Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Toney is a very good player.

People here have convinced themselves otherwise cos he plays for little old Brentford, doesn't bag 30 a season, and can be a bit of a knob in interviews. Big deal.

He's always a handful for defenders, can hold up anything chucked in his general vicinity, great first touch, can play with his back to goal, his link up play is top drawer, and he brings other players into the game. Plus he's cold as ice in the box.

We could do a LOT worse than him this summer, especially as you say by blowing 60-80m on one of these flavour of the month types on the continent like Sesko who could be very hit or miss in the Prem.

I'd wait til Brentford drop their price at the end of the window and then offer them 30-40. He would ball in a Spurs shirt I guarantee it.
I think Toney would still be on the radar. As you say they might be waiting for a price drop.

People here have convinced themselves otherwise cos he plays for little old Brentford, doesn't bag 30 a season, and can be a bit of a knob in interviews. Big deal.
People here don't want some cock-womble who actively tried to sell himself to Woolwich throughout his gambling suspension.

He continued to whore himself toward them as soon as he came back from his gambling suspension. The gambling suspension he has absolutely no remorse for, and doesn't think he did anything wrong.

Last edited:
People here don't want some cock-womble who actively tried to sell himself to Woolwich throughout his gambling suspension and also as soon as he came back from his gambling suspension that he has absolutely no remorse for and doesn't think he did anything wrong.
Hate to break it to you mate but most footballers are cock-wombles. I guarantee you we already have a fair few in our squad.

Last edited:
I think there is sense to giving Parrott a chance - and that's because there are not that many strikers around who are any good (maybe as few as two or three ) but there are plenty of suiters (eg both Woolwich and Chelsea want a striker) so we could easily end up with a selection of less good strikers to choose from.

So the question is whether its worth buying say Giminez this summer, if he becomes the best striker available to us, or whether we think its likely that we will want to upgrade on him in a year or two and then find he's not particularly easy to move on, so buying the next level up striker becomes an issue.

So one way forward could be :
- Buy a top wide forward (more plentiful than strikers) this summer
- Stick with Richarlison and Son as strikers next season, but also keep Parrott and play him in dsay 20 games next season to see how he fares - either he looks the part for us but if not the experience of playing for Spurs after an excellent Excellsior loan last season might mean he's the worth £20m
- Sell Parrott and R|icharlison next summer (so we get more money than just selling Richarlison this summer) and hope we can afford the next level up striker next season.

Meanwhile we spend some money this summer ensuring all the other positions are properly filled plus loan out youngsters such as Scarlett, Donley, Lankshear and Veliz this season to see if next summer they look candidates to play first team football in 2025/26.

So there's no doubt we want to buy a striker - but if waiting a year means we have a better chance of getting a better striker, then bolstering our current options with Parrott, may be the best way forward
My point is that it's kinda self-explanatory that Spurs won't "try" for strikers who aren't considered better than Parrott; and if they can't get one who markedly better, then naturally they'll stick with Parrott. One doesn't need to be an ITK to "inform" people about that.
But I hope a club of the size of Spurs wouldn't waste time even trying for CF's who may be marginally better than Parrott.
Thus said, it's sometimes hard to predict the trajectory of a player, particularly a CF, and how they'll do in a league like the EPL. Names like Shevchenko, Kezman, Mutu, Pizarro, Morata, Crespo, Higuain, Falcao and, more recently, Marital and Højlund comes to mind.
It's a make it or brake season for Scarlett and Veliz, though.

Below are the CF's who've been heavily linked to Spurs for the past season and who would be available for the right price and who could strengthen Spurs - but, apart from maybe Kılıçsoy and David, at a very steep price.
Isak and Osimhen are the only 2 I safely could say would right away would strengthen Spurs, but would cost £100m+; while I am unsure it's worth the risk paying the price needed to get the other one's.
David, and Kılıçsoy are the only "affordable" ones' but there are "doubts" about them.

Ivan Toney
Marcus Rashford
Dominic Solanke
Tammy Abraham
Evan Ferguson
Alexander Isak
Patrik Schick
Dušan Vlahović
Mathys Tel
Lois Openda
Benjamin Šeško
Albert Guðmundsson
Brian Brobbery
Joshua Zirkzee,
Maximillian Beier
Semih Kılıçsoy
Jonathan David
Santiago Giménez
Vitor Roque
Brahim Diaz
Victor Osimhen

Last edited:
Disingenuous. The discussion was that they both had slow starts and spurs and they both offer very little apart from excellent end product (goals and assists).

Thanks for discussing though. You have a lot to contribute if you stop being offended that people have different points of view.
err they’re forwards. I thought that’s what forwards do provide goals and assists. But what would I know, just call me old fashioned

If Mathys Tel really is available then Spurs should go all out to get him - but I doubt he want to leave Bayern or that Bayern are willing to sell...

“I'm very happy. It means a lot to me. I've learned so much already here. When you play for Bayern, you want to win every title, you have to play with heart and energy,” Tel said after penning his new deal

Southampton have approached Bournemouth for talks over a deal for Max Aarons.
The Saints want to sign Aarons as their new right-back amid uncertainty over the future of Kyle Walker-Peters.
West Ham have held talks for Walker-Peters amid Saints' interest in signing their midfield Flynn Downes.
But there is also interest in Walker-Peters from Brighton and Tottenham.

Toney would be my choice. He fits Ange’s system in that he can hold it up, back to goal and lay it off to advancing forwards/mids. He’s strong bodied and good in the air. He’s also a proven goal scorer in the epl.
The others most mentioned ie Gimenez and David pare unknown and different. David is my least favourite. I’ve watch him play a few times and he doesn’t look that special. A poor man’s Johnson imo though he does have a good finish. He’s not an Ange type cf imo.
giminez I know little about but scoring in the Dutch League doesn’t mean a lot. VJ scored goals for fun over there and did sfa at spurs

Not sure we'll sign Toney for the sort of money that Brentford will demand. Especially considering he's 28/29 half way through next season. Does that really fit the profile of a Spurs signing?

They'll probably want £40m+ but as he's only got a year left on his contract, fuck knows if they'll get it.

Still a good player, despite his form last season. He'd make us better for sure but again, it's down to the money and his age. Can't see it happening.

Toney would be my choice. He fits Ange’s system in that he can hold it up, back to goal and lay it off to advancing forwards/mids. He’s strong bodied and good in the air. He’s also a proven goal scorer in the epl.
The others most mentioned ie Gimenez and David pare unknown and different. David is my least favourite. I’ve watch him play a few times and he doesn’t look that special. A poor man’s Johnson imo though he does have a good finish. He’s not an Ange type cf imo.
giminez I know little about but scoring in the Dutch League doesn’t mean a lot. VJ scored goals for fun over there and did sfa at spurs
He doesn’t have the mobility or quick enough combination play for me. He’s a target man for a direct team. he would flop here imo.

Does he really fit Ange's system of play? Usually his striker is not that style. At Celtic he had Kyogo who wasn't like that at all. He wasn't great in the air and didn't hold the ball up, just ran onto balls and tucked them home. Sonny plays similar to that. I'm not personally against signing Toney I think he is an upgrade on Richarliason. Not sure who they will sign but most are risky.

He's always a handful for defenders, can hold up anything chucked in his general vicinity, great first touch, can play with his back to goal, his link up play is top drawer, and he brings other players into the game. Plus he's cold as ice in the box.

We could do a LOT worse than him this summer, especially as you say by blowing 60-80m on one of these flavour of the month types on the continent like Sesko who could be very hit or miss in the Prem. Scammaca, Nunez, Hojlund; buying expensive strikers from the continent is risky business.

I'd wait til Brentford drop their price at the end of the window and then offer them 30-40. He would ball in a Spurs shirt I guarantee it.

I said all this before but I was called a troll :D

People just doing way too much talking about Toney as if he's washed, he just doesn't represent the ideal striker they want because he's not young and isn't a sexy name.

I said all this before but I was called a troll :D

People just doing way too much talking about Toney as if he's washed, he just doesn't represent the ideal striker they want because he's not young and isn't a sexy name.

It's less that he is washed and more that he just doesn't have the track record to suggest he's a top level CF (best top flight season has him scoring 11 non penalty goals) his reputation far exceeds his credentials for some peculiar reason. Throw in age, meaning he's unlikely to improve, and his persona/gambling ban and it's easy to see why people aren't interested imv

Does he really fit Ange's system of play? Usually his striker is not that style. At Celtic he had Kyogo who wasn't like that at all. He wasn't great in the air and didn't hold the ball up, just ran onto balls and tucked them home. Sonny plays similar to that. I'm not personally against signing Toney I think he is an upgrade on Richarliason. Not sure who they will sign but most are risky.

But we know Kyogo would get eaten alive in the Prem, we struggled with Sonny playing with his back to goal and his first touch isn't great anyway so the ball kept coming back and wouldnt stick, Toney immediately improves both of those things.

Back
Top Bottom