The Newcastle Yo-Yos vs. Wembley Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spurs win and John Thomas John Thomas is absolutely nowhere to be seen.

Colour me surprised.
I'd just like to congratulate the boys on a thoroughly professional performance thus far. One more please so I can relax .

Really pleased for Ben Davies. Should really give his confidence a huge boost

Absolutely love that away shirt. Looks really traditional. Proper Spurs.
Sure.
Stop embarrising yourself

Souey and Pards keep going on about Shelvey's sending off but they'd have tired anyway. We started rustily but had begun to pick it up by the 35 min mark. We ran possession more or less throughout, that would have had its effect as the game wore on, just might have taken it out of us a bit more. As it was, at 0-2 and a man up we could take it a bit easy.

Something that I haven't heard/seen mentioned was the influence that Son had on that 20 mins when we won the match. Having him and Dele testing them had them chasing shadows. You see it clearly in the first goal, there's a run into the 6 yd box first by Son which causes certain panic in the Newcassel defence, they miss his run and he's in behind them, the ball then goes back, Sonny checks back and they half-regroup but then miss Dele's run from another area.

Great stuff, thoroughly enjoyed watching that, even the slowish first half to be honest

Curious as to where this idea of Newcastle as a Yo-Yo club has come from? We're hardly Norwich, West Brom etc. 2 relegations in 8 seasons and nothing before that in decades. We've been pretty awful, for the majority of Ashley's ownership, no doubt, but Yo-Yo club? not for me.

Think you'll beat us, gap in class is too large and Tottenham fan Mike Ashley hasn't released enough funds to close it at all.

Looking forward to seeing how Jacob Murphy, Mikel Merino and Florian Lejeune do in the top flight.

Long term I'm not expecting anything better than c14th, not without substantial investment. We're still relying on Paul Dummett at left back, still don't have proper cover for Shelvey in the centre and still relying on Gayle replicating his efficacy from the Championship or Mitrovic delivering on his potential up front.

It's strange for me to want Spurs to do well. Used to hate them in my early years (for being the destination of some of my favourite players), and a few unlikeable Spurs fans at Uni, but now, you play good football, have likeable players and a likeable manager. It's similar with Liverpool. Used to hate them, but not so much any more.

Reckon you'll end up missing out on the title but you won't be far off.

Edit- Oh and thanks for taking Sissoko off our hands.

Up early, couple of hours in the garden, beer o'clock (12:30, we're an hour later than you) any minute. Steak and asparragus and a bottle of red round the corner...

Fuck, I love the first game of the season. Every year I think I've fallen a little more out of love with football but there's still a real magic to the day, a child-like excitement. FA Cup final day used to be similar as a kid (but different due to Spurs not usually being involved. A lot of was down to the fact that in the 70s there was virtually no live football on, just MOTD or the regional Sunday equivalent on ITV, Match of the Week in East Anglia, The Big Match in London...) but that buzz has died off over the years with the game now available wall-to-wall 24/7.

Opening day is a more cerebral high, the feeling you daren't mention but keep just below the surface that anything is possible. People had that same feeling in August 1960, and look how that played out, maybe just maybe it might be like that this season. Year in, year out, the disappointment of the previous year did nothing to temper the thrill of opening day.

And yes I've got it again, I'm getting a little tingle running up and down my spine writing this, hairs standing up on my forearms, the whole nine yards. Maybe just maybe...

Second hand ticking round to 12:30 now. COME ON YOU SPURS!

YIDS!

Back
Top Bottom