan, but highly rated enough to train with the first team and potentially get enough minutes here and there. And coming through at an age where he may be ready to take over from Son when he leaves/retires.

It's not a downer, he looks good. Lots of top players are one-footed, aka Messi but ask yourself have you ever seen someone so one-footed as him, I haven't. The best thing is he doesn't have that run-around-the-ball style to get a pass away at angles other than the direction it came from, how he uses the outside of his boot is like nothing I've seen, which negates running around the ball and means he has a lot of disguise.

Because of this it makes him so unique and why players might find him difficult to read but if oppo finds away to get him onto his left then his entire game could be negated. From the clips I've seen oppo hasn't found a way to do this yet as his use of the outside of the foot is so unorthodox. Maybe, this is why he's making fools of the oppo here???
He does seem one footed but he does use his left to get him out of trouble when he has to... Maybe not loads, but he does use it. think the deflected goal at Leicester was with his left aswell.

I'm a big Johnson fan
Awkward Season 9 GIF by The Office

I understand that Toney is good with the ball and can hold up play to bring others into the game, his goal scoring record is not great though. My point was that Ange's strikers don't usually play like that. Would he change his style to accommodate Toney? Doubtful.

His goalscoring record is acceptable for a team fighting relegation last season and who have been playing on the counter since Brentford have been in the league.

There's a common misconception of how Toney plays like he's some old stool target man, if anyone saw him in the Championship you would have seen that he's more than capable of playing as a ST on the front foot, he will get far more chances in the box here compared to Brentford.

We has these discussions last Summer, people wondered how we'd replace Kane and score goals and we ended up scoring more without Kane, the truth is that we don't really need some uber ST, we just need someone competent up there who can hold the ball up, bring others into play and finish chances, that is literally Toney's game.

If Hall, Moore and Donley don't even get given the chance to make it then we've failed them tbh.

Moore is in the perfect spot. Too young to really go out on loan, but highly rated enough to train with the first team and potentially get enough minutes here and there. And coming through at an age where he may be ready to take over from Son when he leaves/retires.

If Yamine Lawal can get minutes at 16 for Barca, then Mikey Moore can get minutes at 16 for Spurs. Moore doesn't look miles off physically and they are both rated as generational talents in Spain and the UK.

Ange has given him his debut already and I wouldn't put it past him to start him in the EL if we have already secured a spot in the next round. Then it's up to the player to show he's good enough.

Back
Top Bottom