The Race For 7th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The thing I find weird is... Why are we, this season, so different to Woolwich last? When pundits were adamant they could go all the way?

We all knew Woolwich's depth wasn't good enough incase they got injuries and they had extra European games.

It's because we're Tottenham. That's literally it. And the narrative will be, "Meh, well they always fall away".

Our start this season was better than Woolwich's at this stage last year... With a much harder fixture list. We play great football. We have no European distraction. Yes our depth isn't the strongest, but neither was there's. They all said an injury to Partey or Saliba or Saka etc and they'd fall away. Lo and behold they did, but they were still talked about.
These are genuinely good points, and actually good omens. Maybe we go under the radar like Leicester did (if we keep our first team fit or add well in Jan). Seriously though, I am a negative objective Spurs fan, and even I can see the bias was towards Woolwich last season and this season.

F8OrG-EW4AAsGPD

F8OrG-CWYAArKa6

Attacking underlying numbers are through the roof, defensive underlying numbers are slightly worrying, our discipline is pretty shit it has to be said but that's probably a symptom of how Ange wants his teams to play.

I guess you can look at this two ways whether you're glass half empty/full - you either think what we are doing is currently not sustainable and we will plateau and things like our discipline and chances conceded will catch up with us, or you recognise that we're only game 8 under Ange ball and we will improve on our metrics.

F8OrG-EW4AAsGPD

F8OrG-CWYAArKa6

Attacking underlying numbers are through the roof, defensive underlying numbers are slightly worrying, our discipline is pretty shit it has to be said but that's probably a symptom of how Ange wants his teams to play.

I guess you can look at this two ways whether you're glass half empty/full - you either think what we are doing is currently not sustainable and we will plateau and things like our discipline and chances conceded will catch up with us, or you recognise that we're only game 8 under Ange ball and we will improve on our metrics.
Our defensive average age has possibly dropped considerably, so I’m going to take a glass half full view medium to long term.

Our defensive average age has possibly dropped considerably, so I’m going to take a glass half full view medium to long term.

Yeah you can only look at that and think our defensive metrics will improve, we have a young back line who are nowhere near their peak and they will get better.

I'm concerned about our discipline though, it's actually mental how many bookings we've picked up, that's probably mostly tactical fouling because we press so high and take risks when we defend.

These are genuinely good points, and actually good omens. Maybe we go under the radar like Leicester did (if we keep our first team fit or add well in Jan). Seriously though, I am a negative objective Spurs fan, and even I can see the bias was towards Woolwich last season and this season.
Agreed on this. There’s a huge positive to being first and most not thinking it will last or not to be taken seriously. You put a big target on the team if you’re first at Christmas because then you’re the team to beat. If we can keep under the radar for as long as possible because 4 of our last 6 games will be very tough. Getting the points now will pay dividends later on

Simon on Twitter said it best really, Super attacking approach leaving big spaces in behind, totally new defense, new pressing patterns and triggers to learn, new teammates learning to communicate and cover for each other — understandable we have conceded lots of chances.

We'll improve over time and when squad is significantly upgraded.

rodri is probably the best anchoring midfielder ever, hes defo a game changer. the fucker scores the big goals in tight games too. genuinely elite footballer.
Definitely elite but similar to Rice, I wouldn’t describe him as a game changer. Players like that, Carrick etc win you leagues though

Definitely elite but similar to Rice, I wouldn’t describe him as a game changer. Players like that, Carrick etc win you leagues though
i rate rice but rodri in a different league to him. youre seeing how important rodri is to city now. they can cope without kdb, they cant cope without rodri, hes the main man.

his passing and decision making and timing is immaculate. ive never seen a better holding midfielder. he runs games.

i rate rice but rodri in a different league to him. youre seeing how important rodri is to city now. they can cope without kdb, they cant cope without rodri, hes the main man.

his passing and decision making and timing is immaculate. ive never seen a better holding midfielder. he runs games.
I hate him

Big fucking muppet, snidey fouls

I don't think he's peak Busquets level tbh - but he's pretty close.

Rice isn't anywhere near either of them.

I mean, Busquets also won the treble.

Twice.
He did indeed, but he wasn't their most important player. Not that the treble is a definitive barometer anyway, moreso City are one of the best sides of all time sadly (you might say the same of that Barcelona side) and Rodri is the main player in that said team. No one even runs him close out of that side imo

This won't be popular, but I think Yaya Toure is better than any of them. Played that position for an all conquering Barca just before Busquets came through, could play as a centre back if necessary (Champions League final) went to Man City and played as an attacking midfielder and hit 20 league goals in a season. Might be one of the best all-round players to ever play, as long as you don't forget his birthday!

Last edited:

Spurs are unbeaten and top of the league. Are they title challengers?​

Tottenham have improved quickly under Ange Postecoglou but a lack of depth may be their undoing
By Ben McAleer for WhoScored

Maybe lack of depth will hurt us but that depends entirely on who gets injured and for how long. We also have Bentancur and Johnson to come back. If Bissouma, Maddison, Son, Romero and Mickey get through an average of 35 matches each then we'll likely be ok.

I have tremendous faith in Ange's problem solving abilities and our lack of depth I think is overstated. By comparison CIty, who are supposed to be the benchmark have been battling without KDB. Any title winning team needs a bit of luck on the injury front. We are no different but are advantaged by being asked to play only once per week until 2024.

We are right in it. There's no question in my mind at all that we are one of the best four teams and that there is not a lot between us and the other three.

This won't be popular, but I think Yaya Toure is better than any of them. Played that position for an all conquering Barca just before Busquets came through, could play as a centre back if necessary (Champions League final) went to Man City and played as an attacking midfielder and hit 20 league goals in a season. Might be one of the best all-round players to ever play, as long as you don't forget his birthday!

I agree and wanted to give this a like and a laugh. Yaya was a beast of a footballer.

He did indeed, but he wasn't their most important player. Not that the treble is a definitive barometer anyway, moreso City are one of the best sides of all time sadly (you might say the same of that Barcelona side) and Rodri is the main player in that said team. No one even runs him close out of that side imo

The most important player in a Pep team is always the DMF so yes he was

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1839400-5-reasons-why-sergio-busquets-underpins-barcelonas-success

I don't think you watched Barca in their pomp just to dismiss them like that, this City team does not beat peak Barca 08/09 or even 10/11, Busquets was at the heart of both teams.

I'm not even mad that people would take Rodri because they both offer different skill sets (guess it comes down to preference) but let's not act like Busquets wasn't key to Barca's team, for my money they've been the best club team I've watched in recent times, better than this City team.

Back
Top Bottom