The Mighty Spurs - Dnipro of Ramos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But we didnt create anything for him, he created for Soldado though. I doubt he would have missed.

Is like to give a moderate big-up to the fullbacks last night - I thought they did pretty well. Non existence as an attacking outlet but fairly solid. Loved the anger and it was really cranked up by the ridiculous antics of their players. The ref was a friend last night particularly for soldado - not seen an elbow like that at the lane since fashanu assaulted mabbutt

First home game I've been to since Palace, atmosphere was a world of difference. The 1882 lot carried the first half, felt they and the Defoe send off lifted the crowd for the second half.

Thought Adebayor and Eriksen had a great second half (why can't we start games well?). Lloris kept us in it at points and Sandro got a good run out. Bloke behind us kept on at Townsend, but I thought he was trying to make it happen (even in the first half) and put some decent crosses in. Thought the comeback was all about the players (rather than the coach), they seemed bothered after th

Was in the north stand last night with some mates, would definitely be up for the Park Lane against Benfica if that's a goer.

It took the sending off to get fire in our bellies, I just wish we would start games like that, like we did under Redknapp and basically how Liverpool have been starting games this season with that attacking arrogance.

youtube links and vids from 1882 please. especially the 23rd minute.
Quality dedication to Tom and a great result. Still on a high from it today.

So fucking Spursy to go 0-2 on agg.

I LOVE YOU ERIKSEN :eriksenlip::eriksenserious::eriksenlol:

What a brilliant night that was. Had to say I've got a cold this morning on the work conference call- no voice after last nights shenanigans!!
Mate wanted to sit in West stand so we had a lot of work to do. So many moaners even last night. Until we were winning of course.

So many moaners even last night. Until we were winning of course.

I understand a collective sigh where something doesn't quite come off, but some of it is absolutely ridiculous. Seems to be so much tension around the ground at home games. Can't help the players at all - hopefully they enjoyed it being a bit louder last night.

Had a bloke behind me in the shelf at the Palace game calling Eriksen all kinds of names. Then he scored. He shut up after that.

I understand a collective sigh where something doesn't quite come off, but some of it is absolutely ridiculous. Seems to be so much tension around the ground at home games. Can't help the players at all - hopefully they enjoyed it being a bit louder last night.

Had a bloke behind me in the shelf at the Palace game calling Eriksen all kinds of names. Then he scored. He shut up after that.

Scroll back through this thread, you'll see pretty much the same thing.

Nice to see EVERYONE working hard for a change. Standout performances for me were Dembelle and Sandro both have a great understanding of each others position and cover each other very well. They do so much dirty work, pressing opposition, breaking up play, keep our play ticking over it gets missed while the press talk about Ade's two goals.
Another great performance for me was from Naughton, especially as he was up against Konoplyanka, he had him in his pocket all night, only once did he get past him which was in the first half, only for him to lose out to a covering Dembelle.
The other was Vertonghen, he looked back to his CB perfomances of last year.
We still have so much to do in our attacking thrid, Ade, Soldado and Eriksen for the most part are still not on the same wave length but there at least were signs of small improvements mainly in their movement if not the final pass.
The quality is there and if we show up with some spirt the quality will win out in the end.

Last edited:
It's taken a while. There've been ups and downs this season, but the home leg against Juande Ramos' Dnipro was something that harks back to a different era of Tottenham Hotspur. European football, a victory snatched from seemingly ignominious defeat, controversy over theatrics and shocking refereeing. Quick, fluid counterattacking; young players showing that their mettle is made of metal and the 1882 crowd encouraging a dispirited team. A turnaround from an aggregate score of 2-0 down to 3-2 victors was a fitting send off for two very different presences who will both be missed at the Lane.

Yes. Finally. We've got our Tottenham back.

The football of the first half wasn't where the excitement was to be had – that was found in the stands, in block 35, where 22 minutes of uninterrupted singing culminated with a single minute's unbroken applause for Tom Van Haaren; a departed soul, a fallen brother in arms. It was a minute where many of us considered the importance of football in the grander scale of things. We were a congregation gathered for mass and we remembered a friend who followed as we do. As one, we hoped that he was watching from a better place.

Half time broke and the whistle blew on the Spurs career of a legend. Our leading European goalscorer, Jermain Defoe, was serenaded by White Hart Lane for the final time. This was an emotional goodbye from us for a man who has been revelation and stagnation, frustration and force of nature. While Defoe reminded us of what he offered on the pitch at his best, the highlight of the half-time entertainment was to be found in his final comments about our rivals. Just as the fans had sung “F*** 'em all” numerous times during the match, he took a moment to relish scoring against Woolwich and make a pointed comment about his continued success against West Ham.

The second half began and before we'd caught our breath, they had scored. Ramos had come back to haunt us, as many former Tottenham staff seem to do. As Dnipro celebrated, block 35 didn't react. We just continued singing the slow verses of “Oh When the Spurs”, giving greater voice to our belief that it was written. This was our trophy and we would do it the hard way. The Tottenham Hotspur way. Our belief never wavered and we dared not falter. We simply sang louder, waiting for the inevitable response on the pitch.

That response was quicker in coming than we suspected. Roberto Soldado made a run and struck the ball sweetly into the back of the net. A raised flag – and we were reminded again that the Lord taketh away. But the crowd had a taste of blood and wanted more – our singing redoubled and we were rewarded with a free kick. Eriksen lined up to take it. And the net rippled. Our belief was paying off already.

Our European future is dependent on the next few kicks in this match – ironic then that it's a header that makes all the difference. As Eriksen lines up another free kick, there is a scuffle in which Vertonghen takes a headbutt to the chin and goes down (after a momentary delay). A red card, a goal from Adebayor and our belief is growing ever-stronger. All that remains is the icing on the cake – and Adebayor provides from a superb long ball from Fryers, one of our youngsters who shone through on a glory, glory night.

Danny Blanchflower once said “The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.” This author's feeling is that he wasn't just talking about the opposition; he may also have been speaking about the Spurs fans. We are difficult to please, we may have ideas above our station; the truth is that we have always prided one thing above victory and that is attacking, free-flowing football played by men with heart and pride to be in our shirt.

All that remains is to say goodbye to two true Spurs; good luck, Jermain and RIP Tom Van Haaren.

Back
Top Bottom