The history of Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This my scarf that the May 1976 team signed for me. Spurs played Toronto Metro-Croatia in Toronto in a friendly. When I bought my ticket at the booth, I explained that I had taken a bus from Kingston (Ontario), and could I meet the team after the match. The accented ticket seller asked, "Jamaica?" "Sure, he said." Believe it or not, Eusebio was on the Toronto team. Spurs won 1-0. My scarf went into the dressing room, got autographed, and I ate a buffet dinner with the two teams. I was too awestruck to talk, but I did talk to Mike Stead right after the match as we walked to the dressing rooms. Steve Perryman's is at the end of the scarf.

Good morning THFC historian THFC historian , and what a wonderful day it is,what with yesterday's result and the weather.
In the many books on our clubs history I have read,one statement always springs to mind,can't remember what one it was but I recall reading that very briefly in the early part of our existence we hand the nickname of "The Saints" due to many of the founders being pupils of St John's Scottish Presbyterian academy,which was a school on the high road.
Can you confirm or deny this?
Many thanks and have a great Sunday.

Good morning THFC historian THFC historian , and what a wonderful day it is,what with yesterday's result and the weather.
In the many books on our clubs history I have read,one statement always springs to mind,can't remember what one it was but I recall reading that very briefly in the early part of our existence we hand the nickname of "The Saints" due to many of the founders being pupils of St John's Scottish Presbyterian academy,which was a school on the high road.
Can you confirm or deny this?
Many thanks and have a great Sunday.
Hi Sean

We were known as Hotspur FC until 1884 when Tottenham Hotspur was introduced.

You're right that several of the young boys attended St John's as well as Tottenham grammar. I've not come across any such material which states that was an early nickname for us but would love to read a source if you have one?

Hi Sean

You're right that several of the young boys attended St John's as well as Tottenham grammar. I've not come across any such material which states that was an early nickname for us but would love to read a source if you have one?
Cheers for the reply.
I think it was a short book called "forward the spurs" by Brian Belton. I have it on my Kindle and are rereading it to confirm it was in here or not. Cheers

Hi Sean

Hi again,
Luckily it's very near the beginning of the book.

"Forward the Spurs: The Early Years of Tottenham Hotspur" by Brian Belton -

"Most of the first Hotspurs attended the St John's Middle Class School - a local Scottish Presbyterian institution run by a Mr Cameron (a name that would figure powerfully in the team’s future) in the High Road or Tottenham Grammar School, which would be subsumed into the Somerset Comprehensive School on White Hart Lane. That primal team were to be colloquially known as the 'Northumberland Pups' or the 'Saints' (after the school). Their local adversaries were the 'High Road Cads', sons of shopkeepers on the main street, and 'Barkers' Bulldogs', from a rival school apparently run by a Mr ‘Doggy’ Barker. The games between these antagonists saw no quarter asked for or given; played in a time when football might to current aficionados seem more of a combat sport than the sort of prissy ballet many games seem to be today"

Start reading this book for free: Forward the Spurs: The Early Years of Tottenham Hotspur

I have never seen this quoted elsewhere,so very interested.
Though that hasn't stopped me telling this story when ever a west ham fan accuses us of nicking other teams songs,and uses southampton as an example...
Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom