The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You actually believe that the boycott was a moral decision out of love for the Afghans? Do you know the regimes the US backed and armed in the 80's?
No, which is why I said in the second sentence that it was a geopolitical decision and their allies were doing horrible things at the time.

I was responding to your point that mass slaughter in Syria doesnt count as much as mass Slaughter in Ukraine when it comes to stopping a country from hosting a tournament. Your reason was due to them having too much melanin in their skin for people to moralise. I gave a counterexample of America trying to stop or boycott a tournament when brown people were being slaughtered. It was also a good example of moralising because moralising usually involves an unjustified sense of superiority which the Americans clearly had when condemning the Soviets campaign of mass terror in afghanistan when their own allies were doing similar.

It has nothing to do with them caring about Afghans, if they did they wouldve negotiated a withdrawal with the soviets from the beginning. Instead, they armed Mujahideen scum who would throw acid in women's faces during their free time and then did absolutely nothing to help the country after the Soviet withdrawal.

Yes, I don't believe the government should be in the business of policing what people do in their bedrooms. That's the short answer since that's what you asked for.

The longer answer includes a lot more details and whether that alone is enough to strip Qatar of the world cup but that's a different topic
Absolutely it's a different topic.
It was all bribery and corruption that got them the world cup, regardless of their stance on human rights, the same as Russia.

It's not quite the answer to the question I asked.
Saying that you don't believe the government should be in the business of policing what people do on their bedrooms is not the same as agreeing that LBGT + people should have the same rights and privileges as everyone else.

I take it that you condemn Qatar's laws on homosexuality, their regime and the makers of those laws then ?

FIFA - "focus on the football"

Bunch of corrupt dickheads.

Absolutely fucking mad that we're having a world cup in a country where you can be sent to prison for 7 years for being gay.

I'm surprised and disappointed that no countries boycotted the tournament. It's football. It means fuck all in the grand scheme of things.

I hope something tragic happens so this WC is remembered as a renowned disaster

Yeah, that's taking it too far I think

Pretty sure the majority of the world see this WC as a disaster already, we don't need a tragedy to confirm what we already know.

File this in the it is what it is category, it's 30 days of football, it'll be over in a month then we can move on with our lives.

Another source.

"Sources have confirmed that the group — which is understood to include four members of the England band, including its leader John Hemmingham"

I couldn't stand that band as it was, now there's more reason to loathe the bastards. They will probably say they were going anyway. But being paid to cheer and sing, when you're told; and write positive comments about an abhorrent regime. Fuck them.

:deledoubt:

I think you'll find there's been too much already.
Agree that’s my point. It’s been brushed under the carpet. Will take a westerner getting 10 years in prison or a stoning for it to really land…. Never mind the Bangladeshi workers they’ve treated like utter shit for years

Hopefully Lineker gets banged up or 50 public lashes

Last edited:
Agree that’s my point. It’s been brushed under the carpet. Will take a westerner getting 10 years in prison or a stoning for it to really land…. Never mind the Bangladeshi workers they’ve treated like utter shit for years

Those that care to, already know......

Further suffering is no answer.

LOL.

I'm not sure hoping somebody gets stoned to death is the appropriate response to a group of other people doing horrible things.

Back
Top Bottom