TFC's Tactical Autopsy Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

NameSuccessful pressures per 90total
Ndombele7.435
Lamela7.115
Hojbjerg5.746
Winks5.315
Sissoko4.926
Son4.834
Kane3.528

Lamela21.946
Ndombele21.7102
Son19.4138
Hojbjerg16.6132
Winks1542
Sissoko14.478
Doherty13.176
Kane12.196
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

This is why I would play Lamela and Ndombele today if they are fit.

Going back to city away last season, Lamela was our best player. He played in between the lines of the city defence and midfield, eventually scoring a goal from there. Persistently applying pressure on the ball. It's obvious but you can't allow City to pass the ball through midfield easily.

De Bruyne gets credit for creating chance, but cutting out the pass before into de Bruyne in my opinion is more important. This is where Lamela, Tanguy and Son come in. Only thing with Lamela is that he gives away stupid fouls.

Wish they'd went into more about us/the subs instead of how bad Rodri was but nice note about Stevie B's positioning, who hasn't been mentioned much in the match thread but I thought was a brave choice over Bale or Lucas.

Thought Kane's comments about how we had planned a mid-block but dropped too deep in the first half and realized we needed to push up a bit more in the second were interesting too, because I'd thought this was the first time we'd really executed Mourinho's game plan completely :p I did feel we were a little too deep in the first half for comfort, so good to see that wasn't necessarily the plan but something we could see and adjust.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

This is why I would play Lamela and Ndombele today if they are fit.

Going back to city away last season, Lamela was our best player. He played in between the lines of the city defence and midfield, eventually scoring a goal from there. Persistently applying pressure on the ball. It's obvious but you can't allow City to pass the ball through midfield easily.

De Bruyne gets credit for creating chance, but cutting out the pass before into de Bruyne in my opinion is more important. This is where Lamela, Tanguy and Son come in. Only thing with Lamela is that he gives away stupid fouls.
Ironically came across this post I made before the last game against City. I'm still a believer that Lamela will be key on Saturday.

Post above also shows a nice analysis of the last game.

I actually wanted to post about the Hojbjerg and Ndombele combination in midfield. I think most people have settled on it. Tbh I'm not against it. Only thing I have noticed which has contributed to us conceding more goals is pressure on the ball in midfield, or more precisely lack of pressure since we moved to Hojbjerg and Ndombele. Not that we had pressure on the ball previously but we had many defenders back which compensated.

I don't think City is a fair game to assess this, as we will be bus parking. But against the other teams, if we decide to play and not bus park then pressure on the ball in midfield is a must when not in possession.

Defence is a shambles but I think the midfield can be doing more to prevent chances being created by the opposition.

But what if you're name is Fraser Forster and you dive like a tortoise with rigor mortis?

I still can't get over those 'attempted' dives against Fulham.
that is so much bullshit - look at the highlights, you are being desperately unfair to the guy.
on 52s he pulls off a fantastic reaction save, getting down low to well directed header -
and for the pens he guesses the wrong way - any keeper looks a goof when they choose wrong, and most takers can change direction as they see the keeper commit.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOJfi7c_NRE

It’s clear that data has already revolutionised some aspects of sports strategy, and that even people who regard themselves as intuitive and distrusting of data are operating on a continuum — and the whole continuum has shifted significantly towards data-informed decision-making.

As extreme examples, football clubs like Brighton & Hove Albion and Brentford — both owned by professional gamblers — have used data-rich models to value players differently (and better) than the consensus. They have been able to identify players who are under-valued (so they can buy cheap) as well as players who are over-valued (so they can avoid misallocating resources, or alternatively, sell on at a profit when the price is right). Both clubs have successfully punched far above their weight. This is the evolution of the original Moneyball playbook, in which the smarter “Davids” find the (data) tools to fell the richer “Goliaths”.

The imprint of data is stamped on on-field tactics as well as off-field recruitment. Basketball’s Daryl Morey — first as general manager of the Houston Rockets then the Philadelphia 76ers — reshaped his sport by elevating the three-point shot. Previously, teams had been too risk-averse in taking three-pointers: though it seemed unlikely to many insiders, the reduced consistency of three-pointers was outweighed by their higher expected value overall. What once looked weird is now mainstream.

How sleep became the new marginal gain in football

In the previous Cricket World Cup cycle, England’s white-ball teams made a similar calculation — first in the run-up to the 2019 ODI World Cup and then before the 2022 T20 World Cup (England won both). Previously, cricket teams had generally been failing to exploit their resources effectively by being too risk-averse about losing wickets, hence scoring too slowly and therefore “leaving runs out on the field”. The ultra-aggressive approach of England’s individual batsmen within those teams was actually highly rational: it was a daring form of common sense.

At the level just below England, better data is now providing improved evidence about which next-in-line players are better suited to the step up to international cricket. Hawk-Eye ball-tracking data is now available at every county game where previously it was just for televised matches. This information will show which county players excel when the level of the match goes up — such as batting against faster bowling or more extreme spin — and the experience more closely resembles international cricket.

So far, we’ve considered data that relates predominantly to individual actions and metrics. But the next chapter in the data and AI story is set to revolve around more dynamic and collective questions.

Morey reshaped basketball by elevating the three-point shot

Morey reshaped basketball by elevating the three-point shot
TIM NWACHUKWU/GETTY IMAGES
The theme, in fact, was our first prompt to collaborate, because although we are co-authors here we arrive at the question of data and AI in sport from opposite perspectives. One strand of Ed’s last book Making Decisions explored the enduring relevance of instincts and judgments, ie human rather than machine intelligence, especially how it can augment (and sometimes overrule) algorithms and mathematical models. Nick’s academic career as an AI researcher leads him to the same terrain from the rival direction: how can we build effective partnerships between intelligent computer systems and humans to make the best use of their differing strengths?

In football, tracking a player’s individual movements and actions is now relatively easy and cheap. But what about players’ ability to enhance the team’s collective movement and shape of the whole? It is, after all, the success of the team which matters most. In Johan Cruyff’s adage: “Choose the best player for every position and you’ll end up not with a strong XI, but with 11 strong ones.” Modern AI systems that have rich models of effective teamwork and optimise for the group, not the individual, could determine the relative value of the various positions and permutations of players on the pitch. They would focus on which players add the most to the collective intelligence of the team.

Such an approach would have consequences for the familiar critique of (legacy) data: that it can encourage players to become unhealthily self-absorbed with their individual stats. But by making metrics properly team-orientated, that situation can be reversed: instead of encouraging selfish play (as not-outs could be in cricket, or risk-averse but unproductive “completed passes” may be in football), data could reinforce actions and decision-making that serve the team. However, just as an individual should not be judged without considering their team-mates, a team should not be judged without considering their opposition. As in so many areas of life, the answer to the question, “Who’s better?” demands an understanding of context. Where? Who is alongside them? And against whom are they playing?

This means the AI system also needs to embody this context. It needs to model both the co-operation between the players on the same team and the competition that happens between the teams. This analysis needs to go much deeper than individually-measured “match-ups” and will require digital twins that allow many different scenarios to be explored in an extensive suite of game simulations.

It’s very early in the story, but it will be intriguing to see if Woolwich alternate between two goalkeepers, as Mikel Arteta has hinted they may, potentially on a horses-for-courses basis. If it goes wrong, of course, it will provoke pundits’ fury, as selection stability in the team’s spine is an entrenched convention. But if it works, it may point to a more flexible approach to selection across the whole pitch.

The interaction of conditions, colleagues and opponents has always been at the heart of all sports strategy. And it’s time for the next wave of collective data and team-based AI to catch up and support this.

About the authors​

Professor Nick Jennings is vice-chancellor and president of Loughborough University. Ed Smith is director of the Institute of Sports Humanities.

This is a bit shallow maybe - the criteria not exactly expansive - Bissouma is the second best in the PL, but check out who the Spurs linked player is the second highest rated English based (the highest rated English)player is:

The 435th CIES Football Observatory Weekly Post analyses the Wyscout data on passes to draw up a global ranking of the world’s top 100 midfield distributors among those who played at least 450 domestic league minutes during the current season. The top three are Rodri (Manchester City), Frankie de Jong (Barcelona) and Toni Kroos (Real Madrid).
The top-ranked players outside the European big-5 are Aschraf El Mahdioui (Al-Taawoun, 6th), Álvaro Fidalgo (CF América, 8th) and Yahya Jabrane (Wydad AC, 10th). Three players who have not yet celebrated their 21st birthday rank in the top 100: João Neves of Benfica (34nd) and Eduardo Camavinga of Real Madrid (71th). Two footballers aged over 40 also feature in the top 100 places: Felipe Melo of Fluminense (38th) and Yasuhito Endo of Jubilo Iwata (77th).

The index used takes into account the number of successful passes per match, the percentage of successful passes, the ratio of passes compared to teammates, as well as the average level of matches played. The methodology behind this last metric is explained in this note. Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information about our services.

View: https://imgur.com/a/EKfkuMn

:pochshock2:

Last edited:
This is a bit shallow maybe - the criteria not exactly expansive - Bissouma is the second best in the PL, but check out who the Spurs linked player is the second highest rated English player is:

The 435th CIES Football Observatory Weekly Post analyses the Wyscout data on passes to draw up a global ranking of the world’s top 100 midfield distributors among those who played at least 450 domestic league minutes during the current season. The top three are Rodri (Manchester City), Frankie de Jong (Barcelona) and Toni Kroos (Real Madrid).
The top-ranked players outside the European big-5 are Aschraf El Mahdioui (Al-Taawoun, 6th), Álvaro Fidalgo (CF América, 8th) and Yahya Jabrane (Wydad AC, 10th). Three players who have not yet celebrated their 21st birthday rank in the top 100: João Neves of Benfica (34nd) and Eduardo Camavinga of Real Madrid (71th). Two footballers aged over 40 also feature in the top 100 places: Felipe Melo of Fluminense (38th) and Yasuhito Endo of Jubilo Iwata (77th).

The index used takes into account the number of successful passes per match, the percentage of successful passes, the ratio of passes compared to teammates, as well as the average level of matches played. The methodology behind this last metric is explained in this note. Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information about our services.

Winks?

Was always a decent footballer, hope he's doing well at Leicester

This is a bit shallow maybe - the criteria not exactly expansive - Bissouma is the second best in the PL, but check out who the Spurs linked player is the second highest rated English based (the highest rated English)player is:

Leicester are coasting, they could be 20 points clear of 3rd by the new year.

Cunts.

NameSuccessful pressures per 90total
Ndombele7.435
Lamela7.115
Hojbjerg5.746
Winks5.315
Sissoko4.926
Son4.834
Kane3.528

Lamela21.946
Ndombele21.7102
Son19.4138
Hojbjerg16.6132
Winks1542
Sissoko14.478
Doherty13.176
Kane12.196
But, but, but... I thought NOMNOMNOMdombele was lazy and just a G+A merchant.

You mean he also led our players in successful pressing/proactivity?

Movie Reaction GIF

Is this the thread where we can talk about xG without a bunch of geezers and those with mathphobia freaking out.
I don't have a maths phobia, I did comspi undergrad and studied AI and cryptography. I'm just very sceptical of the statistical analysis done in football.

Football is, or should be, among the most challenging sports/games to model statistically. It's incredibly dynamic, there are so few discrete states with deterministic outcomes from one state to the next.

Maybe someone more educated can explain, but I'm not convinved by stats in football.

Back
Top Bottom