The Blame Game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who shoulders the blame?

• Total voters
It's not necessarily you, but the umpteen people who vote as such.

If you look at the league, we're probably the most envied for the Chairman we have, for people who know business and football. I can't think of one other team who has a better chairman

Completely agree mate.
I think in part that a lot of the negative vibes are due to expectation.
Last 4 seasons, 4th 5th 4th 5th (and arguably we could have done better those seasons)..... add with this season looming and the inevitable drop in form with red nose stepping down, optimism had to be high.
Liverpool (all credit to them) have come out of nowhere, avb leaving, sale of bale, so many new players bedding in, friction from adebeyor, unknown goings on between board and avb..............meltdown!
There's so much behind the scenes we don't know, but what we do know that if a manager is to take an extreme/firm stance with players - he needs the backing of the board.
Maybe avb didn't expect bale to go (and he did win us a lot games), maybe he didn't get the players he was after, maybe he didn't get what he was expecting when he agreed terms to be manager, maybe levy told a few porky pies.
Either way, a manager leaving mid season is never gonna be good especially without a planned replacement. Then add in all the above factors = royally screwed.
Which is a real shame as there was a lot of hope.
We have punched above our weight regards stadium size, finances etc and in recent years it could seem that all manner of unexpected problems chip in to compound things - food poisoning, chelsea winning the comp, Redknapp flirting with England job.
Not to say Levy is blameless, but he couldn't have predicted some of these things and in the grand scheme of things he's done well by us - people forget where we were before he came along.

We've had another setback on the brink of taking the next step.... and it hurts all the more for it

We're on course for our worst league position in about 5 years. In my view it started with Redknapp going full retard and getting himself fired. Then I blame Levy for hiring a 35 year old novice (even if I liked the idea at the time). Then I blame AVB for ripping out our soul, making us a painfully negative side. Then I blame Levy again, for apponting another nobody. So, in sum, Levy 66,6666% to blame (with AVB as his enforcer), Redknapp 33,3333%.
And do you know when that started, after we sold Pavlychenko in January of that season,

We're on course for our worst league position in about 5 years. In my view it started with Redknapp going full retard and getting himself fired. Then I blame Levy for hiring a 35 year old novice (even if I liked the idea at the time). Then I blame AVB for ripping out our soul, making us a painfully negative side. Then I blame Levy again, for apponting another nobody. So, in sum, Levy 66,6666% to blame (with AVB as his enforcer), Redknapp 33,3333%.

I blame Redknapp too.

Metaphorically, Redknapp (bear with me here) is like a stunner you'd meet on a night out, she whispers in your ear the whole night about how she's going to rock your world when she gets back to yours. You think you've finally hit jackpot, and you can't wait for this amazing time you're going to have.

Except in the taxi back to yours, she flirts with some other bloke and say's she'd rather be with him, and she'd sack you off for him. When he turns her down, she decides she wants you after all. You reject her, because you've got too much pride.

In the end, you get left with an unquenched desire, but feel like you now deserve a stunning girl every night out. Except two weekends later, you realise it was a one off and you're back to the fat chicks at 4am.

If you managed to get through that without imagery, well done

I don't blame the players because they are all naive - it's the manager's job to sort them out and to 'manage' them. The mistakes for me suggest that they don't want to win for him. Something odd about just how kamikaze our defence is, and I'm suspicious.

Most of our team seem to be running around with no idea where they are supposed to be, and what they are supposed to be doing.

Most of our team seem to be running around with no idea where they are supposed to be, and what they are supposed to be doing.

Do you not find the "mistakes" our defenders are making are a bit odd for experienced players though? I've never seen the likes of it. It's like they secretly are sabotaging Sherwood.

Do you not find the "mistakes" our defenders are making are a bit odd for experienced players though? I've never seen the likes of it. It's like they secretly are sabotaging Sherwood.
Could well be, we seem to be making all manner of crazy mistakes.
And although the manager is meant to dictate team formations and philosophy........ player intelligence and savy has to come into play.
Regardless of what's been going on, if we'd of had Roy Keane on the pitch, half of these shenanigans wouldn't of happened. He would of kicked the players asses for poor form/ poor decisions/poor effort.
Which leads back to did we make the right signings :(

If they're not putting in the effort to get in the right position they're going to be getting caught out and made to look desperate, whether they are doing it consciously or not is anyones guess.

Danny Rose mistakes cost us being knocked out the FA cup and Europa league. Soldaldo just can't seem to score in the prem. They look like a team that doesn't even train together. A lot of indivual errors, constantly.

If they're not putting in the effort to get in the right position they're going to be getting caught out and made to look desperate, whether they are doing it consciously or not is anyones guess.

Kaboul today wasn't about positioning, and I don't think Vertonghen back against Chelsea was too. These aren't just slips and being caught out, these are through balls to the opponents and hilarious own goals

I mean, the marking is poor - but I don't believe that Kaboul suddenly has an 'ohhhhh nooooo' moment and drag backheels the ball into the net from the 6 yard box. Not buying it. Not after today

Danny Rose mistakes cost us being knocked out the FA cup and Europa league. Soldaldo just can't seem to score in the prem. They look like a team that doesn't even train together. A lot of indivual errors, constantly.

If only the club employed a guy to sort all of that stuff out...

...to teach them play as a team...

..train them..

...coach them...

...manage them...

:sherwoodlol:

iKxCQf7xC3bG9.gif

:baeshock:

Could well be, we seem to be making all manner of crazy mistakes.
And although the manager is meant to dictate team formations and philosophy........ player intelligence and savy has to come into play.
Regardless of what's been going on, if we'd of had Roy Keane on the pitch, half of these shenanigans wouldn't of happened.
Kaboul today wasn't about positioning, and I don't think Vertonghen back against Chelsea was too. These aren't just slips and being caught out, these are through balls to the opponents and hilarious own goals

I mean, the marking is poor - but I don't believe that Kaboul suddenly has an 'ohhhhh nooooo' moment and drag backheels the ball into the net from the 6 yard box. Not buying it. Not after today

Agree, some mistakes are born out of confusion/lack of confidence in team/tactics/position or tactics they are asked to play
So many changes in team personnel and manager. What's needed is a bit of consistency.
Levy now..... for all his pros and cons (far more pro) needs to fine tune / change his philosophy.
It's clear the change now needs to come from the top and that is for the love of god BACK SOMEBODY - we'd have sacked Rodgers by now, but Liverpool stuck by him.
Get a decent manager - accept a possible drop in the league for long term reward and build. Back them in the transfer market, back them in January if we are in a good position to move on - I think this has been a major failing and something we've never done. Yes prices are inflated and it's difficult to get good targets, but we have consistently been poor in January when we could have pushed on.

It's clear the change now needs to come from the top and that is for the love of god BACK SOMEBODY - we'd have sacked Rodgers by now, but Liverpool stuck by him.

I disagree and I resent it when this gets said

Liverpool got thumped a total of zero times last season, drew at City and Chelsea in the first half of the season before going on a run of form that's continued to this day. Their second half of 12/13 had 6-0's,2 x 5-0's and a 4-0.

They had progress, signs of good football, and a manager who sat in the dugout. Liverpool would have sacked Sherwood by now

I disagree and I resent it when this gets said

Liverpool got thumped a total of zero times last season, drew at City and Chelsea in the first half of the season before going on a run of form that's continued to this day. Their second half of 12/13 had 6-0's,2 x 5-0's and a 4-0.

They had progress, signs of good football, and a manager who sat in the dugout. Liverpool would have sacked Sherwood by now

They have found a system that suits the players and stuck with it. They also have a talisman up front, someone who can turn a game or win a game on his own. Something we did have, but we sold as we all know. Collectively, their players aren't better than ours I would say, but they are far more settled and confident in a system which suits them.

For this we have to blame the management, right from the top and down to Sherwood. But even then, he must have a game plan of some kind which goes to complete shit within minutes because the players start games off in a complete daze. It is one big clusterfuck which isn't going to get much better any time soon I fear...

They have found a system that suits the players and stuck with it. They also have a talisman up front, someone who can turn a game or win a game on his own. Something we did have, but we sold as we all know. Collectively, their players aren't better than ours I would say, but they are far more settled and confident in a system which suits them.

For this we have to blame the management, right from the top and down to Sherwood. But even then, he must have a game plan of some kind which goes to complete shit within minutes because the players start games off in a complete daze. It is one big clusterfuck which isn't going to get much better any time soon I fear...

Everton and Liverpool got it right.

Employ a dynamic manage with a proven gameplan and a desire for attractive football, with experience in the PL.

Or having previously managed Swansea or whatever..

#LaudrupIn?? lol

But seriously, I think we need to look at PL experience next, heart says LVG, but head says that we'd be better off with another Redknapp type. I'd sooner have Muelensteen (for the record, I think he's been undervalued this season) than Sherwood

Back
Top Bottom