The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

8 of our 15 best points totals have been under ENIC since 2009. Half our best league totals in just 13 years.

Before 2009 there are no seasons in the previous 23 years and only one season in the previous 42 years that feature.

Tottenham have not been this good or this consistent since the 1960s and that is down to ENIC and their leadership of the club. Sorry if that upsets a vocal minority but I want to talk facts.
The other thing with this it doesnt tell the story of a season. I mean 2012/13 under AVB when we finished 5th and were totally dependent on Bale is above 84/5 when we finished 3rd and challenged for the title until about the last 6 games, or 86/7 when we a superb side to watch and finished 4th.

No European football at all would be deverstating in my opinion. The bull shit about players get more rest and focus on the league is utter bollocks I am a fan and want to see my team as much as I can.
Not sure i agree. Our performances are dreadful, Zagreb, Mura, Vitesse, Antwerp, Lask. Even a lot of the wins are just scratchy efforts on poor pitches. I'd probably take Europa but i'd rather finish 8th than end up in that conference thing again.

Its a completely different game now. League placings were much more fluid season on season then compared to now. Teams like Villa and Leeds won the league and almost went down the following season. You just wouldnt get that now. Now any of the bigger clubs are pretty much locked in to top 8 unless you have a total shocker. Its why Woolwich had 4 months on the fringes of a relegation fight last season but still finished 8th. Why we finished 6th in a shit season under AVB/Sherwood, so i'm not sure any comparison stands up. Best way to judge it is are we competitive and is the football good and this is the 3rd season running its a resounding no.
You’re so close to getting it !! You just need to complète your analysis. Success correlates with wealth and the (supposedly) wonderful days in the 80s we’re a time with FAR LESS wealth inequality. Then something extremely significant happened in the early 90s and then again multiple times since 2003: the creation of the Premier League and the introduction of owners motivated not by financial prudence but by sports washing.

It’s like so many of you only care about banter, constantly hoping that rival clubs will give you props or respect (clue: they won’t). Have you not been following the Chelsea news lately? Have you not internalised the lessons?

Chelsea completely skewed what was possible for the past 18 years.
Man City completely skewed what was possible for the past decade.
Manchester United have been far far wealthier for the past 3 decades.

Finishing any higher than 4th is only possible because of extreme mismanagement and incompetence on behalf of those three clubs COMBINED with unusually savvy or lucky dealings on our behalf.

Then throw in Woolwich and Liverpool who played 3 champions league finals in the first 6 years of ENIC ownership and have been significantly wealthier for nearly the whole premier league era…

Both Liverpool and Woolwich have been
- more prestigious
-wealthier
-more successful
Competitors for Spurs.

In the very early days of ENIC we had the Woolwich invincibles and Liverpool winning a Champions League.

I am not hating on Spurs or unambitious. I am stating FACTS about our situation which have a significant impact on our ability to break into that top 5. Every year we want to finish above 6th we rely on another club squandering a huge wealth OR reputational advantage… OR BOTH.

Facts.

To win a domestic trophy we have to rely on ALL FIVE clubs above us squandering a significant wealth or reputational advantage (or BOTH).

And to break that you need luck OR time.

That’s the reality.

We have had a decent amount of luck but sustained gains will now involve time and MORE luck.

The strategy to reduce the wealth gaps has been successful (you cannot argue with that) but in a world of Man City and Newcastle and Man Utd, we will not be able to ever compete because they are not playing the same game as us.

To pretend that there is a magic strategy that doesn’t involve us becoming richer or luckier or involve a lot of patience is DELUSIONAL THINKING.

John Thomas John Thomas so i don’t have to reply to you separately

You’re so close to getting it !! You just need to complète your analysis. Success correlates with wealth and the (supposedly) wonderful days in the 80s we’re a time with FAR LESS wealth inequality. Then something extremely significant happened in the early 90s and then again multiple times since 2003: the creation of the Premier League and the introduction of owners motivated not by financial prudence but by sports washing.

It’s like so many of you only care about banter, constantly hoping that rival clubs will give you props or respect (clue: they won’t). Have you not been following the Chelsea news lately? Have you not internalised the lessons?

Finishing any higher than 4th is only possible because of extreme mismanagement and incompetence on behalf of those three clubs COMBINED with unusually savvy or lucky dealings on our behalf.

Then throw in Woolwich and Liverpool who played 3 champions league finals in the first 6 years of ENIC ownership and have been significantly wealthier for nearly the whole premier league era…

- more prestigious
-wealthier
-more successful
Competitors for Spurs.

In the very early days of ENIC we had the Woolwich invincibles and Liverpool winning a Champions League.

I am not hating on Spurs or unambitious. I am stating FACTS about our situation which have a significant impact on our ability to break into that top 5. Every year we want to finish above 6th we rely on another club squandering a huge wealth OR reputational advantage… OR BOTH.

Facts.

To win a domestic trophy we have to rely on ALL FIVE clubs above us squandering a significant wealth or reputational advantage (or BOTH).

That’s the reality.

We have had a decent amount of luck but sustained gains will now involve time and MORE luck.

The strategy to reduce the wealth gaps has been successful (you cannot argue with that) but in a world of Man City and Newcastle and Man Utd, we will not be able to ever compete because they are not playing the same game as us.

To pretend that there is a magic strategy that doesn’t involve us becoming richer or luckier or involve a lot of patience is DELUSIONAL THINKING.

I posted elsewhere about how many times the double has been won since the premier league began.

Money talks.

- more prestigious
-wealthier
-more successful
Competitors for Spurs.

Facts.

That’s the reality.

Congratulations on making the boards most patronising, pompous post. You talk about wealth but i'm not saying mix it with City or Chelsea. Is anyone? I'll give you the Liverpool example. They knew they had a good manager and they backed him when he needed it. We knew we had a good manager and took him for granted, took the piss out of him and let the football side rot and the last 3 years is a direct result of that. We are now back where we were 21 years ago, an average to poor side with 2 good players who keep our league placing semi respectable.

Woolwich have this wrapped up now. That’ll be 9 wins and 1 draw from their last 11 league games.

Our lot have lost 5 of the last 8 league games and have gone 17 games across all competitions since Christmas without registering back to back wins.

Then something extremely significant happened in the early 90s and then again multiple times since 2003: the creation of the Premier League and the introduction of owners motivated not by financial prudence but by sports washing.

That’s the reality.

While ours were motivated by greed and exploiting footballs global popularity....

Eb80wIzUYAAi6jr

Is that really any better?

Is that really something to be proud of?

People talking about mixing it with the best sides when we're currently facing 2 seasons in a row behind West Ham, a very reasonable possibility of finishing behind Wolves, and all with basically zero European football since the season began. And generally just dreadful performances in the cups. All whilst spunking huge amounts on managers, all so they can basically continually tell us how badly we're run and how much work has to be done, until they're sacked and repeat cycle.

People talking about mixing it with the best sides when we're currently facing 2 seasons in a row behind West Ham, a very reasonable possibility of finishing behind Wolves, and all with basically zero European football since the season began. And generally just dreadful performances in the cups. All whilst spunking huge amounts on managers, all so they can basically continually tell us how badly we're run and how much work has to be done, until they're sacked and repeat cycle.

You just know not getting CL football will be the excuse not to spend in the summer. Spurs is basically ground hog day and has been for 2-3 decades Poch tenure aside.

Back
Top Bottom