The Morning After The Night Before

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The most worrying thing is, (financially speaking) they don't need it!!

They'll fill the ground with day trippers and tourists... Until all the die hard, long suffering LOYAL fans have either been priced out, or pissed off...

The atmosphere will suffer, but it won't matter, 'cos they'll still do the pre-match 'faux atmos' generating light show and pre-recorded Kenneth Bramnahh 'rallying cry' To Dare... is to DO! So that everyone can film it, and say "I was there"....

But 'there' for what?

There were two types of fan last night....

Those of us trudging out of the ground last night in the pissing rain/sleet, wondering why we bother, and whether this would be the last Champions League home game we ever witness...

...and those skipping merrily out, taking selfies, safe in the knowledge they'll just day trip it to The Emirates or The Etihad or St. James' next season to watch another Champions League 'home game'!

There's a big difference.... and sadly, it's getting bigger!
Don't disagree with the sentiment, but don't care for the conflation of non-local, non-ST holders as fairweather glory hunters. Surely no one that's ever turned up for Spurs could be accused of such. I assure you that anyone who would just as soon go to the Scumerites or Oil Citeh already has.

Fair play to those who stump up for a ST and hump out to the stadium weekly, but some of us spend more than the cost of a ST to take in a single Category B/C match. If anyone has a right to get upset, it'd be the poor bastard that saved up years to see Spurs play at NWHL on a "Glory, Glory Night" and was rewarded with that pathetic effort. And there were many poor bastards such as that last night, I assure you.

Fair play to you. ENIC don't deserve supporters like this. They don't deserve to have this great club in their clutches.

Respect to every fan still dedicating time & money to this shitshow. There's zero passion, identity, or sense of progress whatsoever ... our hardcore fans deserve major props for turning up every week despite the absolutely stinking football.

Well actually it's late evening but I got up late.
I've been a supporter for 50 plus years and have enjoyed / endured highs and lows, like most of us.
But this past week has had a really negative effect on me. Obviously I get annoyed / upset when we lose, but this is different somehow.

I’ve been a supporter for as long as you and to be honest with you, Mrs P, this doesn’t rank close to the worst let-downs I’ve witnessed.
I suspect it’s a little different for Jol+ supporters who have seen Spurs ascendant (on the rise) for much of that time.

I’ve been a supporter for as long as you and to be honest with you, Mrs P, this doesn’t rank close to the worst let-downs I’ve witnessed.
I suspect it’s a little different for Jol+ supporters who have seen Spurs ascendant (on the rise) for much of that time.
You're probably right, think that rose coloured spectacles come into play when thinking about the past. Just best to let those times stay there, otherwise I would feel even worse! :)

remember back in the relegation season (we were 19/20 yrs old) me and mates went to most home games and many away, as we got near christmas that season I lost love for the team, most weeks I'd say "that's me finished I'm not coming next week" following week phone would ring "pick you up at 12" and we would go again
this season (I only watch on TV) there are games were i turn the channel over I just can't watch the same game over & over again
think its an age thing but I've lost love for the team, Still hurts when we lose and bashes in my head until the next game

I've been a supporter for 50 plus years and have enjoyed / endured highs and lows, like most of us.
But this past week has had a really negative effect on me. Obviously I get annoyed / upset when we lose, but this is different somehow.
After the Sheff Utd game. the overriding emotion was sheer anger and luckily enough I had something else to do when we played Wolves.
Then last night, we didn't turn up yet again. Where's the hunger, where's the passion? We just surrendered without so much as a whimper.
I can take losing but not like that. There's no leadership on or off the pitch, it's absolutely pathetic.
The responsibility on how things have imploded has to be shared among the Board, the coaching staff and the players.
I honestly don't know how to fix it, but it's going to need a miracle.
So despondent, it's untrue, but I'll be there for Forest, and all the the rest of the home games until the end of the season. I'll probably renew for next year too.
Just wanted to vent really to people who understand where I'm coming from.
TTID (God help me!)
I think it’s been brewing for a while now , changing managers every 18 months gives us hope but the reality is that we are in a toxic cycle & each rotation the toxicity gets worse. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so apathetic towards the club, a new manager will come & nothing will really change in the short to medium term , frustrations will build etc

It’s happened too many times & it’s all I expect

After the Sheff Utd game. the overriding emotion was sheer anger and luckily enough I had something else to do when we played Wolves.
Then last night, we didn't turn up yet again. Where's the hunger, where's the passion? We just surrendered without so much as a whimper.
I can take losing but not like that. There's no leadership on or off the pitch, it's absolutely pathetic.
The responsibility on how things have imploded has to be shared among the Board, the coaching staff and the players.
So despondent, it's untrue, but I'll be there for Forest, and all the the rest of the home games until the end of the season. I'll probably renew for next year too.
TTID (God help me!)

Excellent post which 100% summarises how I feel.

I’m not even mad anymore. Just totally despondent and apathetic. Like I’ve given up.

Which is a lot worse.

:memeokay:

TTID (God help me!)
I couldn’t have put it any better.
Although it’s been a tough season, I was still excited for the CL knockout 2nd leg. The atmosphere in the ground before kick off was top notch, I can’t remember seeing so many people have pre match drinks in the ground.
The crowd were right up for supporting the team but there was just no response and after 20 mins the same old feeling was there.
Boring passionless football, that excitement turned to ‘hear we go again’ which then just turned to anger.

Standing in the long queue outside WHL station in the driving snow and rain just leaves you feeling, why do we bother. The players/manager/Levy don’t give a fuck about the fans and don’t deserve the dedication many put into the club.

The daft thing is, I’m still looking forward to Forest, I guess it will never change.🤷🏻‍♂️

It's no accident that the same thing has happened now under 4 coaches.

AVB, Poch, Jose, Conte.

All of them have said the same thing - they do not support the player recruitment policy and don't feel backed by the board when support is needed.

We have constantly tried to build this team around Kane and Son; always saying - next year is the big one.

Well, now it is time to move on. It's time to let Kane leave and look to the future.

Even if the players don’t want to play for the manager anymore , surely they want to play for the fans?
It isn’t cheap going to a game, or are they just pampered millionaires these days, without getting all political I’m pretty sure a Premier-league footballer doesn’t need to worry about energy bills rising do they, it annoys me as some people might literally be able to afford 1 game a year , I just wish the players actually looked like they gave a shit!
If we go to a game and we lose , that’s football , however if we lose because we don’t put the effort in then there are no excuses!

It's no accident that the same thing has happened now under 4 coaches.

AVB, Poch, Jose, Conte.

All of them have said the same thing - they do not support the player recruitment policy and don't feel backed by the board when support is needed.

We have constantly tried to build this team around Kane and Son; always saying - next year is the big one.

Well, now it is time to move on. It's time to let Kane leave and look to the future.
Conte though has surely been backed enough so that we can trouble a goalie during 270 minutes of football?
The players just don’t give a shit , they get paid regardless same as the manager.
Money has ruined the game, sure when you are younger IE dele you get the hunger for the game , however when your sat in your millionaires pad with a Bentley on the drive at 19 it must be hard to not let the fame and fortune go to your head!
No coincidence sons form has started to go to shit at the same time he has started modelling Calvin’s?
I will always support spurs , however I gave up my Season ticket as I would rather spend that money else where .

The club has been rotting for years.
I actually think the frequency with which we fail to show up has been increasing since the tail end of Poch.
Conte should already have been sacked, so lets park that bus for a moment.
Since probably late 2018, we have been in decline and, save for the 2nd half of last season, we have been repeatedly bottling big games against our rivals. And that's started to flow into games against teams that aren't even our rival (Villa, Sheff Utd, Newcastle etc)

Conte though has surely been backed enough so that we can trouble a goalie during 270 minutes of football?
The players just don’t give a shit , they get paid regardless same as the manager.
Money has ruined the game, sure when you are younger IE dele you get the hunger for the game , however when your sat in your millionaires pad with a Bentley on the drive at 19 it must be hard to not let the fame and fortune go to your head!
No coincidence sons form has started to go to shit at the same time he has started modelling Calvin’s?
I will always support spurs , however I gave up my Season ticket as I would rather spend that money else where .
Players at other clubs get paid more than the majority of our lot . It’s the whole thing that is broken , top to bottom , lethargy breeds lethargy , frustrations of managers passes onto players. The lack of direction and plan of the board spreads across the whole football club . It makes you wonder what players are thinking when they are asked to stand next to a jeep or wear an F1 jersey & read about go karts or “ exciting times” regarding projects.

Morale amongst our players is at rock bottom and that is due to the ownership more than anything else. Many of them have seen multiple managers, some of them the best in the business, unsupported and ignored by the owners. Worse still Levy has stuck two fingers up at those managers, such as refusing to give Poch the rebuild he so desperately needed, or substituting approaches for good top players with lesser, cheaper options. Danny Rose got it right 6 years ago with his google search dig at Levy, and got fined 2 weeks wages. The way Levy treats people, both managers and players alike, was always going to come home to roost with the club one day. It has now.
To add insult to injury our transfer methods are embarrassing in the extreme; whole windows in the pursuit of a solitary player who wants the move. What sort of a message does this tight fisted, nonsensical approach send to the players?
Looks to me now that finally the players have downed tools, I'm surprised it's taken so long.

TTID (God help me!)
I feel for you, Mrs P.

This lot just go onto the pitch to play football, not to win. So they lose when they're up against anyone with a bit of desire.
I don't include either Romero or Skipp in this criticism - the only two players who seem to want to win. Porro currently fits into this tiny group too, but he's not getting enough game time.

Morale amongst our players is at rock bottom and that is due to the ownership more than anything else. Many of them have seen multiple managers, some of them the best in the business, unsupported and ignored by the owners. Worse still Levy has stuck two fingers up at those managers, such as refusing to give Poch the rebuild he so desperately needed, or substituting approaches for good top players with lesser, cheaper options. Danny Rose got it right 6 years ago with his google search dig at Levy, and got fined 2 weeks wages. The way Levy treats people, both managers and players alike, was always going to come home to roost with the club one day. It has now.
To add insult to injury our transfer methods are embarrassing in the extreme; whole windows in the pursuit of a solitary player who wants the move. What sort of a message does this tight fisted, nonsensical approach send to the players?
Looks to me now that finally the players have downed tools, I'm surprised it's taken so long.
I don't think it's a morale issue (they're probably very happy as a bunch of super rich individuals), I think it's complacency - a lack of desire.

For years I've been using Spurs as a way to get some "me time"
My week is usually taken up almost entirely by work and childcare. Sometimes I just want some time where I'm not in demand, no one is dependant on me, I can listen to some music (train) and hopefully enjoy something for 90 minutes)
but I haven't been since the scum game and can't really see me going again this season tbh. Why should I make the effort when the players and coach don't?
As for next season, why should I spend £1200+ when it's going to be spread on the team as thinly as possible again by the owners.

I don't think it's a morale issue (they're probably very happy as a bunch of super rich individuals), I think it's complacency - a lack of desire.
I'm not sure, Harry has already gone on record yesterday to say that he wants a trophy and top 4 is not one. For me that's a direct dig at the ethos of Levy, ie. top 4 comes before everything else.
It's not all about money you know, those players are already well off, but their playing careers are pretty short periods of their lives, and they want something to show for it, winners medals to show their kids and later grandkids. Everyone wants to be a winner.
The same thing has happened (downing tools) with every manager in recent times, that's too much of a coincidence when the only connecting thread throughout is actually our owners. Most of us have come to that inevitable conclusion, some of us a long time ago. They are basically playing week in week out for an entertainment business that is not interested one jot in footballing success on the pitch, or the welfare of the players beyond rewarding them financially.

I'm not sure, Harry has already gone on record yesterday to say that he wants a trophy and top 4 is not one. For me that's a direct dig at the ethos of Levy, ie. top 4 comes before everything else.
It's not all about money you know, those players are already well off, but their playing careers are pretty short periods of their lives, and they want something to show for it, winners medals to show their kids and later grandkids. Everyone wants to be a winner.
The same thing has happened (downing tools) with every manager in recent times, that's too much of a coincidence when the only connecting thread throughout is actually our owners. Most of us have come to that inevitable conclusion, some of us a long time ago. They are basically playing week in week out for an entertainment business that is not interested one jot in footballing success on the pitch, or the welfare of the players beyond rewarding them financially.
It may be an imprisonable offence to say this, but Kane is one of the worst offenders, imo.

Back
Top Bottom