The Impact of Covid on Spurs & Football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My beef is with player wages. Transfers that don't reflect the quality of a player and players not beeing held accountable. Accountable for not winning. Not appearing because they are unfit or injured or just running to the media and creating a bad atmosphere when they feel wrong done by. I am on my tits end with football.

For me it’s VAR. It’s completely ruined watching the game live at the stadium. Takes all the spontaneity out of celebrating goals because you don’t know if they’ll be given or not. There’s always a doubt even it’s clear cut.

I have a problem with them getting full wages when they are injured.
After 2 months injury the wages should be drastically reduced. Perhaps pay 30% of normal wages
That is what the bonus system is about. Ours are said to be the best in providing Bonuses as a proportion of wages. Normally players receive money on appearances amongst other things and that disappears when they are injured. I do not know how much Kane for example lost in February when he did not play compared to say December when he played every match but it was what Levy considered appropriate when his contract was negotiated. The players will receive considerably less if we end up 8th as compared to last season's 4th.

That is what the bonus system is about. Ours are said to be the best in providing Bonuses as a proportion of wages. Normally players receive money on appearances amongst other things and that disappears when they are injured. I do not know how much Kane for example lost in February when he did not play compared to say December when he played every match but it was what Levy considered appropriate when his contract was negotiated. The players will receive considerably less if we end up 8th as compared to last season's 4th.
I understand the bonus system. But set wages must also be down to 30% if my model would work

I think my interest in football has faded quite a bit.

When I was younger I’d watch every game I could, regardless of who was playing. Used to love Football Italia. Now I won’t even bother watching England unless it’s in the Euros or World Cup, and I certainly don’t watch any club games not featuring Spurs.

I don’t mind going to watch Bristol City play every now and then, but that’s more about the day out with friends.
I totally agree with the Football Italia, at the time Gazza went out there, think I knew more about Italian football than I did about the English game, as that was the time the majority of the best players were playing in Italy.
Italia 90 was the best World Cup I can remember, I wanted us to sign Paul Maldini so badly.

I totally agree with the Football Italia, at the time Gazza went out there, think I knew more about Italian football than I did about the English game, as that was the time the majority of the best players were playing in Italy.
Italia 90 was the best World Cup I can remember, I wanted us to sign Paul Maldini so badly.
Purely for his playing ability.
Nothing to do with his looks, of course.

Sugar with his views. No love lost with the PFA here. Worth a listen.

Of course a former chairman is going to slag the players off for being greedy but he does make a good point. It's sad that we are in this situation in the first place.

The players are overpaid but only have a limited window of making money before they are out on their arse. The clubs on the other hand have shown time and time again how greedy they can be.

I doubt there is any real answer because we live in uncharted territory. If I were to try and solve the impasse I would appoint a governing body across ALL divisions that were given actual powers. The mock trials in the case of Villa and Sheffield Wednesday are a joke. Avoiding FFP by selling the stadium to yourself without actually needing proof of money changing hands other than IOU on a post it note is a farce.

I'd then instigate a fit and readiness test that a club had to prove it had enough income to survive for a year paying full staff and plans for another year after that as a mitigation. Making sure they kept their income to wages ratio under 50%.

I wouldn't cap players salaries within the wages:income but I sure would put a cap on agents fees. If the agents then wanted to send the best players abroad then so fucking what. Plenty of players would love to step up from the lower leagues on any wage number you stamped.

I'd also give the supporters trust more teeth. Be it through MD/CEO elections they really need more of a say. You can bet anything you like that if a chairman were elected they would move heaven and earth to please the fans. To not only avoid a Bury/Bolton but a Newcastle too. It's pathetic that Sky can move any game they deem fit a couple months out but the supporters are charged money to be a mascot.

Thinking the fans matter is just old way of thinking. I miss the days where fans had a say

Yeh, those good ol days when fans would just telex Alan Sugar and he'd buy us whatever players we asked for.....

Them woz those dayz.

What do you think will happen if everyone boycotts the club?

By that I mean everyone, not one person buying a ticket for games etc
Obviously with these amazing owners I keep hearing we have, they will make sure we are ok.

Or we could go out of business.

Nobody turns up, we have to sell players, slip down the leagues, Levy decides he'll get more for the land than the club, sells to a developer.
No chance. As I keep being told, levy loves the club, not the millions he earns. :levylol:

But you just said that Levy will look after the club and we'll be ok.

I do wish you'd make up your mind about Levy instead of flip flopping all over the place.
I am just on a high from you admitting the owners are just in it for the profit. That will do for me

Back
Top Bottom