The poll from hell.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which managerial candidate from this shortlist?

• Potter

Votes: 26 19.0%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • Rodgers

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Enrique

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • They're all shit can we just sack Levy?

Votes: 53 38.7%
  • Fuck this shit bring on FC Hotspur of Tottenham

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Phillip Schofield

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From that list, Ange.

Id probably still go all out to try and get Nagelsmann if I was Levy. Work with him to get that director of football he wants and go from there but he won't.

So we're basically stuck at trying to get a coach in that is likeable, will want us to play the right way, can get the best out the squad as well as look to sign players who will suit his style of high pressing football.

And that's Postecoglu all over. He may not be the man long term, but I have no doubt he can bring stability to the club and bridge a gap between where we are at now and actually becoming a viable option for future up and coming managers to want to come to instead of rejecting us for being a somewhat poisoned chalice.

From that list, Ange.

Id probably still go all out to try and get Nagelsmann if I was Levy. Work with him to get that director of football he wants and go from there but he won't.

So we're basically stuck at trying to get a coach in that is likeable, will want us to play the right way, can get the best out the squad as well as look to sign players who will suit his style of high pressing football.

And that's Postecoglu all over. He may not be the man long term, but I have no doubt he can bring stability to the club and bridge a gap between where we are at now and actually becoming a viable option for future up and coming managers to want to come to instead of rejecting us for being a somewhat poisoned chalice.

I'm glad you have no doubt about a bloke whose top level of management experience is the Scottish League (equivalent to league 1 for the most part).

You should do this for a living.

Unfortunately one is coming to us…..😢
Ryan Mason Reaction GIF by MolaTV

I'm glad you have no doubt about a bloke whose top level of management experience is the Scottish League (equivalent to league 1 for the most part).

You should do this for a living.
Yea, I don't believe managing Celtic is not that hard, almost every manager that goes their succeed because its either them or Rangers every year and the competition in the SPL is quite shit.

Yea, I don't believe managing Celtic is not that hard, almost every manager that goes their succeed because its either them or Rangers every year and the competition in the SPL is quite shit.

Two different managers have gone invincible in Scotland in recent years and broken the 100+ point mark, one of them is on this list, in fact he had a season which was far more impressive than Ange's..

But he's a joke and the worst option whereas Ange is exciting, why? Because Ange hasn't had a chance to fall on his face in the Premier League yet. Rodgers DOMINATED Scotland, he looked like Pep. Celtic were amazing.

Again, Ange might make that step up, but anyone acting like it wouldn't be a big risk on someone very unqualified at this level is kidding themselves & everyone else.

I omitted the stuff that was clickbait.

It's not clear quite what happened with Poch. But the other four were very publicly on the doorstep of the role before Levy walked away from the table on Conte in a huff (note: mirroring what happened with Naglesmann), Fonseca and Paratici had their failed summit on planning for the team, the fans revolted against Gattuso due to his off-color comments, and then Nuno.

A ton of bullshit gets thrown around. But that's a saga we know quite a bit about.
Like I said, the Poch shit was definitely all bullshit/wishful thinking from fans. It's a product of the whole BS narrative that Spurs have a "special connection" with Poch...who just rucked up at the blue scum for a pile of cash.

Conte was the pipe dream, but Levy spoke with him and clearly was out off by his demands for spending and control (which everyone with a brain expected anyway). Fonseca was considered, but his talks with Paratici and Levy didn't go well as you say. Talks with Gattuso did go well, but it didn't go over with fans and ENIC punted because they get enough PR as it is. Nuno was selected because he was available and it was getting close to last call. He was given a contract that specifically made him easy to sack if a better option came along.

Nothing you said was false - but at each step discussions with all the candidates were overblown. The press pitches every phone call as a contract offer, and thus every time a candidate moves on, or is moved on from, "negotiations have fallen through".

If you have a chance to hire a great manager with imminent qualifications, that's one thing. When you're talking about people like De Boer, Fonseca, Gattuso, Slot, Potter, etc. there's no reason why you wouldn't interview several options and take your pick as possible like you would any other position. We're not talking about Fergie, Pep, Mourinho (prime) here.

Like I said, the Poch shit was definitely all bullshit/wishful thinking from fans. It's a product of the whole BS narrative that Spurs have a "special connection" with Poch...who just rucked up at the blue scum for a pile of cash.
I'd agree with you if it didn't cause so many clear issues on the PSG side.

It may be that Poch was just trying to use Spurs to entrench his position there, but the situation was real enough that it spurred action on their end.

Jesus H fucking Christ...

Brendan cunting Rodgers or Ange Postecoglu? Rather have neither. Can't we just have the job on a rotation basis kind of like they do on Have I Got News For You?

Rodgers is a prize fucking bellend and Postecoglu makes Nuno look like Pep. Fucking pub league chancer.

How have we sunk so low?

Celtic is such a weird job. Similar to Bayern, except you're not actually managing a top club and you don't have the CL to really compete in.

Only a couple matches a year matter, so 90% of the time you're just keeping the squad focused enough not to fuck up (probably a good skill for a Spurs manager to have given how often we throw away points we shouldn't throw away). If you lose the title to Rangers, you're getting sacked. If you win the title you might not get sacked.

From that list, Ange.

Sorry to diss the Scottish league but ffs put Donald Duck in charge of Celtic and he’d win the league! Yes Postecoglu has done well at his level but the English premier league is brutal, he rocked up at Celtic with no back room staff just himself, which perhaps is not a bad thing Levy will be delighted……he will need advice guidance Mr Mason sir over to you AGAIN and so the cycle begins….

Two different managers have gone invincible in Scotland in recent years and broken the 100+ point mark, one of them is on this list, in fact he had a season which was far more impressive than Ange's..

But he's a joke and the worst option whereas Ange is exciting, why? Because Ange hasn't had a chance to fall on his face in the Premier League yet. Rodgers DOMINATED Scotland, he looked like Pep. Celtic were amazing.

Again, Ange might make that step up, but anyone acting like it wouldn't be a big risk on someone very unqualified at this level is kidding themselves & everyone else.

It's a big risk but it's no bigger a risk than Arse took in employing untested at any level Arteta. Postman Ange's team is trained to play like Pep's City, the style of football is good to watch and if we are not going to seriously challenge for any trophies under ENIC then all we can hope for is some entertaining football.

Yes it's easy to manage Celtic, but there is a big difference in how let's say a Martin O Neil or Neil Lennon had their Celtic teams playing compared to how postman Ange demands his teams play.

Concentrate on the style and not the success

Rodgers took over Celtic at their utmost dominant with Rangers just promoted to a Scottish Premier League and won with a team that was 10x better than anything else in that league. What he achieved wasn't far more impressive at all.

Ange took over when Celtic were in their worst spot in 50+ years. They finished 25 points behind Rangers and even went a season trophyless for the first time in a decade before Ange rocked up and proceeded to win a league and Cup double in his debut season, which was alot more of a competitive league than when Rodgers was involved and now followed that up with a potential treble.

Again, it's not about winning in the Scottish League. It's about the coaching. Neil Lennon can win a Scottish League. He's proven it. But his teams weren't particularly coached well. Just had a better team. Rodgers teams were coached better, but fucking Pep? Tell me you didn't watch Celtic without telling me you didn't watch Celtic. His teams weren't anything special footballing wise. He just had a team full of Moussa Dembeles, Nchams and Edouards who were just far superior to anything the league had, which during his best season there had fucking Aberdeen as the challengers to his title.

It's fine not to want Ange. But to go on like Rodgers Celtic were better all because of an honours list is just completely lazy and practically wrong on all levels. There's a reason most Celtic fans prefer watching their team under Ange.

Why are people passionately against Rodgers but willing to defend Ange?

Rodgers might be a cunt but he's done plenty of respectable achievements in football, way more so than Ange. Winning the FA cup with Leicester and almost getting CL football in the same season is a seriously impressive feat and much of his downfall there is down to shit ownership. His football isn't too bad to watch, either.

Ange's 57 and has only ever managed in the Australian, Japanese and Scottish leagues, in the latter two he managed the strongest sides in the league who are used to dominance. The jump is fucking insane from those leagues to being expected to battle it out with some of the best sides in the world for top 4.

People can say CVs aren't everything, but some of our players hold themselves a little too high. They never respected Nuno because of his and the likes of Romero aren't going to see the man as have any serious pedigree.

I don't even want Rodgers, but it's a bit irrational to me to act like he's radioactive but then turn around and say Ange is the man. The level of difference will be like plobbing the greatest go-kart racer in Luton into F1, we can't say it won't be possible for him to do well but the level of expectation is going to be too much. If we aren't near the top 4 near Xmas, fans and players alike are going to quickly question why the club hired him given his credentials. What's he done that sets him so far apart from Rodgers?

Back
Top Bottom