The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is probably going to be a controversial opinion but I personally don't think the performance against Brighton was us bottling it. The performance seemed to me more complacent and low energy rather than nervy. And particularly after the Villa game which would have easily had more pressure on us to win and more likely to bottle from it.

We have bottled many games over the past few seasons, I just don't think this was one of them and confirmation bias is setting in.

That's not to say that the performance was acceptable or that we won't bottle in in the future. But a lot of people are acting like we're definitely going to fail which I feel is worth balancing, even though I understand the emotional response many people are having.

I think at the start it was down to complacency/genuine fatigue, probably. But then as we get deeper in to the game (especially last 10-15) that's when some maturity and steel is needed. If it's one of those where a win doesn't seem like it's happening you at least hold on to a valuable point. Instead it's Brighton applying the pressure, our defence forgets to do their jobs and we lose.

Whether it's 'bottling' or not, I don't know. But there's a mentality issue there where when it's crunch time and we're not able to run away with a game, the team didn't dig deep.

I’ve got more chance of hooking up with Jennifer Lawrence than us beating Liverpool..
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Positives - our superior goal difference. Could honestly be the decider. If we win all our games which obviously includes Woolwich, but lose 1 game against Liverpool which is a certainty, and Woolwich win all their remaining games apart from our game, we get 4th on GD. Point being we are still in the driving seat here. Let’s hope United do something Saturday

Positives - our superior goal difference. Could honestly be the decider. If we win all our games which obviously includes Woolwich, but lose 1 game against Liverpool which is a certainty, and Woolwich win all their remaining games apart from our game, we get 4th on GD. Point being we are still in the driving seat here. Let’s hope United do something Saturday
us pipping them to 4th on goal difference would be the sweetest kick in the guts ever. Utterly beautiful. Not sure my heart will take it though

I think at the start it was down to complacency/genuine fatigue, probably. But then as we get deeper in to the game (especially last 10-15) that's when some maturity and steel is needed. If it's one of those where a win doesn't seem like it's happening you at least hold on to a valuable point. Instead it's Brighton applying the pressure, our defence forgets to do their jobs and we lose.

Whether it's 'bottling' or not, I don't know. But there's a mentality issue there where when it's crunch time and we're not able to run away with a game, the team didn't dig deep.
Tired after ten mins. Wow. Early second half the changes should have been made. No tactical change was done and the subs were too late, especially bergwyn. Nothing really changed except when winks came on I knew we'd lose. I don't know what it was but where was the motivation. You are right and Conte said it too that if you can't win, then don't lose but our defence was so poor throughout the game. Had to be switched on and just clear it into row z so late. Brentford away is a tougher game. Absolute must win as they all are but this one and all from now on are. Hopefully gooners and United draw...

I've woken up in a bad mood after last night's debacle.

The only people I blame are our dopey players. They've been given chance after chance after chance to get top 4 and we should never be in this position.

The performance from so called professional players on Saturday against Brighton was an absolute disgrace and I hope they're hurting this morning.

They get paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to do a dream job and there's no excuse for the crap they served up on Saturday (and countless other times).

Zero point in trying to predict the next 6 games for both sides and next to no chance either of us are winning 5 out of that renaming number. Neither side is good enough for that level of confidence and way too long to go.

I only ask that we show up in each game. Anything less, given the energy we expend as fans will be dereliction of duty on the part of the players.

Conte has to try his damndest to make the difference that he was brought to the club to make.

Last edited:
I've woken up in a bad mood after last night's debacle.

The only people I blame are our dopey players. They've been given chance after chance after chance to get top 4 and we should never be in this position.

The performance from so called professional players on Saturday against Brighton was an absolute disgrace and I hope they're hurting this morning.

They get paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to do a dream job and there's no excuse for the crap they served up on Saturday (and countless other times).
Totally agree, cant blame other teams for winning, they have as much right to win as we do, where we finish is all down to our players, cant blame another team for winning.

Really says how bad us and the 2 below is have been this season not just 4th was there for the taking but 3rd was look at the teams we have lost to at home this season. In a way spurs fans will look back on it and think what a chance and massive waste this was if we don't get 4th in so many ways financially also.

We should only be thinking about brentford game on Saturday. Concentrate on ourselves and get our game right. We can do nothing about what others do. I think we'll bounce back on Saturday. Us fans should try not to panic.

Tough game Saturday but it’s actually a good thing Brentford have won 3 on the bounce. They are due a bad result. Very difficult to win 3 or 4 in a row for any team at this level unless you are Liverpool or City.

Man Utd produced one of the worse performances I can remember from them over a 30 year period, surely they will show some fight on Saturday. Those 1230 games are usually lack lustre anyway. I never understand why but they always seem to lack energy.

I don’t see why we can’t get anything at anfield . we bet the league leaders and cl semi finalists twice… never say never and all that

Back
Top Bottom