The race for second place.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Season defining 40 days of football begins today. This is what our season is all about.

Next two home league games should be almost full. Juve will be a sell out.

Let’s be the 12th man.
Believe.

YIDS!!

Was just bouncing some thoughts about our situation and wrote to other forum, thought to share my view with you guys as well -
At current point in time, I would say that we are more likely to end up out of top 4 then in. Most probable finishing place seems to be 5th.

I mean, EVEN IF we win today (assuming Chelsea wins as well), it would mean that standing would be -

ManU 53 pts
Chelsea 53 pts
Liverpool 50 pts
Spurs 48 pts

I mean everything is still possible, but we have to be honest here towards ourselves. This pathetic display against Soton really shot ourselves into foot. Add 2 points to our tally in this HYPOTETICAL table and we would be in better position. Every point is worth gold, but we stumbled badly against Soton and with the tactics we use are all likely to stumble in the future as well. I recon that in past season we have finished season on high... but at the same time we did not have CL football either. Let's face it, we did not put too much effort into EL games that we had in those seasons anyways...

Ofc hopefully Toby, Rose, Wanyama and Aurier will get back into full-fitness and make us solid in back and Kane, Eriksen, Alli, Son will stay in red-hot form in front of goal for all the remaining part of the season, we'll put together string of victories and cruise to 2nd. COYS!

Was just bouncing some thoughts about our situation and wrote to other forum, thought to share my view with you guys as well -
At current point in time, I would say that we are more likely to end up out of top 4 then in. Most probable finishing place seems to be 5th.

I mean, EVEN IF we win today (assuming Chelsea wins as well), it would mean that standing would be -

ManU 53 pts
Chelsea 53 pts
Liverpool 50 pts
Spurs 48 pts

I mean everything is still possible, but we have to be honest here towards ourselves. This pathetic display against Soton really shot ourselves into foot. Add 2 points to our tally in this HYPOTETICAL table and we would be in better position. Every point is worth gold, but we stumbled badly against Soton and with the tactics we use are all likely to stumble in the future as well. I recon that in past season we have finished season on high... but at the same time we did not have CL football either. Let's face it, we did not put too much effort into EL games that we had in those seasons anyways...

Ofc hopefully Toby, Rose, Wanyama and Aurier will get back into full-fitness and make us solid in back and Kane, Eriksen, Alli, Son will stay in red-hot form in front of goal for all the remaining part of the season, we'll put together string of victories and cruise to 2nd. COYS!
If only there were 14 games and a further 42 points available to play for, oh! wait a minute.......................

If only there were 14 games and a further 42 points available to play for, oh! wait a minute.......................

Wtf.
I said everything is still possible.
And emphasized this is the current view.

But if you want to keep it on totally meaningless cliche level, then "Points in the table are points in the table. Those that are there now, are worth exactly the same than the points to be won in future."

Wtf.
I said everything is still possible.
And emphasized this is the current view.

But if you want to keep it on totally meaningless cliche level, then "Points in the table are points in the table. Those that are there now, are worth exactly the same than the points to be won in future."
No need to be so sensitive fella, if you post your opinion up be prepared to get a response, many may agree, some my not. Maybe you get one you don't like. If that's the case go defend it, no problem with that, it's what forums are for.

You think the seasons done and that we will not close the gap and we will remain where we are, fine. Personally I find that ridiculous given there's more than a third of the season still left to play. Only position that looks set to predict is City winning the League. Top 6 looks locked. Every other position is still up for grabs. I'm guessing it will go down to the final day to resolve many of the positions.

No need to be so sensitive fella, if you post your opinion up be prepared to get a response, many may agree, some my not. Maybe you get one you don't like. If that's the case go defend it, no problem with that, it's what forums are for.

You think the seasons done and that we will not close the gap and we will remain where we are, fine. Personally I find that ridiculous given there's more than a third of the season still left to play. Only position that looks set to predict is City winning the League. Top 6 looks locked. Every other position is still up for grabs. I'm guessing it will go down to the final day to resolve many of the positions.

Actually that was not my point. Maybe I did not make myself understandable.
I was not offended, nor trying to attack your view. I just meant it is bit moot point. Just sounded as "we don't know what will happen". If we'd remain on that level then all our views and expectations could be summed up in "What is in past has passed and what is yet to come we do not know".

I was trying to reflect on the situation where we are now and what would be LIKELY outcome (we cannot speak in certain terms anyways because future is uncertain) as of now.
i.e - if you would have said "there are 14 games to play, I expect that return of our key players see us having a good run during that games. So we can overcome Pool and Chelsea" - fair. That is your view. But just pointing randomly out that there are games to be played... it is just throwing cliches and not actually sharing your argumented/explained/insightful view.

Actually that was not my point. Maybe I did not make myself understandable.
I was not offended, nor trying to attack your view. I just meant it is bit moot point. Just sounded as "we don't know what will happen". If we'd remain on that level then all our views and expectations could be summed up in "What is in past has passed and what is yet to come we do not know".

I was trying to reflect on the situation where we are now and what would be LIKELY outcome (we cannot speak in certain terms anyways because future is uncertain) as of now.
i.e - if you would have said "there are 14 games to play, I expect that return of our key players see us having a good run during that games. So we can overcome Pool and Chelsea" - fair. That is your view. But just pointing randomly out that there are games to be played... it is just throwing cliches and not actually sharing your argumented/explained/insightful view.
We are currently the inform team in the PL, over the past two seasons we come alive from Christmas onwards, we've done just that again this year, closing points on every single one of the teams in the top 6. I choose to take this as a trend of positivity, it doesn't mean we will win our next three league games, it's a coin toss regarding the outcome of these games because it's against top 6 rival, but there is no denying we are currently the most inform team, just as we have been at this stage of the season for the past three season in a row. This is where I base my judgements, not a crystal ball.

Damn- so much movement in the top 6.
I applaud the Moura move completely and thank Levy and co for getting this done.
Am definitely worried about Woolwich. I don't think Aubameyang will have as easy of a time with PL defenders as he did in the Bundesliga, but he's definitely an upgrade on Lacazette and Giroud. Mkhitaryan didn't seem thrilled about joining them in his interview, but I'm sure he'll be thrilled just be able to get some minutes again.
Anyways, we'll have to really step up our game to overtake Liverpool and Chelsea. This is the crunch-time boys- no more can't be bothered type bs in lower tier opp games- every fucking point will count this season.

Chelsea just lost 0-3 at home.
We just smashed the team who are currently 2nd.
Woolwich and Liverpool can't even beat Swansea.

Second is ours. We're coming.

We are currently the inform team in the PL, over the past two seasons we come alive from Christmas onwards, we've done just that again this year, closing points on every single one of the teams in the top 6. I choose to take this as a trend of positivity, it doesn't mean we will win our next three league games, it's a coin toss regarding the outcome of these games because it's against top 6 rival, but there is no denying we are currently the most inform team, just as we have been at this stage of the season for the past three season in a row. This is where I base my judgements, not a crystal ball.

See, here is an opinion I can 100% accept and understand :) if you would have reasoned it like this in the first place my overreaction wouldnt have happened.

Though factually it depends on what kind of period we look at. In last 6 games Pool has gained 15 points and us 14, so not actually gained. Over last 10 we are behind ManCity (not that we would be competing with them this season in league anyway). But point taken.

I am just afraid that raised expectations in CL progress and a bit weaker away form might become costly but ofc I hope they will not. Don't get me wrong, 2nd place would make me extremely happy. Just mentioned what I saw at this point in time ;)

Usually this is time of a season a Poch teams gets into its best form. Our next 9 matches are pivotal. If we’ll get enough points to create a comfortable margin we could see it through

Biggest problem is our away form at the big clubs. Two away games left in that sense and against two of the four teams above us.

Woolwich at home is crucial to retaining that gap ahead of them which they are potentially likely to close this weekend.

Liverpool and Woolwich both have a ridiculously easy run in. Whilst they are also the most likely to drop points against the lesser teams there is also the possibility that they don't.

lsWtATsxO48I7fC1qVbqhpgurTGr89tmAps0W8LAdUY.png

Biggest problem is our away form at the big clubs. Two away games left in that sense and against two of the four teams above us.

Woolwich at home is crucial to retaining that gap ahead of them which they are potentially likely to close this weekend.

Liverpool and Woolwich both have a ridiculously easy run in. Whilst they are also the most likely to drop points against the lesser teams there is also the possibility that they don't.

Thing is with Liverpool, that’s where they struggle. Teams who sit back and accept the pressure usually frustrate Liverpool.

All heading towards what could be a great finish to the League this season. So many 6 pointers in the top 4 race.

The Manchester clubs have the biggest part to play, United having 3 home games which could really help us out.
Liverpool having only lost 3 times to date probably the stronger favourites for top4 but so inconsistent.

Here’s hoping to another strong finish to our. campaign.

Spurs— Woolwich (H), City (H), Chelsea (A)

United —Chelsea (H), Liverpool (H), City (A), Woolwich (H)

Chelsea — United (A), City (A), Spurs (H), Liverpool (H)

Liverpool — United (A), Chelsea (A)

Woolwich —Spurs (A), City (H), United (A)

All heading towards what could be a great finish to the League this season. So many 6 pointers in the top 4 race.

The Manchester clubs have the biggest part to play, United having 3 home games which could really help us out.
Liverpool having only lost 3 times to date probably the stronger favourites for top4 but so inconsistent.

Here’s hoping to another strong finish to our. campaign.

Spurs— Woolwich (H), City (H), Chelsea (A)

United —Chelsea (H), Liverpool (H), City (A), Woolwich (H)

Chelsea — United (A), City (A), Spurs (H), Liverpool (H)

Liverpool — United (A), Chelsea (A)

Woolwich —Spurs (A), City (H), United (A)

Looking at that we got to hope United finish second so we can grab 3rd/4th.

Back
Top Bottom