The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Woolwich, 13 games to play. Their good form will clash with other clubs' form, but just because they have 8 wins in 10 doesn't mean they will win 8 of their next 10.. a few tricky games for them coming up not going their way could easily give them a slump to drag themselves towards the big pressure games leading in to top 4.

These 5 I refuse to accept they will pick up all the points their recent form
(A) Tottenham
(A) Chelsea
(H) Liverpool
(H) United
(A) West Ham

These 4 home games look like bankers, but could see Leicester or Brighton causing them issues.
(H) Leicester
(H) Brighton
(H) Leeds
(H) Everton

There's at least a couple of banana skins for them in the remaining other 4 away fixtures.
(A) Villa
(A) Palace
(A) Southampton
(A) Newcastle

If you want to believe Woolwich will get 75 or so points from their remaining fixtures, that's up to you.
I don't think they will maintain it.
I agree. I also don’t doubt if they somehow lose 9 of their last 13, we would lose 10

Who cares what they do? We're nowhere near consistent enough to get close. You can't see them doing well in all those fixtures? What about us? We lose every other fucking week. Yeah keep believing or w/e but there's zero reason to have any kind of actual hope or expectation that we can make it. We'll smash a couple more sides who gives us space on the break, and lose a few more games where teams close us down and sit deeper. That's us. That's Spurs.
We care what the competition around us does - obviously.

As for Spurs..

I'm not going to believe we aren't capable of winning all of these.
We often have reasonably strong finishes to seasons, but could see us getting 14+ pts from a possible 18.
(H) Woolwich
(H) West Ham
(H) Newcastle
(H) Brighton
(H) Leicester
(H) Burnley

A lot of our inconsistency has been on the road, 6-2-6. Can see us losing 2 of these for sure, but getting 9-10 points is doable.
(A) Brighton
(A) Villa
(A) Brentford
(A) Liverpool
(A) Norwich

Getting 64-68 points would feel like par for course for us this season.
For that to be enough is a long shot - but not impossible.
For other teams around us to shit the bed is also very possible.

Just enjoy the nearly men time of Pochettino because that is the best it will ever get at this club. A forever losers mentality deep rooted in the club for so long, I can’t see it ever leaving. We will never make a CL Final ever again. We will never win a trophy and i highly doubt we will ever see our club in the CL again now Newcastle have entered the mix. Supporting Spurs is literally an exhausting never ending barrage of disappointments season in, season out. I am so fucking bored of it.
You're probably right. But the really sad thing is it doesn’t have to be this way.

We have the history. We have the prestige. We have the money. We have the location. And most importantly, we have the fanbase to achieve so,so much more.

All we're lacking is owners that actually give a shit about football

We care what the competition around us does - obviously.

As for Spurs..

I'm not going to believe we aren't capable of winning all of these.
We often have reasonably strong finishes to seasons, but could see us getting 14+ pts from a possible 18.

Our competition isn't Woolwich now. It is Wolves and West Ham for EL spots.

'I'm not going to believe what my eyes are telling me'.

Look at the remaining fixtures for the clubs contesting top 4.
You think its impossible ? Get a grip, I don't give up that easily.
You pal are as deluded as most of our squad thinking they are playing at top four level. It's you that needs to get a fucking grip and wake the fuck up! Tell you what meet up and the next home game and I will bang on what ever wager you want and I will match it that we don't make top 4.

68g05u.jpg

Just enjoy the nearly men time of Pochettino because that is the best it will ever get at this club. A forever losers mentality deep rooted in the club for so long, I can’t see it ever leaving. We will never make a CL Final ever again. We will never win a trophy and i highly doubt we will ever see our club in the CL again now Newcastle have entered the mix. Supporting Spurs is literally an exhausting never ending barrage of disappointments season in, season out. I am so fucking bored of it.
This statement has pretty much saved me typing it up so thanks mate. 💯 accurate

Our competition isn't Woolwich now. It is Wolves and West Ham for EL spots.

'I'm not going to believe what my eyes are telling me'.

We just have to go out to win every game and see where it takes us.

I'm not the sort of fan that leaves before the full time whistle.

You pal are as deluded as most of our squad thinking they are playing at top four level. It's you that needs to get a fucking grip and wake the fuck up! Tell you what meet up and the next home game and I will bang on what ever wager you want and I will match it that we don't make top 4.

What odds will you give me?

Absolutely spot on. This current crop of players will win absolutely nothing. That losers culture is now so deep-rooted it feels like we've just accepted it now.

Let's face it, even the cup exits to the minnows now just feel completely predictable.

Absolutely spot on. This current crop of players will win absolutely nothing. That losers culture is now so deep-rooted it feels like we've just accepted it now.
Those who still support ENIC after 21 years have definitely accepted it. They're as much the problem as ENIC themselves if we're honest about it.

You're probably right. But the really sad thing is it doesn’t have to be this way.

We have the history. We have the prestige. We have the money. We have the location. And most importantly, we have the fanbase to achieve so,so much more.

All we're lacking is owners that actually give a shit about football
Please explain exactly how a ‘fanbase’ somehow directly translates to achievement on the pitch.

Even that is arguable — in the international game, Alex Morgan has a greater following than Spurs (which was the reason we signed her on loan).

As for history, pre-EPL history is pretty meaningless at this point, Villa had more FA cup success than anyone. They haven’t won anything in forever. They missed the EPL explosion and the opportunities that came with it.
Chelsea had no history before 2003. It simply didn’t matter.

Last edited:
fair chance Chelsea get 9 points deducted based on the last week and how quickly this has escalated. I simply don’t see a quick sale so short term pain is inevitable

Please explain exactly how a ‘fanbase’ somehow directly translates to achievement on the pitch.

Even that is arguable — in the international game, Alex Morgan has a greater following than Spurs (which was the reason we signed her on loan).

As for history, pre-EPL history is pretty meaningless at this point, Villa had more FA cup success than anyone. They haven’t won anything in forever. They missed the EPL explosion and the opportunities that came with it.
Chelsea had no history before 2003. It simply didn’t matter.
History generates a ton of match day revenue. The people paying the ridiculous hospitality pricing (standard tickets too) are products of that historic standing (pre ENIC). The ambition and glory have been whittled away under that bald locust but that’s the link between fanbase to revenue to onpitch

History generates a ton of match day revenue. The people paying the ridiculous hospitality pricing (standard tickets too) are products of that historic standing (pre ENIC). The ambition and glory have been whittled away under that bald locust but that’s the link between fanbase to revenue to onpitch
and we know where we stand with the others teams in the EPL in terms of revenue. About 200 million pounds behind no-history Man City in 20/21. So, again, tell me where winning the FA Cup in 1951 has gotten us?

and we know where we stand with the others teams in the EPL in terms of revenue. About 200 million pounds behind no-history Man City in 20/21. So, again, tell me where winning the FA Cup in 1951 has gotten us?
We won the league in 51 ( not FA cup) , Rowe's push and run was revolutionary and outstanding. . It was our glory which under these Enic cunts they have sucked us dry .
Blimey get your history right sunshine it's all we got .

We won the league in 51 ( not FA cup) , Rowe's push and run was revolutionary and outstanding. . It was our glory which under these Enic cunts they have sucked us dry .
Blimey get your history right sunshine it's all we got .
Sorry. My bad on the history. Lazy of me.

It doesn’t change the fact that our fanbase and history contribute to us being exactly 5th in terms of revenue.
5th in terms of revenue…. Probably buys you 5th.
It is what it is.

In a much better position from a revenue perspective than others eg Villa, Everton (arguably peers from the previous big 6) and comparable to Liverpool, Utd and Woolwich in matchday revenue.

City are a completely outlier like Putin’s lot and the Geordie Jihadi’s

I share your frustration, but to write off the impact of our history is clueless. It has an impact. The handicap is the fact that our owners have invested zero in the last decade

In a much better position from a revenue perspective than others eg Villa, Everton (arguably peers from the previous big 6) and comparable to Liverpool, Utd and Woolwich in matchday revenue.

City are a completely outlier like Putin’s lot and the Geordie Jihadi’s

I share your frustration, but to write off the impact of our history is clueless. It has an impact. The handicap is the fact that our owners have invested zero in the last decade
Liverpool’s revenue is about 25% more than ours or over 100 million a year. The difference is significant.
I don’t write off our history — it contributes to us having the 5th highest revenue in the EPL. Without our history, it would be lower.

I ‘ve spent the last couple of days hearing from Liverpool fans as to how greedy their owners are.
( Salah contract renewal). That from a club who won the EPL and UCL in the last couple of years. The only owners immune to the criticism would appear to be those that subsidize their clubs by 100 million per.

That’s not a defense of ENIC. They piss me off royally — because they run the club poorly in terms of converting that revenue to on-field success due to poor recruiting, development etc. I just accept that, like nearly all the other owners, these guys are running a business and they’re not going to bring us up to the revenue levels required to compete with the top 4 out of their own pocket. I doubt that new owners would either.

It would be pretty stupid to ask someone running a business to take on huge losses for the pleasure of their customers (us mugs) even if they can afford to.

Football isn’t a vanity project— owners will do the math as to what sustained on-field success will cost and what it is worth in terms of branding and for a future sale.

Back
Top Bottom