The race for second place.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With the resources Poch currently has against The Manx’s clubs, Chavs etc it’s a minor miracle what he has achieved bearing in mind over the last two seasons we were the top team statistically
I know you don’t get a trophy for that unfortunately but it shows how good Poch is and how lucky we are to have him

In Burkenshaws day resources were much more even

Keith was a good manager

Poch is on the cusp of greatness

So not an absurd opinion after all
My point the whole time Bazali about Poch could possibly be the next one in time to take us to bigger and better and then be considered as a great like Bill.

giphy.gif

We built the new stadium at the worst time possible. Imagine us having the stadium built five years ago with this squad on their prime
It had to be built at some point. Better to do it now before teams like the chavs etc build a new stadium and then get even further ahead of us. IMO.Our squad isn't even in its prime yet and it will only get better when we can attract one or two more players that will improve the team

We built the new stadium at the worst time possible. Imagine us having the stadium built five years ago with this squad on their prime
There's possibly some benefits to doing it now. We've been able to show some years of challenging for the title, and ergo CL revenues. So I presume we're a better bet financially for the lenders, and with lower repayment rates.

Also, in the last couple of years there's been an explosion in TV revenues. We might be able to pay the loans off quicker. And I think we're more likely to get sell out crowds of 61,000 now.

All in all, the timing's been pretty lucky for us (Goons for example borrowed money at much higher rates of interest?)

Yes top 4 is a priority BUT if we really want to be one of the top 4 teams in the Country and not a fringe top 4 team we need to do it consistently AND win the odd trophy along the way as the other top 4 teams do.
Our away form against the other top 6 teams is abysmal and we lost a semi last season away at wembley. IF we get there this season there is a good chance we will again get another top 6 team to play BUT it will be like a home match. That is why this season we need to do both.

You have to plan many years ahead and can't just build it at the last minute, when you're ready to.

We were thinking at the start of this season/end of last season, that the timing was awful because we had a great chance to win the league this season at WHL. As it happens, it's almost certain that Man City would have won it even if we were at the Lane this year. In that sense, the timing is decent; we haven't lost a shot at the league title over it.

If we had been at Wembley last year, we wouldn't have finished second and we wouldn't have so many great memories of that season.

Our last 11 games consist of 8 wins, 2 draws and loss. There's your perspective. And you're saying we can't talk about that as it's convenience?!

Then go on to say you're only confident of 1 win in our next 6. But that's not based on form (something that has actually happened), so basically your own negativity.

What a load of old shite. Laughable.

Not really my negativity or a lot of old shite as you put it.

We cannot overlook Prem opponents and I think this was proven in the Swansea victory against Liverpool. In their minds, an easy 3 points. If we go in with the same mentality we will drop points like we did against Southampton. Poch always talks about mentality and this is key.

What I am trying to say is we need to respect our opponents and not have auch high expectations. If you compare our schedule in the last 11 games versus our next 11 games, is it realistic to expect the same number of points and results considering we play 3 of the top 3 and Juve twice? Probably not. However, if we do get that return - yes we will finish top 4 and potentially even 2nd!

Not being negative. I am just asking to not believe that because we accumulated 19 points in 24 from our last 8 matches that we can expect to get the same in the next 8. The schedule is far tougher!

#COYS

Yes top 4 is a priority BUT if we really want to be one of the top 4 teams in the Country and not a fringe top 4 team we need to do it consistently AND win the odd trophy along the way as the other top 4 teams do.
Our away form against the other top 6 teams is abysmal and we lost a semi last season away at wembley. IF we get there this season there is a good chance we will again get another top 6 team to play BUT it will be like a home match. That is why this season we need to do both.

But the pressure of both is the problem. It is why the West Ham league cup loss was so painful to me.

No guarantees but an additional chance to break the hoodoo thrown away.

With the resources Poch currently has against The Manx’s clubs, Chavs etc it’s a minor miracle what he has achieved bearing in mind over the last two seasons we were the top team statistically
I know you don’t get a trophy for that unfortunately but it shows how good Poch is and how lucky we are to have him

In Burkenshaws day resources were much more even

Keith was a good manager

Poch is on the cusp of greatness

So not an absurd opinion after all

Define resources, if it is financial resources them no we cannot compete with those clubs but if we are talking about personnel then we absolutely we have. We have one of the best sides in the league as reflected in the league placings in the last 2 years but the issue is that this isn’t translating into silverware. Inferior footballing sides such as Leicester, United and Woolwich have managed to amass silverware in recent seasons where as in truth we haven’t really come close. Our financial resources will ensure that our current side will not remain in place for long and so far we have we not capitalised on this. And I fail to see how we are on the cusp of greatness with Poch when the side has regressed from last season. If anything he peaked last last season, the scope for success has become more limited as the elite are far more stronger than they have been in the last couple of years. Again we need to base this on what both men have achieved, Poch has not won anything despite having the best Spurs in a generation. Burkinhsaw had the same level of talent but won 3 major trophies. The suggestion that Poch is superior is mind boggling.

The home factor wasn’t a big thing with him anyways
Playing at Wembley with the best team we have had in a generation is the best time to play at Wembley (or any stadium for a year away from WHL). Any other team/manager would have struggled, really, really struggled. Highly likely AVB would have taken us down, we probably would have done a West Ham and stayed up securing the final point needed in our last 2 or 3 games.

Playing at Wembley with the best team we have had in a generation is the best time to play at Wembley (or any stadium for a year away from WHL). Any other team/manager would have struggled, really, really struggled. Highly likely AVB would have taken us down, we probably would have done a West Ham and stayed up securing the final point needed in our last 2 or 3 games.
I agree that the best time to do it is when we are at our strongest. It's dodgy as fuck playing away from your stadium...I can't wait to see what happens to Chelsea when they're there for 4 years. People have been taking the piss out of us, but at the end of the day our first team has only lost one game there all season, which is pretty good going.

Being pedantic, IMO in the first AVB season Bale would have kept us up, and in the second, well AVB would have been sacked (as he was). But it would have been tough and we would have lost players. Maybe Sherwood would have taken us down in his place, though I doubt it.

Define resources, if it is financial resources them no we cannot compete with those clubs but if we are talking about personnel then we absolutely we have. We have one of the best sides in the league as reflected in the league placings in the last 2 years but the issue is that this isn’t translating into silverware. Inferior footballing sides such as Leicester, United and Woolwich have managed to amass silverware in recent seasons where as in truth we haven’t really come close. Our financial resources will ensure that our current side will not remain in place for long and so far we have we not capitalised on this. And I fail to see how we are on the cusp of greatness with Poch when the side has regressed from last season. If anything he peaked last last season, the scope for success has become more limited as the elite are far more stronger than they have been in the last couple of years. Again we need to base this on what both men have achieved, Poch has not won anything despite having the best Spurs in a generation. Burkinhsaw had the same level of talent but won 3 major trophies. The suggestion that Poch is superior is mind boggling.

Financial resources so we can’t compete

Have we regressed from last season?

It’s only January and we’re well in contention for top four

We’re still in contention for CL having finished well clear at the top of the group of death with games to spare unlike last season

You’re talking shite mate and you have the nerve to accuse me of being mind boggling

I’ve already explained why you can’t compare Poch with Burkenshaw

Back
Top Bottom