The race for second place.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To make the trophies we can win a priority and not an afterthought. Take the UEFA cup for example, we are been in that tournament on numerous occasions in the last 14 years and yet have never got part the quarter final stage despite being often the richest club in the tournament. Sevilla, whose resources pale in comparison to us have won 5 in the last 12 years, that simply isn’t acceptable. When an average United side can win a FA Cup, League cup and UEFA cup whilst a at best decent Woolwich side can win 3 FA cups (and potentially a league cup as well now) whilst the best Spurs side on a generation wins nothing then something has to change in our strategy.

Good points mate, but how are Sevilla and woolwich regarded now? Both in decline. Success is perceived differently now. I don’t make the rules, but most neutrals think we are much better than woolwich despite their recent trophy haul. Odd, isn’t it?

This is great. Discussing the unfortunate demise of the Hood with the Hood and Fidel Castro. You don’t get this on SC (or so I’m told).

Well you won’t get get me on SC anymore thanks to what has to be one of the most weird and at the end slightly creepy individuals that I have come across in the spurs online world in A&C. Very strange individual.

It is exactly the gateway to the elite - it is literally that. Rather than have a competition with the Icelandic and Finnish champions competing as equals, you have the 4 best teams in the very best leagues. It’s like the old UEFA cup, but with the actual champions playing. Not just 2nd down to 4th. It’s the pinnacle of European club competition, and here we are in the last 16 of the elite clubs.
I agree with every word of that. However as we all agree the game is now dominated and dictated by money, making the last 16 of the champions league is the minimum we should expect when we look at the latest Deloitte money list. We are an elite club and only when we reach the last 8 can people start to say we are over achieving

Good points mate, but how are Sevilla and woolwich regarded now? Both in decline. Success is perceived differently now. I don’t make the rules, but most neutrals think we are much better than woolwich despite their recent trophy haul. Odd, isn’t it?

I couldn’t care less how we would be regarded, I would just kill to see us win the FA Cup or UEFA cup just once. I’ve done the whole the future thing, I bought into that back in 2004 but that future is now, this is what we talked about and we need to capiltise on that. This team will not last.

This is the thing, it's now considered small time to win the FA Cup and not finish in the top 4. Winning the Europa League is now tainted by the fact that champions league teams drop in to the competition when they fail, it's been horrifically devalued.

No a gateway to join the elite, that it puts us on a par with those clubs. It doesn’t and never will, the likes of Dortmund and A Madrid attest to that. If any tier 2 club shows any modicum of success in that platform then the elite will asset strip them. It has happened to us before and it will happen again but we simply do not and will not posses the capacity to prevent this from happening. The CL is there for the elite, it’s simply UEFAs vehicle to placate them, the rest are their to make up the numbers.
How have we been asset stripped? We’ve beaten two of those sides you mention in qualifying 1st in the toughest group. Don’t go all Gobbygonk on me now. You qualify and then you play two games of football against the opposition to progress. There are only 16 teams left and 4 of them(apart from us) are in our own league. We have a decent chance of progressing. And if we’d won the league cup last year and finished 8th we wouldn’t be playing Juventus in the last 16 of what is now the modern day European Cup and absolutely nobody would be taliking about Spurs. No way would 75,000 people be turning up to watch us play Bournemouth or whoever.

I agree with every word of that. However as we all agree the game is now dominated and dictated by money, making the last 16 of the champions league is the minimum we should expect when we look at the latest Deloitte money list. We are an elite club and only when we reach the last 8 can people start to say we are over achieving

Look at United’s, Barcelona, Real and Bayern’s revenues and compare them to ours and tell me we are an elite club. The likes of City and Chelsea fall into that category as a result of their respective owner. The likes of Liverpool can not even considered that and only the new stadium bridges the gap between us and them.

Look at United’s, Barcelona, Real and Bayern’s revenues and compare them to ours and tell me we are an elite club. The likes of City and Chelsea fall into that category as a result of their respective owner. The likes of Liverpool can not even considered that and only the new stadium bridges the gap between us and them.
In the context of the last 16 of the champions league we are where we should be. We are the 11th biggest club in terms of revenue so anything less would be an under achievement.
Where are you drawing your line on elite club status then. 7th?, 8th or what?

How have we been asset stripped? We’ve beaten two of those sides you mention in qualifying 1st in the toughest group. Don’t go all Gobbygonk on me now. You qualify and then you play two games of football against the opposition to progress. There are only 16 teams left and 4 of them(apart from us) are in our own league. We have a decent chance of progressing. And if we’d won the league cup last year and finished 8th we wouldn’t be playing Juventus in the last 16 of what is now the modern day European Cup and absolutely nobody would be taliking about Spurs. No way would 75,000 people be turning up to watch us play Bournemouth or whoever.

I was referencing the likes of Dortmund, A. Madrid and Monaco but I fully expect to see many of major players be at the likes of Real and Barca on the next 18-24 months. We saw this last time with the likes of Bale and Modric and Liverpool have lost all their best players in recent times despite being in the CL. If any tier 2 club has any semblance of succes in the CL then the elite come calling, we have seen time and after time. As for 75,000 not turning against Bournemouth, well we have been getting 60k plus crowds for such games. We got 75k for an mediocre Everton side.

In the context of the last 16 of the champions league we are where we should be. We are the 11th biggest club in terms of revenue so anything less would be an under achievement.

And? As I said before we we are there for to make up the numbers. The elite status criteria is quite simple they are the clubs with the greatest capacity, in terms of resources, in terms of personnel and in terms of retention. They are the clubs that compete and achieve success consistently at the highest level. We are not one of those clubs and unless something fundamentally changes in the game we never will be.

I was referencing the likes of Dortmund, A. Madrid and Monaco but I fully expect to see many of major players be at the likes of Real and Barca on the next 18-24 months. We saw this last time with the likes of Bale and Modric and Liverpool have lost all their best players in recent times despite being in the CL. If any tier 2 club has any semblance of succes in the CL then the elite come calling, we have seen time and after time. As for 75,000 not turning against Bournemouth, well we have been getting 60k plus crowds for such games. We got 75k for an mediocre Everton side.

Yeah I know. We’re suckers for punishment. Nonetheless you’re more likely (statistically) to see a Spurs victory at the hated Wembley, than a defeat. It is this feeble statistic that keeps me going. I like you Hood - maybe buy you a pint in the 100 yard long bar. I hope you like cheese.

Yeah I know. We’re suckers for punishment. Nonetheless you’re more likely (statistically) to see a Spurs victory at the hated Wembley, than a defeat. It is this feeble statistic that keeps me going. I like you Hood - maybe buy you a pint in the 100 yard long bar. I hope you like cheese.

Well that is progress you thought I was c**t a couple of months back.

Everything is about money to you, rather than the football.

Football is unpredictable, irregardless of money spent. Football is chaos. It isn't linear.

Last edited:
Well you won’t get get me on SC anymore thanks to what has to be one of the most weird and at the end slightly creepy individuals that I have come across in the spurs online world in A&C. Very strange individual.
CmHbecv.gif

Who is this fellow you speak of? Surely there can't be weirder Spurs posters than us here in the madhouse.

Everything is about money to you, rather than the football.

Football is unpredictable, irregardless of money spent. Football is chaos. It isn't linear.
But aren't you one of those constantly saying we are overacheiving due to our lack of financial might compared to our rivals?
Aren't you one that says we ain't got the money to compete with Chavs, united and so on in the transfer market.

And now you say its me that thinks its all about money!!
AZrOkNgQEGcaetoliERQ_Confused Californians.gif

Last edited:
The 82 team would have been closer had it not been for the cup runs. League cup final, cup winners cup semi (where Barca kicked us to shreds), and FA cup final. They were running on empty towards the end of the season, with a much smaller squad, and only one sub then.

Surprised Hoddle ever walked properly again after the Barca semi!

Cunts

Coming close? If we are using a 11 point difference with Leciester and a 7 point difference with Chelsea as a basis of close then our ‘84 campaign certainly falls within that range. The notion that Poch is even on a par with Burkinshaw is absurd let alone him being superior to him.

With the resources Poch currently has against The Manx’s clubs, Chavs etc it’s a minor miracle what he has achieved bearing in mind over the last two seasons we were the top team statistically
I know you don’t get a trophy for that unfortunately but it shows how good Poch is and how lucky we are to have him

In Burkenshaws day resources were much more even

Keith was a good manager

Poch is on the cusp of greatness

So not an absurd opinion after all

Back
Top Bottom