Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's a cycle we keep going through.

Want creativity and magic so play TND. Get opened up regularly because he has no defence ability, so play Winks/Skipp. Football is boring and lack creativity so try TND again.

Rinse.
Repeat.

I think the terms 'laissez-faire' and 'nonchalance' sound nicer than 'gives no fucks'.

I honestly have a suspicion the money and hype has completely ruined him in combination with the language barrier perhaps and the change in environment. I have no idea what he was like in France other than the nice highlights and a handful of CL games that are endlessly referenced, but I know he was more motivated and more comfortable there in a much poorer league in a side that spoke his main language and with a lot more of his people and family around him. I also know questions about his mentality and character were being asked already.

It troubles me that he still doesn't seem to speak too much English at all after far too long, it's harder to feel part of a team and be a team player if you can't even be arsed to learn enough to know what they're all saying most of the time and mix with more than a small group. Cliques develop quickly and easily in a squad of footballers and they are often malignant. I'm sure it gets worse the better the players are and with multiple first languages involved.

The kind of money he has earned will go to some players' heads more than others and affect their motivation, some of the most exceptionally hyped and talented players have imploded due to lot less fame and money than Tanguy is exposed to. The list is endless. It happens so much at youth level with some of the most gifted, they'll think 'I've made it here' and the motivation, dedication, discipline and professionalism needed to keep improving as a player starts to drop off.

Psychology, character and attitude is a massive part of motivation and when you're earning about half a million after tax per month after coming up from relatively fuck all exceptionally quickly, it would have a profound affect on anyone. I have a feeling the likely small circle of people he has around him (and likely a few of his mates sponging off him and as a personal support blanket here, as I'm positive happens with lots of other players...Jimmy Five Bellies was one of the first famous hangers-ons with Gazza) are forever telling him how great he is all the time etc.

When you combine that with the exceptional level of talent he has, he is more likely to believe it IMO, especially when he is capable of embarrassing every single player in the squad with his skills, tricks and ability and I'm sure they all rib each other as any of us would for nutmegs etc. (I was bad for it myself as a younger man and often paid the price with challenges).

He already should have enough money to look after himself and his family for life if he has half a brain/an ounce of sense, so money likely isn't an issue for life, so he really doesn't have to work hard for it anymore. Subconsciously he will know that.

I think he needs intensive language lessons and a French bi-lingual sports psychologist or something to have any kind of chance of making it here or fulfilling his potential anywhere unless he has some sort of personal epiphany.

He possibly needs different people around him, from the little I've seen on IG, those closest to him have put stories of clips of skill where as per the norm, these pieces of skill (while often flashy and needing immense levels of talent to do) in the majority turn out to be of no benefit to the side (beating several players or a man more than once to end up in a poor area of the pitch, passing back after going forward etc.). His agent will be relentlessly Jerry Maguiring him and arse kissing because they are primarily self interested parasites when they have their claws in a high earning player. It's all went to his head, the thing is though the same stories about him and the same words about his attitude have been pretty much continual from youth football until present day, he's 25 in less than 10 weeks.

People think I hate him, it's pretty far from it, but I kind of resent him for having the talent he has, the opportunity he has and the wealth he has accumulated while walzing about looking unfit for more than 2 years in one of the best stadiums on the planet, playing in the shirt a lot of us have daydreamed about since childhood kickabouts for the club they love.

I fear he's never going to be enough of a team player or work hard enough for someone like Conte and am down to my last single strand of hope in those things changing so he can turn it around here and make the most of the massive potential he has.

Last edited:
I don't live in the UK, and I don't get the all the media reports like most of you do, so it's hard for me to judge how he is in practice. Maybe he practices poorly, and that is his main issue. But, the one thing that I can say is that every time he's had a new manager to play for, he's basically started at 0, with no trust in him coming from the manager. Maybe he's the type of guy who needs someone to trust in him and show him that they believe in him, and it seems to me that he's never had that at Spurs. I'm not saying that anyone is entitled to the benefit of the doubt like that, but he wouldn't be the first to struggle when he's on the outside looking in from the start, and this is now the fourth time in three years he seems to be in that spot. I can see where someone could struggle in that position.

I don't give a fuck if he's lazy in training, 80% the matches he played for us he was probably the best on the pitch, saving our asses so many times, it's undeniable that he's our most talented player. Wheter he's lazy in traning or not, we don't know, but it seems so and it seems the reason he's not trusted by manager. But despite that, at least for me, is clear he has a spot in our best eleven given how shite we are creativity wise. No one in this team is able to create anything for shit, if we keep on relying in turds like Moura, Winks and Hojbjerg it may work against Leeds, but we will be hammered by any top 4 team.

I don't live in the UK, and I don't get the all the media reports like most of you do, so it's hard for me to judge how he is in practice. Maybe he practices poorly, and that is his main issue. But, the one thing that I can say is that every time he's had a new manager to play for, he's basically started at 0, with no trust in him coming from the manager. Maybe he's the type of guy who needs someone to trust in him and show him that they believe in him, and it seems to me that he's never had that at Spurs. I'm not saying that anyone is entitled to the benefit of the doubt like that, but he wouldn't be the first to struggle when he's on the outside looking in from the start, and this is now the fourth time in three years he seems to be in that spot. I can see where someone could struggle in that position.

Not entirely accurate....... Each time he's started with a clean slate and quickly alienated himself.... Then there's the various comments from previous pre-Spurs managers that simply serve to re-inforce the prevailing narrative.

Just maybe the penny should have dropped for him after the first 4 managers here that he needs to make the effort to endear himself to Conte and actually embrace the clean slate this time around, rather than repeat the cycle; but here we are yet again.....

I don't give a fuck if he's lazy in training, 80% the matches he played for us he was probably the best on the pitch, saving our asses so many times, it's undeniable that he's our most talented player. Wheter he's lazy in traning or not, we don't know, but it seems so and it seems the reason he's not trusted by manager. But despite that, at least for me, is clear he has a spot in our best eleven given how shite we are creativity wise. No one in this team is able to create anything for shit, if we keep on relying in turds like Moura, Winks and Hojbjerg it may work against Leeds, but we will be hammered by any top 4 team.

What????

I am not a Ndombele hater by any means but I would say 20% would be a high number for the amount of games he has been the best player and if you said the number was actually 0 I am not sure I could come up with examples to disagree with.

I was just thinking about how I don't think he has had a game for us in which he has been better than 7, maybe I am forgetting a game, but even so it is maybe 1 or 2 at most.

He has the most talent of any MFer and probably only behind Kane, Son, Lloris and Romero for talent overall but it has been long enough that talent and potential is not close to enough.

would have no issue with fucking him off. gives off that lazy vibe and lets be honest he isnt as talented as someone like berbatov who got way with it. his attitude stinks, at least with the likes of berbatov the sheer passion came through at times, ndombele looks like a wage thief.

the club really need to be vetting the personality of these players before paying big money in future. paying 50 million for someone whos happy dossing about in sliders all day, with no display of any passion for the game, is pretty disgraceful business.

When did he save us?? He has played well in patches in some games thats it. Max

He's a phenomenally talented player but this is objectively horse shit, sorry. He's had loads of games where he's done very little to nothing and then been hooked early. I'd say at absolute best his ratio of good games to nothing performances is 40/60, and that's me being kind.

He was complaining about him in the warm up earlier no?

Harder, faster, better, stronger.

Quickest in the warm down when he never got a kick and was fresh as a daisy after the rest of them outran Murderball Leeds United has to be one of the most stupid fucking points for a headline article I've ever heard of in my life...even from Football.London.

Quickest in the warm down when he never got a kick and was fresh as a daisy after the rest of them outran Murderball Leeds United has to be one of the most stupid fucking points for a headline article I've ever heard of in my life...even from Football.London.
"the fitness drills for those who didn’t play and he was among the fastest."

Learn to read and stop crying like an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom