The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why the fuck did we have to bottle it so bad against ManU.

We played well and they lacked clear cut chances - but we just gave their wold-class striker SOOOOO much room while our attackers were fucked up all the chances that were put on plate for them.

But well, basically Spurs in a nutshell for you...

With this extra 3 points our chances would be very significantly better. Even after miserably bottling it against Soton and Wolves. Agghh. Frustrating.

No fucking way we'll make it to top 4 now.
Only chance would be to win all games but Pool away, but we all know this will not happen.

From past 13 games Woolwich have won 10, lost 2 and drawn 1. So lost only 8 points from 39... 2,38 points per game.
Our best run was 9 unbeaten with 6 wins and 3 draws. Losing 6 points from 27 meaning 2,33 ppg - 4 games shorter, lower ppg and well and truly forgotten, while Scum run is ongoing.
Just for comparison in last 13 our return is 5 losses 1 draw and 7 wins - 1,7 ppg.
Their losses - Liverpool and ManCity; our losses Chelsea, ManC, WOLVES, SOUTHAMPTON, BURNLEY.
Sorry but the form and run is not even comparable.

Everything is comparable.
And when you do compare things, there's not a lot in it.. 3 points and a home game against them.
I saw a few interesting bit when looking at the fixtures played / to play laid out like this.
Up to people to make their own conclusions of course.

totars.jpg

Edit: Here's another one in order of league positions last season.
spurarsleagueorder.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And when you do compare things, there's not a lot in it.. 3 points and a home game against them.
I saw a few interesting bit when looking at the fixtures played / to play laid out like this.

totars.jpg

spurarsleagueorder.jpg

Did you create that spreadsheet ?

Did you create that spreadsheet ?

Yeh, one of many over the years.

I used to put more effort in to them - now I just chuck things together quickly.

4th.jpg

Here's another crude one given we're in the Top 4 thread.

And another comparing 6 teams.
Really for my own reference so might not be very pleasant to look at on here. But if you squint, you might get some information from it (bar chart on the right is average points per season).

big6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I used to put more effort in to them - now I just chuck things together quickly.

4th.jpg

Really for my own reference so might not be very pleasant to look at on here. But if you squint, you might get some information from it (bar chart on the right is average points per season).

big6.jpg

Respect bro.

👍

totars.jpg

spurarsleagueorder.jpg
Great post, awesome charts, dope stats, agree- mad respect.

We have to get 21 points in 8 matches.
Woolwich will get around 20-21 points in 9 matches, including losing to Chelsea, 2 points against United and WH.

Then, we 'll decide in NLD who gets top 4.

We have to get 21 points in 8 matches.
Woolwich will get around 20-21 points in 9 matches, including losing to Chelsea, 2 points against United and WH.

Then, we 'll decide in NLD who gets top 4.
That 20-21 total is not a given. They are two injuries away from Holden and Elneny at centre back in which case they be lucky to get 9 points

In our favour

we are creating chances and scoring goals, winning a few by a margin.
They don't seem to be.

I also would not want their run in if chasing top four.

They should win 3 of 4 home games, United aside.

But they have 6 away games; Us, Palace, Southampton, Chelsea, West Ham, Newcastle.

How many of them are Woolwich clear favourites for?

It wouldn't surprise me if they lost any number of those.

Worrying about how other teams do shouldn’t even be on our minds, the only thing we have to do now is beat what’s put in front of us. And at the end of the season we will see where we are at.

That 20-21 total is not a given. They are two injuries away from Holden and Elneny at centre back in which case they be lucky to get 9 points

How often are a teams 2 CB's out for the last 10 games of a season? When they have no other cups to play in?

You say they're 2 injuries away from that but we could lose any one of our 3 CB's and be in trouble. We could lose any one of our CM's and be in trouble. We could lose Kane and/or Son and be in trouble.
Our squad is paper thin which is why the last 4 games have seen the exact same starting 11.

How often are a teams 2 CB's out for the last 10 games of a season? When they have no other cups to play in?

You say they're 2 injuries away from that but we could lose any one of our 3 CB's and be in trouble. We could lose any one of our CM's and be in trouble. We could lose Kane and/or Son and be in trouble.
Our squad is paper thin which is why the last 4 games have seen the exact same starting 11.
Agree.

strangely enough me gooner mate is more nervous than myself... even with their form, even with our stuttering form, even with them having pole position... frankly id rather us be chasing, relying on other results, than "just having to win out" to claim it... some might say that's defeatist... i guess i still think we've not got the resilience and mental fortitude to hold others off.... and id rather have the underdog title...

I do worry that West Ham will not give a shit about their game against Woolwich and just roll over. The easiest games during this stretch of the season are always the ones where the opponent have nothing to play for. Top 4 is gone for West Ham and they won’t be relegated. EL is all they have now. It’s already happening to Brighton and Wolves now that their European ambition has fizzled out.

Moyes will happily throw the Woolwich game if it means they rest well for the EL and we don’t reach the CL.
I don't see any prem managers "throwing" any game against any team. I have a lot of respect for Moyes.

4th.jpg

big6.jpg
Are you some kind of mathematical savant?

Are you some kind of mathematical savant?

Certainly not.

Though my job is to create payroll software and have written hundreds of reports to support said software.

One of my clients at a previous job was actually Tottenham (plus a few other football clubs).
Spurs actually had to approach us asking for an extra digit to be allowed in the salary input field.

This weekend is massive, wish we were up first to be honest. United will beat Leicester then it’s pressure on again. Hope we turn up.
This is the million dollar question isn't it will spurs turn up.
Hopefully the team can put a run of results together and take fourth place but yet they are just as likely to blow up and lose a few.
We will have to watch this space but I would imagine the others may trip up as well at least we hope.

Back
Top Bottom