The Blame Game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who shoulders the blame?

• Total voters
I hadn't seen that, I tend not to pay too much attention to what our former managers are doing. The truth is, none of us know for certain what went on, despite what AVB has said. Would he really readily admit that he was sacked, again?

He said at Zenit

""In regards to my second year with Spurs, I cannot comment on this due to contractual reasons."

I did read something to the effect that he was expected to fix said goal problem by reinstating Ade, but refused or something, whether he and Levy agreed to agree to disagree or whether it was in his contract that he wasn't allowed to do this (after what happened at Chelsea w/Terry, Lamps etc.) I don't know.

Levy wouldn't have sacked him like that, not off the back of just one game.

Look at what happened at Chelsea with AVB and Redknapp at us. If he'd been sacked we'd hear all about it from the horses mouth

Players - for being useless emotionless passionless cunts
Levy - for hiring Sherwood when he blatantly needs to get some managerial experience first
Sherwood - for agreeing to take the job (although I suppose I can't really blame him) when he deep down knows he hasnt got the skill for it
Fans - some sections of the fanbase for not giving certain people a chance from the get go
Your mum.

Kinda sums it up for me. More than one cause to almost everything in life.

What would you do differently next season? New manager? Stick to buying young prospects or bring in some older heads?

Experienced manager is definitely number 1. Resist the temptation to ship off older players like Lennon and Dawson even if they aren't playing well. We don't need to stop buying young players but we need to bring in some experience to offset the youth.

True, but:

We were competing with PSG for Moutinho (a battle we'd have never won)
Hulk - don't remember much about this one
Damaio - that was destined to never happen
William - can't compete with Chelsea's money
Villa - this was a fuck up, but apparently down to Levy haggling over 500k?

See your point though

Moutinho went to Monaco mate but I see what you are saying, the only difference being Monaco weren't in the UCL either and only play in front of a small crowd in a fairly poor league. Damaio could have happened if we really wanted it to. Agree on Willian we got fucked over there and Villa was a monumental cock up. I just wonder what would've happened had we signed the players our manager wanted.

I think a DOF only truly works if he and the manager work in perfect tandem rather than as two seperate entities. I have no doubt that Baldini is very good at his job but were the circumstances right?

He said at Zenit

""In regards to my second year with Spurs, I cannot comment on this due to contractual reasons."

I did read something to the effect that he was expected to fix said goal problem by reinstating Ade, but refused or something, whether he and Levy agreed to agree to disagree or whether it was in his contract that he wasn't allowed to do this (after what happened at Chelsea w/Terry, Lamps etc.) I don't know.

Levy wouldn't have sacked him like that, not off the back of just one game

It is all well and good you saying all this but you don't know. For all you know the contract said that he couldn't discuss the reasons for his sacking.

Pretty sure if you breach your contract you are liable to be sacked anyway, I don't know but like I say neither do you. It is a relatively moot point I was just throwing a number of possible reasons out there, ones that have been bandied about time and time again this season.

Everyone has short memories if we're to lay any blame at Baldini's door. He was the guy who made our summer effective, getting deals done sharply, where as Levy leaves until last minute. Weather the players were correct or not (I still think most are good), them not bedding in was out of his control.

Definitely. No cunt was complaining at the time. Multiple for me: AVB has to take a huge bite of the shit sandwich for his turgid football and stubborness. The board/Levy another mighty portion for not sticking with him longer (maybe?), and their continual indifference to us fans. The players, too, for their inept displays (and I'm not even including the new boys). But anyone who significantly blames Sherwood for this farce of a season needs a reality check in my opinion.

Experienced manager is definitely number 1. Resist the temptation to ship off older players like Lennon and Dawson even if they aren't playing well. We don't need to stop buying young players but we need to bring in some experience to offset the youth.

Just wanted to take a second to say that you are the most knowledgeable and well articulated American Spurs fan I have ever come across.

Would you look at anyone in particular to fill the gap, in terms of experienced players, someone like Ashley Cole perhaps?

It is all well and good you saying all this but you don't know. For all you know the contract said that he couldn't discuss the reasons for his sacking.

Pretty sure if you breach your contract you are liable to be sacked anyway, I don't know but like I say neither do you. It is a relatively moot point I was just throwing a number of possible reasons out there, ones that have been bandied about time and time again this season.

Either way, the most embarrassing thing once again is how many people blame Levy...

People wanted AVB sacked - AVB goes (for whatever reason) - Levy gets blamed
People (fans & media etc.) wanted Sherwood to be given a chance - Sherwood gets chance - Levy gets blamed
Levy offers reinforcements in January window - Sherwood refuses - Levy gets blamed
People want manager to be given time - season isn't even finished and people are calling for manager's head - Levy gets blamed

Embarrassing

Nah, AVB said as much himself in an interview when he started at Zenit, something about broken promises. It was mutual. I think the board made it difficult for him, the whole Adebayor thing probably got Levys back up.

I don't question that AVB said that but none of us actually know why he said that and whether it holds any truth at all. Like I said to CJJ CJJ it is all speculation and all in all is a moot point it was only included to start discussion, if I changed the wording to "getting rid of AVB" would that make a difference.

Either way, the most embarrassing thing once again is how many people blame Levy...

People wanted AVB sacked - AVB goes (for whatever reason) - Levy gets blamed
People (fans & media etc.) wanted Sherwood to be given a chance - Sherwood gets chance - Levy gets blamed
Levy offers reinforcements in January window - Sherwood refuses - Levy gets blamed
People want manager to be given time - season isn't even finished and people are calling for manager's head - Levy gets blamed

Embarrassing

I would just like to make it clear that I am not blaming Levy, I actually have a fairly positive opinion of him. I think he has made mistakes in the past and probably will in the future but don't we all.

The only thing that I hold him accountable for is something that held us back a few years ago when we didn't strengthen properly in January when we had a real shot at a Champions League place.

I don't question that AVB said that but none of us actually know why he said that and whether it holds any truth at all. Like I said to CJJ CJJ it is all speculation and all in all is a moot point it was only included to start discussion, if I changed the wording to "getting rid of AVB" would that make a difference.

Not really, I just feel that there's no doubt that he would have walked anyway regardless of the situation. Saw it on his face after the Liverpool game.

The biggest mistake was buying a load of players like it was a computer game

We have learnt from it, everyone just need to get over it and move on. Blame is useless, we have taken a game since August and it's gone wrong, but we're still safe and almost guaranteed a top 7 finish and worst case we'll purge the last of the Redknapp crew from the ranks.

I would just like to make it clear that I am not blaming Levy, I actually have a fairly positive opinion of him. I think he has made mistakes in the past and probably will in the future but don't we all.

The only thing that I hold him accountable for is something that held us back a few years ago when we didn't strengthen properly in January when we had a real shot at a Champions League place.

It's not necessarily you, but the umpteen people who vote as such.

If you look at the league, we're probably the most envied for the Chairman we have, for people who know business and football. I can't think of one other team who has a better chairman

Not necessarily saying I want him. However someone of that ilk, 100 odd England caps and numerous major honours, wouldn't go amiss. If he hadn't have played for Woolwich and Chelsea would you take him?

Pushing 34, on big money and a cunt to boot. Never in a million years.
We don't need short term players, especially when this season is a write off and we have the summer to hunt out a left back.

Ben Davies is a much, much better option. Anyway, thats for a different thread.

Players, blame the players.

Not really, I just feel that there's no doubt that he would have walked anyway regardless of the situation. Saw it on his face after the Liverpool game.

The biggest mistake was buying a load of players like it was a computer game

We have learnt from it, everyone just need to get over it and move on. Blame is useless, we have taken a game since August and it's gone wrong, but we're still safe and almost guaranteed a top 7 finish and worst case we'll purge the last of the Redknapp crew from the ranks.

I am not saying that blaming someone is gonna solve anything, this was simply put here to stimulate a debate on where we think the club has gone wrong, if it has gone wrong at all.

I agree with you that despite the Twitter wankfest over our summer transfer window it actually wasn't as good and or clever as a number of people first thought. I feel we would have been far better served just filling the spots that desperately needed filling.

Just wanted to take a second to say that you are the most knowledgeable and well articulated American Spurs fan I have ever come across.

Would you look at anyone in particular to fill the gap, in terms of experienced players, someone like Ashley Cole perhaps?

Appreciate it, mate. I don't think I could stomach Ashley Cole even if on paper it would be a good fit. Some guys I would look at are Gareth Barry, Lescott, Milner, and Evra.

Moutinho went to Monaco mate but I see what you are saying, the only difference being Monaco weren't in the UCL either and only play in front of a small crowd in a fairly poor league. Damaio could have happened if we really wanted it to. Agree on Willian we got fucked over there and Villa was a monumental cock up. I just wonder what would've happened had we signed the players our manager wanted.

I think a DOF only truly works if he and the manager work in perfect tandem rather than as two seperate entities. I have no doubt that Baldini is very good at his job but were the circumstances right?

Yup obviously meant Monaco, fact is they're loaded and players pay extremely low tax.

Pushing 34, on big money and a cunt to boot. Never in a million years.
We don't need short term players, especially when this season is a write off and we have the summer to hunt out a left back.

Ben Davies is a much, much better option. Anyway, thats for a different thread.

Players, blame the players.

I would take Ben Davies all day long and have said as such numerous times on this forum. I agree with what you are saying about Cole but I can't help but feel we need some winners in our squad, some players that have been there and done it. Cole, Puyol or whoever even if they aren't going to play more than 15 games their experience in and around the club could make a difference, just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom