The Football Connoisseurs Vs Bournemouth Sat 15th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

On Porro, somehow his defensive stats were supposed to be on par with Royal?

This isn't true is it? I mean I don't know what Emerson's defensive stats are, but I know Porro had awful defensive stats. Someone posted a bunch of graphs showing his defensive contributions when we signed him, and it wasn't good reading. Was always very clear he's an ultra offensive minded fullback with big deficiencies defensively.

I could have misremembered but I seem to think his defensive stats were poo-poohed and we were told that we were getting a decent defender.
It’s still early and he’s adapting to a tougher league but his games alongside Tanganga and Sanchez (today) indicate otherwise.

I think you're right.

I specifically said in the build up to signing him that he isn't THAT good defensively from whenever I had seen him and was bombarded with people who said he was fine, I was even laughed at for suggesting that Emerson was better defensively. I even said that I feel Porro would have to have minimum 8/10 performances in a Spurs shirt each week to prevent the fans being on his back so early on because of his defensive work.

I also think that we should focus on what he can do as opposed to what he can't do and try and get the best out of him as an offensive wing back. Hopefully under a better and more attack minded coach, there will be less need to worry too much about his overall defensive ability because he'll be causing so many problems going forward.

I specifically said in the build up to signing him that he isn't THAT good defensively from whenever I had seen him and was bombarded with people who said he was fine, I was even laughed at for suggesting that Emerson was better defensively. I even said that I feel Porro would have to have minimum 8/10 performances in a Spurs shirt each week to prevent the fans being on his back so early on because of his defensive work.
I posted several times that I did not want another system RWB brought in to satisfy the system of a coach that clearly was not going to be here next season.
This was a (panic?) signing for Conté and not helped by the ‘Back Wiggy Brigade’ and supporters who think that you can find great players on bargain trees in January despite obvious evidence to the contrary.
My first question to any head coach applicant is likely to be ‘What are your plans for two defensive liabilities at wing back given that you’re very unlikely to be able to loan them out?’
Obviously, no one knows to what degree paying off the (massive) obligation here hinders next season’s budget.

Agreed.

You also just know keeping Stellini et al had something to do with saving a few quid in severance payouts, I don't even need any evidence for this i just know how this ownership works, Same as when they sacked Mourinho on the cusp of a final to save a few quid.

It always boils down to the same thing with Levy, ALWAYS

I am pleased that Levy didn't appoint a manager before the end of the season.

At that time, with just ten games to go what would be the benefit?

Besides, we wouldn't want to see two managers fired in the same season?

:levyeyes:

Sanchez and Porro’s names need to be sung proudly next week. I noticed that poor bastard Sanchez was crying after he got subbed off thanks to Stellini’s garbage tactical decisions. And then after the game Porro deleted all of his social media accounts. We have one job when we’re in that stadium - and that is to give the players confidence no matter what

It’s one thing venting about a player on the forum or on social media, I always do it. But when you let a player know directly what you think in a negative way, that is disgraceful. I can’t stand watching the likes of Sanchez and Winks over the years but I’d never even think of directly abusing them when I’m in the stadium or on social media

What a shitshow. Incredible how a sunny afternoon ended up being a toxic mess

Last edited:
Fair point on Kane but I still think there‘s a few bob to be had this summer. if not we make him staythen next summer when nobody wants him we have to give him a fat contract to see out his golden years.
After the way he played today I'd take the money whilst someone is willing to pay....

I posted several times that I did not want another system RWB brought in to satisfy the system of a coach that clearly was not going to be here next season.
This was a (panic?) signing for Conté and not helped by the ‘Back Wiggy Brigade’ and supporters who think that you can find great players on bargain trees in January despite obvious evidence to the contrary.
My first question to any head coach applicant is likely to be ‘What are your plans for two defensive liabilities at wing back given that you’re very unlikely to be able to loan them out?’
Obviously, no one knows to what degree paying off the (massive) obligation here hinders next season’s budget.

Tbh, I think he can play RB in a team that aims to play good football and get forward.

If we're pinning teams back and keeping the ball, defensively he shouldn't be troubled too much in the same way Walker wasn't during Pochs peak. Still times where he was caught out defensively but that's always going to be the case for these sort of players.

Similar to Trent in that aspect. He hasn't got worst defensively, it's just Liverpool aren't that team anymore that frighten teams and play that heavy metal football so to speak. So it's a lot more apparent. "You're only good when youre winning"

Tbh, I think he can play RB in a team that aims to play good football and get forward.

If we're pinning teams back and keeping the ball, defensively he shouldn't be troubled too much in the same way Walker wasn't during Pochs peak. Still times where he was caught out defensively but that's always going to be the case for these sort of players.

Similar to Trent in that aspect. He hasn't got worst defensively, it's just Liverpool aren't that team anymore that frighten teams and play that heavy metal football so to speak. So it's a lot more apparent. "You're only good when youre winning"
Exactly this. The current tactics no matter what fucking Stellini says, naturally makes the players drop back and defend more during the game.

Zinchenko, Cancelo, Trent etc. all are woeful defensively but play well in their respective back 4s. All thanks to the positive tactics

Back
Top Bottom