The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One great thing about the Qatar World Cup is that transport might not be a terrible issue. The longest distance covered to get from stadium to stadium will be a mind-bending 122 km, four of 12 stadia will be in Doha, and another six will be within 30km. Much better than the airplanes needed to connect in South Africa (or, worse, in Brazil).

I can't tell if the stadium drawings are amazing or garish as hell. I spin between the two reactions rather dramatically. I pulled these from Sports Illustrated.

Doha will add three grounds to the Khalifa Int'l Stadium:
rukCyaz.jpg

BNvcOZ0.jpg

JzIWDMk.jpg

Around Doha, there will be five other grounds as well as the Lusail Iconic Stadium, whose picture I didn't bother finding:
XJiw5BY.jpg

Sb5HmkD.jpg

r4lBAf4.jpg

p8NxDJ5.jpg

37ymG8B.jpg

Finally, two stadia well outside (by Qatari standards) of Doha:
gPTKmAP.jpg

rhcoLbs.jpg

One of my main criticisms of awarding the WC to Qatar is not based in some of the questionable ethics of the country but instead of the sustainability of holding such a high profile tournanment. Qatar, unlike many of the other nations who also submitted bids, will pretty much have to build all of the stadia, training facilities and surrounding developments from scratch, in order to host the teams, media, officials and not to mention the many thousands of fans who will come over. On top of this, if the tournament were to be held in the summer, think of the energy that will be drained powering giant air conditioning units to cool an entire stadium! Although I am not doubting the spending power or ambition of the Qatari government, they are nevertheless taking an almighty risk with the amount of money that will need to be invested in order to get this WC off the ground.

Stadiums are cool as shit but just more white elephants. 18 stadiums in 2 cities for a country whose entire domestic league system has 18 teams. Some of them will either have to be torn down or stand empty. Incredibly stupid use of resources.

Stadiums are cool as shit but just more white elephants. 18 stadiums in 2 cities for a country whose entire domestic league system has 18 teams. Some of them will either have to be torn down or stand empty. Incredibly stupid use of resources.
The plan is that the stadiums will be donated to developing nations that could otherwise not afford them.

Utter madness.

I'm still clinging to the hope blatter dies soon and all this silly nonsense will go away.

They should never have been allowed to hold 2 separate ballots in one go for world cups.

Completely corrupt.

After France 2016 I can't see a tournament being the same again. Russia in 2018 is a disgrace, Euro 2020 is the death of international tournaments, Qatar is ridiculous. Would be so surprised if we saw another standard tournament in a place like Portugal etc.

After France 2016 I can't see a tournament being the same again. Russia in 2018 is a disgrace, Euro 2020 is the death of international tournaments, Qatar is ridiculous. Would be so surprised if we saw another standard tournament in a place like Portugal etc.
After Russia it's going to be an age before another World Cup is hosted in Europe again (IMO). FIFA are going to keep on milking these potential revenue streams in countries where football is not a number one sport, or where the money lies (Qatar). England, of course, has a genuine credit to host another World Cup - we're probably the best country in world to do so since we have the infrastructure in place, right now, to host a World Cup. Of course, this is of no interest to FIFA because England is football mad and already the richest footballing nation on the planet in terms of revenue.

On top of that, UEFA decide to increase the size of the Euros and completely dilute the competition with weaker teams. The whole appeal of the European Championships was the sheer amount of quality sides within it's small format (16 teams).

After Russia it's going to be an age before another World Cup is hosted in Europe again (IMO). FIFA are going to keep on milking these potential revenue streams in countries where football is not a number one sport, or where the money lies (Qatar). England, of course, has a genuine credit to host another World Cup - we're probably the best country in world to do so since we have the infrastructure in place, right now, to host a World Cup. Of course, this is of no interest to FIFA because England is football mad and already the richest footballing nation on the planet in terms of revenue.

On top of that, UEFA decide to increase the size of the Euros and completely dilute the competition with weaker teams. The whole appeal of the European Championships was the sheer amount of quality sides within it's small format (16 teams).

Should hold World cup in OZ- Beers cold, suns warm, women plentyful, food fresh (no horse-meat!) Just ask the Barmy Army how good it is!

Back
Top Bottom