The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Every time I feel I have given up on top 4, these fuckers pull me back in.

Well it is just simple - we play in every 2nd game. And between them we shit ourselves.

We are total shit and cook ourselves 2 goals vs Wolves...
... then we beat ManCity 2:3
After that we are totally limp and get hammered by Burnley..
...then we smash Leeds 4:0 with 3 goals scored by 35 min played..
Next game we get eliminated by Champo team in FA cup ending any kind of hope for trophy..
... then we smash aside Everton 5:0..
Following game we play almost well, but Son and Kane are totally off it in attack + defense does not bother to close down Ronaldo and we get beaten 2:3 by ManUre
.. then we get good 2:0 away win against Seagulls...

Red card in 6th minute and 4:0 loss coming your way against Wet Spam.

But do not worry - we will get a win in next one against newly-rich-Oilcastle.

With such absolute inconsistent form there is no point of even dreaming about top 4. First the team+manager have to show some decisiveness and guts. Not to be like a flag high in a mast - flapping to whichever side the wind happens to blow from.

Well it is just simple - we play in every 2nd game. And between them we shit ourselves.

We are total shit and cook ourselves 2 goals vs Wolves...
... then we beat ManCity 2:3
After that we are totally limp and get hammered by Burnley..
...then we smash Leeds 4:0 with 3 goals scored by 35 min played..
Next game we get eliminated by Champo team in FA cup ending any kind of hope for trophy..
... then we smash aside Everton 5:0..
Following game we play almost well, but Son and Kane are totally off it in attack + defense does not bother to close down Ronaldo and we get beaten 2:3 by ManUre
.. then we get good 2:0 away win against Seagulls...

Red card in 6th minute and 4:0 loss coming your way against Wet Spam.

But do not worry - we will get a win in next one against newly-rich-Oilcastle.

With such absolute inconsistent form there is no point of even dreaming about top 4. First the team+manager have to show some decisiveness and guts. Not to be like a flag high in a mast - flapping to whichever side the wind happens to blow from.

I think there's more to it than the WLWLWLWLW when looking at the league alone (given this is a top 4 thread).

Nuno era:
Started with 3 wins, fell off a cliff losing 5 of the next 7, sacked after 10 games. We all know that part.

Conte era:
Started off with 9 league games unbeaten, 6 wins 3 draws. Good feelings. Title challenge form.

Then Chelsea happened.

Knocked us out the semi finals which although not league related, it knocked out confidence massively. They also stopped our unbeaten league run and made us feel beatable again.
We put in terrible terrible performances in all of those games. Like so often is the case with Spurs, significantly timed bad defeats can de rail us massively.
We responded by losing 4 of our next 5 games, squeezing in an unexpected City win where Kane appeared to show them 'what they could have signed'.

Now we have pulled things back together a bit winning 3 of our last 4 - with only that defeat at Old Trafford setting us back.

I actually think we are in reasonable league form now. 4 wins from our last 6 is 2 points per game, which is comfortably top 4 form.

Burnley away is Burnley away. Our last 4 league visits there W1 D1 L2. Scored 3, Conceded 4.
It was losing at home to Southampton & Wolves where we really fucked up, the 2 league games which directly followed the Chelsea defeat.

Now Conte has had 18 games in charge.
W10 D3 L5. Points 33 (1.833 per game). Over 38 games that rounds to 70 points - just about top 4 form.
Had we won those 2 shit home defeats against Soton & Wolves, we would currently be on 82 points worth of form, 3 points above Woolwich having played 1 more game - but the sample data is so small at the moment that 2 games fucked up massively swing the figures.

We're doing alright overall. I fully expect to close this season out with more than 1.5 pts per game, starting with a win against West Ham!

Ladies, don´t do this to yourselfs!

What is it with our WLWLWLWLWL form this season that makes you believe we´re suddenly about to be going on a winning streak?

See my post above.

We are talking about top 4 here.
Our league form is as follows;

Nuno
WWW LLL WW LL

Conte
D WWW D W D WW LLL W L WW L W

There is no WLWL over the whole season, let alone WLWLWLWLWLWL

form.jpg

Leicester are going to have a shit season win a cup and be in europe again. I know this would piss a few people off but I wish we would have won this europa conference cup. Just because we coukd have been the first club to win it

See my post above.

We are talking about top 4 here.
Our league form is as follows;

Nuno
WWW LLL WW LL

Conte
D WWW D W D WW LLL W L WW L W

There is no WLWL over the whole season, let alone WLWLWLWLWLWL

form.jpg
I see that from our 14 latest games under Conte we have at most won 2 games in a row, or if you want 3 in a row from our last 18 games.

And now we are going to mustard 6-7 games in a row?

Of course not impossible, but highly unlikely

I see that from our 14 latest games under Conte we have at most won 2 games in a row, or if you want 3 in a row from our last 18 games.

Don't need to. We could go for example;

D W L WW D L WW

Beat Woolwich at home with that form against the other scheduled fixtures and we end up on 68 points.

70-73 points most likely makes top 4. We will likely need to win 3-4 in a row to make that possible.

Let's just beat WHU and take it from there.

Edit: Our remaining fixtures:

NEWCASTLE UNITEDH
ASTON VILLAA
BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBIONH
BRENTFORDA
LEICESTER CITYH
LIVERPOOLA
BURNLEYH
NORWICH CITYA
ARSE-ANALH

Let's just beat WHU and take it from there.

Edit: Our remaining fixtures:

NEWCASTLE UNITEDH
ASTON VILLAA
BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBIONH
BRENTFORDA
LEICESTER CITYH
LIVERPOOLA
BURNLEYH
NORWICH CITYA
ARSE-ANALH
It’s a decent run of games to be fair

We are creating lots of chances every game

Don't need to. We could go for example;

D W L WW D L WW

Beat Woolwich at home with that form against the other scheduled fixtures and we end up on 68 points.

70-73 points most likely makes top 4. We will likely need to win 3-4 in a row to make that possible.

Agree.

Our league form overall has improved since Antonio's appt.

Our 2 new signings have settled in quite quickly. String a few wins together and who knows.

We don't have to win all our games. Just more than Woolwich and make the 2 in hand over the other two teams count.
None of them are consisten. Arse just had a decent run of games.

Last edited:
We still go to Anfield which is an almost impossible ground to get 3 points at, so we'd need to win nearly all of the rest of the games to get top 4. Going to Villa won't be easy, if they take points from Woolwich you can be sure they'll have a very good chance of taking points from us. We'd also need to win both of our big games (West Ham & Woolwich) which we really aren't good at.

Will I go in to the next game with the teensiest bit of hope ? Yes! Do I think it's even slightly likely we achieve top 4? No, not at all.

We still go to Anfield which is an almost impossible ground to get 3 points at, so we'd need to win nearly all of the rest of the games to get top 4. Going to Villa won't be easy, if they take points from Woolwich you can be sure they'll have a very good chance of taking points from us. We'd also need to win both of our big games (West Ham & Woolwich) which we really aren't good at.

Will I go in to the next game with the teensiest bit of hope ? Yes! Do I think it's even slightly likely we achieve top 4? No, not at all.
But if we beat West Ham then you'll jump aboard the Top 4 train yeah...?

U-Bahn Dancing GIF by ZDF

Back during the summer when we couldn't even seem to hire a coach if someone had said we'd be anywhere in hailing distance of top four I would have thought they were daft. And in that stretch under Nuno where we would go half a game and not even muster a shot on goal was grim. Didn't know if Kane would be back and for awhile it didn't seem like he would ever get going. Conte certainly has been interesting and I think the players deserve credit for hanging in through what has been a wild ride. Good and bad season, but in the end maybe more good than bad.

I’m hoping City will have won the title, or close, by the time we go to Anfield, although seems unlikely now.

I think Arse will drop several points but their spirit seems high right now and they’ll nick fourth by 2-3 points.

Back
Top Bottom